Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #16
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

I prefer the garden wing to the tower. I've stayed as far away from the tower as possible, and it was still less than five minutes from the room to the 4th floor where all the action is. So you get the quiet of the wing and the easy access to all the action - best of both worlds.

The biggest difference is the lack of balconies on the 2nd and 3rd floor rooms. You can open the sliding door for ventilation, but there's no outside space to sit and relax. You can request a ground floor room, which will have a small patio. I typically stay at CR when I know the weather won't be conducive to a lot of balcony use anyway.

The rooms in the tower and wing are laid out the same and are the same size, so you don't lose anything there.

As far as parking lot views from the standard view wing rooms, they have hedges and trees planted that do a fairly good job of screening the parking lot. But I never minded the parking lot view, because it was also a monorail view, and I liked watching the monorails going by. If you are driving, it's also easier to get your bags in and out of the room because of the close parking.

The wing rooms are very convenient to the pool. I also like the fact that the building is only three floors, so you can easily take the stairs if you don't want to wait for the elevator. The elevators are also not as crowded as in the tower and don't take as long to use as those in the tower. Nothing like taking the steps from the 9th floor in the tower after watching a half dozen completely full elevators stop at your floor!
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #17
princessap
DIS Veteran

This thread has lots of good points!!! Am debating between tower and garden wing so keep the thoughts coming!! thanks to the OP for this awesome thread
Register to remove

Old 07-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #18
cwehrstedt
Mouseketeer

Love to keep this thread alive. We are booked for just 3 nights end of January pre cruise,

I was disappointed the garden wing rooms didnt have a patio (I know you can request first floor, but my requests have never worked in the past) and me and my DH take advantage of them when kids are sleeping.

Also where do you view the MK fireworks from garden view (no CGrill dining).

Future trip.. 2014, Dec 14th, 7n on Magic with split stay POFQ and CSR!
cwehrstedt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #19
anjalee6
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
don't think any of the rooms at CR wing look at the parking - only the MK views in the tower look at parking.

the rooms are along the sides - not the back where the parking is located there.

the standard views are the top of the wing w/o a patio or balcony. pretty sure.
We stayed in the a garden Wong three summers ago and they do have parking lot views. We had one. But it also was a monorail view as my kids called it. We saw the monorail passing in and out of the tower so the kids enjoyed that but without that excitement, it was just a parking lot below.

Rooms are not bad at all, but it did take some of the magic away from us with not being in the tower.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #20
klwdisney
DIS Veteran

I am also considering a Garden Wing room for our Fall 2014 trip if the Poly turns out to be a construction zone!

Does anyone have pictures of the view that you had from your room?

Also, we've stayed our last few trips at Port Orleans Riverside and read many complaints about the distance from some of the buildings to the main building. Would you equate the distance from the garden wing rooms to the monorail/restaurants to the walk from the Riverside outer buildings to the main building??

Thanks so much!

9/86 - Poly (with family), 11/97 - Honeymoon @ Hyatt Orlando, 3/99 - POR, 11/00 - ASMo,
10/05 - POP Century, 9/07 - 10th anniversary POR, 5/08 - POFQ with Just Mom!5/09 - Moonsoon Trip to CBR, 5/12 with Mom at POR, POR/POLY 5/13 Bday with mom & friends, NEXT UP: November 2014 Contemporary Garden Wing for the Food & Wine Festival with Mom!
klwdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #21
si-am
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjalee6 View Post
We stayed in the a garden Wong three summers ago and they do have parking lot views. We had one. But it also was a monorail view as my kids called it. We saw the monorail passing in and out of the tower so the kids enjoyed that but without that excitement, it was just a parking lot below.

Rooms are not bad at all, but it did take some of the magic away from us with not being in the tower.
Same here. I was disappointed with the parking lot view. We were on the first floor so we couldn't even really see the monorail unless we went out on the patio.

That being said, I liked it a lot. It wasn't that far to the main building and being close to the boat dock and the pool was a definite advantage!
Old 09-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #22
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

we stayed garden wing, garden view on our last trip. we requested ground floor (and got it). right outside our back door was Bay Lake. we had an amazing view of the Water Pageant. we could easily walk right to the beach area. the sun rose over the lake. it was a totally different vibe from the tower--very peaceful and quiet.

our youngest was six months old at the time. CR was so convenient to MK and Epcot. if I had the budget, I'd stay there every trip (with an occasional stay at GF).

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
fairestoneofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #23
Momoftwins+1
Mouseketeer

The walk from even the farthest room at CR garden wing is nothing compared to the back forty walk at Riverside to the main building (food court etc ) area. We stayed in the tower and had to do laundry so I explored the garden wing and even hauling heavy laundry bags it wasn't a hard walk at all from ground level CR (by bus door) to anywhere. I've stayed at Riverside and some of those walks can be quite long. The garden wing seemed quiet and you aren't stuck waiting on forever full/half broken elevators like in the Tower (huge plus...they were a pain).

Viewing fireworks. My suggestion for anyone without MK view, go to the end of any hallway or climb the stairs from the 4th observation area and hang out to watch them in the outside stairwell. Beautiful, unblocked, non crowded views. Then just walk down the stairwell and back into the main areas and grab a late night snack etc.

I loved the Bay Lake view in the Tower and had no issues with hearing Chef Mickey (we were exact middle by elevators) but for a reduced cost and the ability to walk to MK, I would completely consider the Garden Wing without hesitation. The only thing that seemed dark was the hallways in the GW...but that could have been because I was at Disney and doing laundry so I was grumpy to begin with.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: