Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #31
hereyago
DIS Veteran

Poor pup! Hope he gets better soon. Hate when our fur babies are sick.
hereyago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #32
nomie74
Mouseketeer

My yorkie has had hg twice, both times after the loss of other pets. The vets said she's so in tune with me and I was so upset that the stress caused the hg. She was on carafate, flagyl and amoxicillin for 10 days and wasn't supposed to eat anything for the first 24 hours. It was so stressful because I had just lost my german shepherd to sudden cardiac arrest in his sleep and then my little yorkie was so sick, and the vet was telling me not cry it was making her worse!! But by catching it quick like you did seems to be the trick with hg- sometimes people don't bring dogs in and they get really dehydrated.
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #33
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomie74 View Post
My yorkie has had hg twice, both times after the loss of other pets. The vets said she's so in tune with me and I was so upset that the stress caused the hg. She was on carafate, flagyl and amoxicillin for 10 days and wasn't supposed to eat anything for the first 24 hours. It was so stressful because I had just lost my german shepherd to sudden cardiac arrest in his sleep and then my little yorkie was so sick, and the vet was telling me not cry it was making her worse!! But by catching it quick like you did seems to be the trick with hg- sometimes people don't bring dogs in and they get really dehydrated.
You know, I suspect this might be stress related. From what I've read today, they don't really know why dogs get this, but stress seems to be a factor. Tiki was very abused and traumatized when we rescued him 4 months ago. Since then, either DH or I have pretty much been home all the time (I work from home, DH is retired). We have gone out of town several times in the last 4 weeks, usually just a few days at a time and DD20 takes care of him for us. Tiki goes to doggy daycare a couple days a week. We went out of town for a week during July 4 and that was when he started going off his food.

Tiki is not allowed raw meat, and actually he gets very little people food. He's not very food driven to start with, so we don't give him many treats or anything. The vet did a fecal culture Sat. but so far that has not grown anything. She rechecked his PCV--it's back to normal (42), from a high of 60 on Sat.

I can't even believe this is the same dog! Tiki is so happy and spunky now! I guess that's what 3 days of fluids, doggy Toradol, doggy Zofran, and antibiotics will do for a dog. After getting a liter of fluids & electrolytes we're calling him "Sea Biscuit", cuz he's peeing like a racehorse. No more diarrhea either. His gums are nice & pink, and moist. His eyes are sparkling. I know he must feel sooo much better. His tummy is soft.

So, here is what I've learned from the experience--

#1-- Always, ALWAYS listen to my Spidey Senses. When this started Sat morning, DH thought I was overreacting by insisting that Tiki go to the vet. I just knew that something was really wrong, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Even Sunday, when Tiki didnt' look better DH thought I was sorta carrying on by taking Tiki to the emergency vet. This morning when the bloody diarrhea started, I didn't even have to say anything. DH gathered up Tiki himself and ran to the car! Note to self--DH is not a medical person. He once declined a brain biopsy AFTER the neurosurgeon told him it was probably cancer. DH is probably not the one you want to ask veterinary advice from.

#2-- Don't give our doggy anything but premium dog food. No rib bones from the Rib Shack, no left-over bone from the ham steak, no scraps from the table. No more peanut butter either. The vet thinks he may have food allergies, very common in Bichons. And no more of the Shelter Blend spray(Rescue Remedy-type flower essentials). I had no idea that it had Brandy in it as a carrier! That prolly didn't help his tummy. In about a week, I'm going to start introducing a limited diet, probably Natural Balance. It worked great with Minky, who had terrible food allergies.

#3-- Don't discount the level of stress this dog has previously experienced. PTSD should be respected. It will be much easier and cheaper to travel with the dog, than to pay over $1000 for 3 days worth of aggressive vet care.

Last edited by minkydog; 07-15-2013 at 09:22 PM.
minkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #34
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog View Post

You know, I suspect this might be stress related. From what I've read today, they don't really know why dogs get this, but stress seems to be a factor. Tiki was very abused and traumatized when we rescued him 4 months ago. Since then, either DH or I have pretty much been home all the time (I work from home, DH is retired). We have gone out of town several times in the last 4 weeks, usually just a few days at a time. Tiki goes to doggy daycare a couple days a week. We went out of town for a week during July 4 and that was when he started going off his food.

Tiki is not allowed raw meat, and actually he gets very little people food. He's not very food driven to start with, so we don't give him many treats or anything. The vet did a fecal culture Sat. but so far that has not grown anything. She rechecked his PCV--it's back to normal (42), from a high of 60 on Sat.

I can't even believe this is the same dog! Tiki is so happy and spunky now! I guess that's what 3 days of fluids, doggy Toradol, doggy Zofran, and antibiotics will do for a dog. After getting a liter of fluids & electrolytes we're calling him "Sea Biscuit", cuz he's peeing like a racehorse. No more diarrhea either. His gums are nice & pink, and moist. His eyes are sparkling. I know he must feel sooo much better. His tummy is soft.

So, here is what I've learned from the experience--

#1-- Always, ALWAYS listen to my Spidey Senses. When this started Sat morning, DH thought I was overreacting by insisting that Tiki go to the vet. I just knew that something was really wrong, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Even Sunday, when Tiki didnt' look better DH thought I was sorta carrying on by taking Tiki to the emergency vet. This morning when the bloody diarrhea started, I didn't even have to say anything. DH gathered up Tiki himself and ran to the car! Note to self--DH is not a medical person. He once declined a brain biopsy AFTER the neurosurgeon told him it was probably cancer. DH is probably not the one you want to ask veterinary advice from.

#2-- Don't give our doggy anything but premium dog food. No rib bones from the Rib Shack, no left-over bone from the ham steak, no scraps from the table. No more peanut butter either. The vet thinks he may have food allergies, very common in Bichons. And no more of the Shelter Blend spray(Rescue Remedy-type flower essentials). I had no idea that it had Brandy in it as a carrier! That prolly didn't help his tummy. In about a week, I'm going to start introducing a limited diet, probably Natural Balance. It worked great with Minky, you had terrible food allergies.

#3-- Don't discount the level of stress this dog has previously experienced. PTSD should be respected. It will be much easier and cheaper to travel with the dog, than to pay over $1000 for 3 days worth of aggressive vet care.
Yay I love a happy ending!!!! Glad Tiki is on the mend!

I've been BOO'ed by GoofyinToronto!
pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #35
nancygirl1
Mouseketeer

I'm so glad he's doing better...

The poor little guy...he's been through so much and now he has a forever family who loves him & takes amazing care of him. He's a lucky pooch
nancygirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #36
leebee
DIS Veteran

Gotta trust the Spidey Sense EVERY time! Kids, pets, husbands, travel, etc... Spidey Sense has gotten me through a LOT of things!
Old 07-16-2013, 12:59 AM   #37
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

So glad Tiki is doing better!!!!!!
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:12 AM   #38
nomie74
Mouseketeer

I'm glad he's doing better!
Old 07-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #39
BlueStarryHat

Just picture everyone sitting at the computer in their underwear

It's so nice to hear that Tiki is doing better.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #40
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

How is Tiki today?

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #41
luvgoing2disney
DIS Veteran

Wonderful news! Give Tiki a special hug from all the Diser's!

1997, 2000, 2002, 2004, Disneyland 2005, 2006, October 2007, May 2008, Christmas 2009, Disneyland 2011, April 2012, May 2013, September 2013, Disneyland April 2014
luvgoing2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #42
RNMOM
BLEEDING HEART LIBERAL

Sorry your pup has been ill. Glad to hear he is feeling better.
RNMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #43
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
How is Tiki today?
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvgoing2disney View Post
Wonderful news! Give Tiki a special hug from all the Diser's!
Also hoping Tiki is doing better today!
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #44
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
Also hoping Tiki is doing better today!
Tiki is hanging in there pretty well. He slept a lot this morning--I think he's pretty tired from his ordeal this weekend. No vomiting. He's had a few small loose stools, a few soft stools and 1 or 2 almost formed stools. I still see what looks like a little blood occasionally, but it looks 100% better than yesterday. He ate breakfast but he has only picked at supper. But his demeanor is pretty normal--giving kisses, running to the door when he hears one of us come in, doing his little "gotta go potty" dance. He even showed a little interest in some bunnies that were playing tag in my neighbor's yard across the street.

I have to go down to Mobile to see my Mom this weekend. Mother has a nice dog and 2 cats, which Tiki has met before. DH & I were going to take him with us, but we've decided he needs to stay home with Tiki. I think a trip out of town right now might not be a good idea for my doggy, at least until he recovers more.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #45
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
DIS Official Rum Taster

Yikes! Maybe I spoke too soon. Tiki just had a watery stool with obvious blood in it on my hardwood floor. Not a ton of blood, but definitely there. I have to go to work in the morning,but I'm putting DH on poop watch. If he has more of these watery-bloody stools, Tiki's going right back to the vet!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: