DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #16
sonofanarchy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman93
We should establish a permalink to this thread for all the people who say "you'd have to be an idiot to waste your money buying direct".
Eh, so you find another contract. Worth the effort to save literally 100%.
sonofanarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #17
sonofanarchy
DIS Veteran

Exactly. With AKL you're paying more than double if you go direct. How anyone can justify that is beyond my understanding.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #18
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofanarchy View Post

Exactly. With AKL you're paying more than double if you go direct. How anyone can justify that is beyond my understanding.
Just to play devils advocate, if someone has a cash trip planned and can buy through Disney direct and use the points instead on the cash, it might not make it quite double...

But, I agree, it is hard to justify buying from Disney a resort so readily available on the resale market, unless its for a contract size that's you simply can not find. We did that with BLT...we added on 30 points direct a few years back, even though it was $20 more than resale...

Sandisw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #19
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

While not a routine occurrence - it's not a RARE occurrence either - maybe re-sales don't go thru for different reasons but it happens = be real

Re-sale is a game/gamble and you have to be willing to play the game without the emotional investment. JMO

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #20
sonofanarchy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld

While not a routine occurrence - it's not a RARE occurrence either - maybe re-sales don't go thru for different reasons but it happens = be real

Re-sale is a game/gamble and you have to be willing to play the game without the emotional investment. JMO
DVC, like any timeshare is a gamble. Life can change in an instant by loss of income. A cash vacation can always be cancelled for a full refund and no credit damage in a worse case scenario. The same can't be said for timeshares, whether it happens to say Disney on the deed or not.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #21
dbs1228
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post

Sure it is a gamble and I have had 2 really good BWV contracts taken back by Disney but on my third try I paid a little more for a LOADED contract that passed I am going to rent 2012 points and will end up paying 66.00PP MUCH BETTER THEN 130.00pp or the 115.00 locked in rate in which people are STILL waiting for their points, I should have mine in my account at the beginning of August - well worth saving over 10,000.00! While direct purchasers are still waiting just saying.......

dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #22
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1228 View Post
Sure it is a gamble and I have had 2 really good BWV contracts taken back by Disney but on my third try I paid a little more for a LOADED contract that passed I am going to rent 2012 points and will end up paying 66.00PP MUCH BETTER THEN 130.00pp or the 115.00 locked in rate in which people are STILL waiting for their points, I should have mine in my account at the beginning of August - well worth saving over 10,000.00! While direct purchasers are still waiting just saying.......
proven

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #23
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Last year I had 4 OKW in a row taken back by Disney in ROFR. That didn't make me look at direct, it made me look at other resorts and I ended up buying more SSR and BWV points.

There are lots and lots of negatives with buying resale, but it does have one advantage that is important to me and that is price. The key for every buyer is understand what the advantages and disadvantages are for direct and resale.

Last edited by DougEMG; 07-14-2013 at 12:28 AM.
DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #24
nd43
Disney Fan

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope you get a better contract the next time.

Last edited by nd43; 07-14-2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Removed per admin edits / suggestions
nd43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #25
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

In the world of gambling buying DVC resale has pretty good odds if you just want to talk about getting the points by your planned date.

Ya'll come out to Nevada and see some real gambling.

(Interestingly enough it's the one state that you can't purchase direct from).

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:52 AM   #26
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirnmart View Post
mirnmart---240 OKW (April), $62, 121 '12 points and all forward, buyer pays closing and 1/2 mf (sub 5/21, passed 6/17)

Details of the contract for those who are interested...thanks for the sympathy...back to the drawing board!
That was a nice contract. I'm actually a little surprised it actually made it through ROFR. Did the broker give any indication on why it happened? Did the seller just change their mind on selling or are they thinking they can get more money now given the spike in price?

DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #27
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

OK, the arguing and attacks MUST stop. While we are all passionate about DVC in some fashion but the constant bickering about the mental capabilities of members based on their choice of purchase methodology cannot continue.

We can all either be part of the solution or part of the problem. The choice is up to each of us.

Choose wisely.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #28
mirnmart
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
That was a nice contract. I'm actually a little surprised it actually made it through ROFR. Did the broker give any indication on why it happened? Did the seller just change their mind on selling or are they thinking they can get more money now given the spike in price?
We were also pleasantly surprised when it passed ROFR! The broker said the seller is a recent widow and when he kids (adult kids I think??) found out he had sold they were upset so he changed his mind.
Wasn't expecting this post to spark so much debate! We will continue to look for another resale contract but makes no difference to me if people choose resale or direct....whatever makes you happy
IN the grand scheme of things this really is no big deal and such a first world problem.....but thanks for letting me vent anyways!
Old 07-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #29
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirnmart View Post
We were also pleasantly surprised when it passed ROFR! The broker said the seller is a recent widow and when he kids (adult kids I think??) found out he had sold they were upset so he changed his mind.
You will find something better- everything for a reason. Sounds like an unfortunate situation for the family- recent widow & probably many fond DVC memories. Also, unfortunate on your end but good to know that it wasn't because they were looking for more $$. Good luck in your search.
NoleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #30
dbs1228
DIS Veteran

I have to wonder what would have happened if Disney did ROFR'd the contract would the seller be able to change their minds so easily does anyone know? Just curious

dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: