DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #16
BestDadEver
New DVC Member

Id just add 25 to akv , really what good is 25 points at GFV, looking at the point charts even banked and borrowed you don't get far . Unless you like split stays I guess , but to get 3 nights every 3 years seems silly to me . Id just try my luck at 7 months

BestDadEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #17
spruce
DIS Veteran

I think the best small points contract number is whatever it takes to get a studio for a Friday and Saturday during magic season. Since the weekend/weekday points were levalized this minimum isn't as as good as it was before the reallocation.
Buy where you want to stay.
Register to remove

Old 07-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #18
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
I think we are forgetting another option...not buying. I'm not sure what the OP's situation is or why 25 points would make that much of a difference. But with that size contract there are no economies of scale resale or direct, and any value that could potentially be had is completely priced out of the product.
Not really..that is a completely different question...we added on a 30 point contract a few years ago because it made sense for what we wanted and felt it fit our needs...and yes, at the time, those 30 points made a difference...

Let's try to remember that there are values to points besides it always coming down to economics...yes, there are some who will always look at the bottom line and make that the priority, there are others who won't, and some who try to find a balance between the two...

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #19
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandisw View Post
Not really..that is a completely different question...we added on a 30 point contract a few years ago because it made sense for what we wanted and felt it fit our needs...and yes, at the time, those 30 points made a difference...

Let's try to remember that there are values to points besides it always coming down to economics...yes, there are some who will always look at the bottom line and make that the priority, there are others who won't, and some who try to find a balance between the two...
I totally agree that sometimes a small add-on is all an owner needs, but I don't quite understand the pull of a 25-point contract at an entirely new resort (especially one as point-heavy as VGF). You're only talking about having enough points there for a night or two every couple of years.

There's two kinds of "value" at work here, which contract would be a better fit for the OP's current holdings. And which contract would retain value on the resale market.

Personally, if the OP needs another 25 points to make their vacations work, I'd buy the AKV points. If the OP really wants a VGF contract, I'd make the AKV points as they are and save a bit longer to buy a slightly larger VGF contract.

You'll take a bath when it comes to the value of the AKV add-on if you went to sell it later. The VGF contract should hold value better, but we don't know that for sure yet.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #20
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisFanatic View Post
Hi! We currently own 200AKV points and are looking to add 25 more, but don't know if we should add on at AKV or go for the GFV?
Has anybody run into this predicament? What are your thought... What would you do and why?
Thanks!!
what are you using the extra points for? want to stay @ VGF ? extra night stay? if so, preference on where? booking window?
NoleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #21
DisFanatic
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone for your insights! We only need 25 points to make our vacation work for us and have had no luck in the resale market, finding a 25 AKV with our use year its like finding a needle in a haystack. :-)
I asked the question since both resorts are the same price right now..
We have decided to add at AKV... As it doesn't make sense to have a couple nights at GFV when we could have an extra night or two at AKV CL at the 11 month mark...

DisFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #22
nd43
Disney Fan

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your insights! We only need 25 points to make our vacation work for us and have had no luck in the resale market, finding a 25 AKV with our use year its like finding a needle in a haystack. :-)
We have decided to add at AKV... As it doesn't make sense to have a couple nights at GFV when we could have an extra night or two at AKV CL at the 11 month mark...
I certainly think you made a good choice (for whatever that is worth!).

I think keeping the single contract together and just trying VGF at 7 months when you want to try it is the way to go with a 25 pt add on.

You will need most of those 200+ points to stay at VGF. For our first two reservations at VGF, we had to use 991 points (gulp!). So, now I have almost no points left through 2015 and we just started with DVC!
nd43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #23
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think that's a reasonable option if you only need 25 points but what about going a little bigger and looking for up to say 60 points, it's be more dues but close to the same purchase price.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #24
DisFanatic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
I think that's a reasonable option if you only need 25 points but what about going a little bigger and looking for up to say 60 points, it's be more dues but close to the same purchase price.
We don't need 60 points right now, just DH and myself... Plus, if I do not have to give additional money to Disney in the form of dues.. Even better :-)

DisFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #25
Sur
Love the Dis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
I totally agree that sometimes a small add-on is all an owner needs, but I don't quite understand the pull of a 25-point contract at an entirely new resort (especially one as point-heavy as VGF).
We just wanted a night, here and there, to go to Victoria & Albert's, have a leisurely meal, and head back for a good night's sleep in a beautiful room (with a kitchen or kitchenette to keep the party going perhaps).

I know, it's hard to imagine all the considerations of people's needs, they are so varied.

Quote:
I hope MSUmom sees this, as she was on the ROFR board, mentioned selling her AKV points, and was surprised that it was snatched up quickly. THIS is why people buy fast! http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...postcount=3001

Last edited by Sur; 07-17-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #26
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
I would not, under any circumstances, buy AKV direct right now. The price:value ratio is so far out of whack that it is a financial disaster.
Just interested, can you elaborate?
Nabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #27
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We don't need 60 points right now, just DH and myself... Plus, if I do not have to give additional money to Disney in the form of dues.. Even better :-)
Here's my thinking on your situation. AKV points are barely over half retail and the fees are fairly high there. If you really only need 25 points but not enough you could not make good use of 50 to 60, you're likely best off doing nothing. It's easy to stretch 200 to 225 and just as easy to use up 250 for most. Certainly an extra 25 (50 total) will be an additional $125 roughly over just the 25 points every year. I don't see adding 25 points resale as a reasonable value for the situation as described. That said, if you are only going to add 25 or so, retail vs resale likely doesn't matter due to the higher final cost of smaller resale and finding the right UY/size. Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #28
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabas View Post
Just interested, can you elaborate?
I can't speak for ELMC and I might not be quite so absolute, but I do have thoughts on this subject along the same lines. Some resorts are far more desirable than others as determined by price and/or availability resale. I'll limit my thoughts to on property only. IMO, SSR/OKW/AKV are generally much cheaper resale than retail and have reasonable availability enough that there's more seller competition. The principles apply fairly well to BWV & VWL and a little less to BCV it seems. Two absolutes that I do endorse are never finance DVC and that there's nothing of value lost with resale given the current restrictions (never say never but this is pretty close). Back when the price difference was 20% between resale and retail I think reasonable people could go either way. However, I do not share that opinion currently for resorts available for around half and for contract sizes of sufficient size (say 100 or greater maybe less). My thoughts, YMMV.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #29
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I can't speak for ELMC and I might not be quite so absolute, but I do have thoughts on this subject along the same lines. Some resorts are far more desirable than others as determined by price and/or availability resale. I'll limit my thoughts to on property only. IMO, SSR/OKW/AKV are generally much cheaper resale than retail and have reasonable availability enough that there's more seller competition. The principles apply fairly well to BWV & VWL and a little less to BCV it seems. Two absolutes that I do endorse are never finance DVC and that there's nothing of value lost with resale given the current restrictions (never say never but this is pretty close). Back when the price difference was 20% between resale and retail I think reasonable people could go either way. However, I do not share that opinion currently for resorts available for around half and for contract sizes of sufficient size (say 100 or greater maybe less). My thoughts, YMMV.
ELMC's original comment was aimed specifically at AKV. In general, I think his comment applies fairly equally to all DVC resorts. For example, BCV, BWV, VWL, SSR, and OKW are all being sold direct at $130/point. BLT is being sold for $165/point. AKV, with incentives, is under $130/point.

Meanwhile, having been closely tracking resale prices for some time, I know that BLT is the only resort with an asking price significantly above the others (current median asking price is $104/point) while OKW is the only resort with an asking price significantly below the others (current median asking price is $70/point). The other 5 WDW DVC resorts currently being offered for resale having median asking prices in the range of $79/point (SSR) to $86/point (BCV). AKV is at $80/point despite the fact that WDW is actively selling it direct, which tends to drive down resale prices.

So while I don't disagree with ELMC's comment in general, I am trying to understand why AKV was singled out. It seems to me that most DVC resorts have similar direct-vs-resale spreads while AKV contracts run an extra 15 years compared to "classic" DVC resorts.

Just trying to understand if and why ELMC thinks AKV is a unusually bad value compared to the other resorts. Maybe he specifically mentioned AKV because it's the only resort that Disney is actively selling that's also available on the resale market, or because the OP was specifically asking about AKV and VGF.
Nabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #30
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabas View Post
ELMC's original comment was aimed specifically at AKV. In general, I think his comment applies fairly equally to all DVC resorts. For example, BCV, BWV, VWL, SSR, and OKW are all being sold direct at $130/point. BLT is being sold for $165/point. AKV, with incentives, is under $130/point.

Meanwhile, having been closely tracking resale prices for some time, I know that BLT is the only resort with an asking price significantly above the others (current median asking price is $104/point) while OKW is the only resort with an asking price significantly below the others (current median asking price is $70/point). The other 5 WDW DVC resorts currently being offered for resale having median asking prices in the range of $79/point (SSR) to $86/point (BCV). AKV is at $80/point despite the fact that WDW is actively selling it direct, which tends to drive down resale prices.

So while I don't disagree with ELMC's comment in general, I am trying to understand why AKV was singled out. It seems to me that most DVC resorts have similar direct-vs-resale spreads while AKV contracts run an extra 15 years compared to "classic" DVC resorts.

Just trying to understand if and why ELMC thinks AKV is a unusually bad value compared to the other resorts. Maybe he specifically mentioned AKV because it's the only resort that Disney is actively selling that's also available on the resale market, or because the OP was specifically asking about AKV and VGF.
IMO, it does not apply equally across all resorts because of availability and cost differences inherent to some vs others but it does apply in general to many of the resorts. The larger the difference and the large the points package, the more it applies, IMO. I think it does apply to everything except HI, CA & GF ignoring very small packages. I think $80 is high for AKV unless you're talking small contracts only. Current listings above are consistently below that as asking price and that's an increase over a few months ago, a somewhat temporary increase, IMO. I think assigning a value of $70 for a normal package is being generous. That doesn't mean I think they are all equal or all an equal value at the prices (resale or retail) currently available. There are also special issues with each options. VB & HH issues are well chronicled. The 2042 expiration is a consideration for any buyer though more related to price than actually reasonableness otherwise, IMO. AKV has the concierge and value rooms, BWV has the standard view, BCV has the 2 queen, etc.

Again, I can't speak for others but I'd guess it's context since the OP was specifically asking AKV or GF, that was my understanding when I read it and when I reread it today.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: