Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #16
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

I was going to say last night - with vomiting and/or diarrhea (which German Shepherds tend to have a lot of, so I've been dealing with it forever) our vet always has us keep the dog NPO (nothing by mouth for those non-medial folks) except water for 24 hours. The reason for this is that the GI track, as evidenced by the vomiting and diarrhea, is likely inflamed and not working correctly; it can't absorb or move food very well, etc. (all the things a functional GI tract does), so the food comes back up. If it's run-of-the-mill vomiting and diarrhea, once the inflammation subsides a bit (after 24 hrs) then you can introduce a very small amount at a time of broth, rice, cottage cheese, chicken or hamburger, if the pet feels like eating it, and increase it over the next few days. This is pretty standard. Many people don't realize this and often the vomiting and diarrhea continues as food simply can't be tolerated by an inflamed GI system. In children, it's a little different - they can tell us they aren't hungry or that food is making them feel sick. Dogs will often keep eating, lol. (Not blaming you, Minky, just putting this out there as a general FYI.) Of course if there's a bigger problem like a blockage or an intussusception, then that's a different matter altogether. Keeping you guys in my thoughts today!

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #17
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog View Post
Well, here we are at the emergency vet. Tiki has vomited 5 times since 11pm and now he has diarrhea. He's lethargic and rather pitiful. Won't drink water at all. Ugh. I hate when my doggy is sick.
Oh crud.

Hope they figure out what is wrong soon!

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #18
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Okay, the xrays are clear, thank goodness. The vet thinks its prolly pancreatitis. He's giving Tiki some fluids, plus a shot of something for pain & nausea and a shot of antibiotic. We didn't do any labs since he just had them drawn yesterday. I just want to take Tiki home and let him sleep this off.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #19
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

Quote:
Okay, the xrays are clear, thank goodness. The vet thinks its prolly pancreatitis. He's giving Tiki some fluids, plus a shot of something for pain & nausea and a shot of antibiotic. We didn't do any labs since he just had them drawn yesterday. I just want to take Tiki home and let him sleep this off.
Awe, poor pup!

I've been BOO'ed by GoofyinToronto!
pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #20
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

How is Tiki doing?

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Old 07-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #21
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear about you puppy
Old 07-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #22
FlyingDumbo
DIS Veteran

Poor Tiki! Hope he makes a speedy recovery. Seems like he is in good hands!
FlyingDumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #23
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring

Hope he is doing better
Old 07-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #24
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
How is Tiki doing?
Well, he's pretty stoned on whatever they gave him for pain. No further vomiting or diarrhea, though. I haven't been able to get him to pee for about 6 hours; he's just lying there with his eyes closed. I keep checking his breathing--so far, so good. His regular vet is going to call in the a.m. with his labs, when she gets them. We'll see how it goes tonight. He may need to go in again tomorrow if he doesn't improve.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #25
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Sorry to hear your pup is not well. Did the vet test for parvo? Hope you get some good news and Tiki is feeling better quickly.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #26
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
DIS Official Rum Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
Sorry to hear your pup is not well. Did the vet test for parvo? Hope you get some good news and Tiki is feeling better quickly.
I don't think so. I believe Tiki had his parvo vax in February.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #27
luvgoing2disney
DIS Veteran

Sending Pixie Dust for Tiki. I know how hard it is when our furry friends are sick. Please keep us posted

1997, 2000, 2002, 2004, Disneyland 2005, 2006, October 2007, May 2008, Christmas 2009, Disneyland 2011, April 2012, May 2013, September 2013, Disneyland April 2014
luvgoing2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #28
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
DIS Official Rum Taster

HEMORRHAGIC GASTROENTERITIS!! Holy smokes! No more vomiting but now there's bloody diarrhea. Tiki went back to the vet today for an IV & some electrolytes. His blood glucose is very low and he hasn't drunk anything since Saturday, so he's a bit dehydrated. On the up side, he did muster enough energy to bark at the vet and give DD20 a little weak kiss. Mostly he just wants to lie still--he acts like his stomach hurts a lot. I'm on my way to see the vet again, and hoping we can bring Tiki home for the night.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #29
luvsmickeymouse
Opt to Adopt!

Oh no, praying for Tiki.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #30
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
HEMORRHAGIC GASTROENTERITIS!! Holy smokes! No more vomiting but now there's bloody diarrhea. Tiki went back to the vet today for an IV & some electrolytes. His blood glucose is very low and he hasn't drunk anything since Saturday, so he's a bit dehydrated. On the up side, he did muster enough energy to bark at the vet and give DD20 a little weak kiss. Mostly he just wants to lie still--he acts like his stomach hurts a lot. I'm on my way to see the vet again, and hoping we can bring Tiki home for the night.
Yikes! Did they do a stool culture? I'm wondering about something like EColi.

It does hurt a lot because (with HG or EC) there is colitis with sloughing of the insides of the large intestine - that's what the blood is. People require morphine. Poor little guy!

ETA And if it is EC, kidney function and CBC must be closely monitored. Did he have any raw or undercooked beef? If so, consider this as a strong possibility.

Last edited by Pea-n-Me; 07-15-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: