Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
Lfsdromero
Earning My Ears

Contemporary Resort Garden Wing. The good, The bad , & The ugly

So the Contemporary Resort has been my dream resort to stay at, I've always stayed at the moderate resorts. I have decided to stay I. The garden wing at the Contemporary for our Feb 2014 trip. Can someone please tell me if staying in the garden wing will ruin my dream? I seem to be reading a lot of bad things about it
Lfsdromero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

The Good
  • Large, spacious rooms (exactly like those in the Tower)
  • Convenient access to pool, beach and boat dock
  • Quick walk to the Tower (2-3 mins) and MK (10 mins)
  • Significantly less expensive than staying in the Tower

The Bad
  • Not really in the middle of the magic (i.e. Tower)
  • Less impressive room views than those in the Tower
  • Slightly longer walk to MK, bus transport, restaurants

The Ugly
  • Can't really think of anything "ugly" about the CR!

We stayed in the North Wing (pre-BLT) a little over ten years ago and, while we do not regret having stayed there, we would not go back to the CR unless we were staying in a tower room. It really just comes down to personal preference, but we would have preferred to be able to wake up and already be in the heart of the resort (i.e. waking up to the sounds of Chef Mickey's and exiting our room to the view of the monorail below). If you prefer quiet and proximity to the resort grounds, though, you will prefer the garden wing rooms. We feel that the main appeal of the CR is the tower and its views since the CR grounds leave a bit to be desired in comparison to the Poly/GF.

All that being said, I think you should give the CR a try and stay in a garden wing room even if you cannot spring for the tower room. You cannot know what you will think of something until you try it! I would not let negative reviews worry you since everyone's experiences differ. Plus, there is no way that a CR garden wing room would not feel like a huge upgrade from a moderate resort!
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
mariamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
olive
Mouseketeer

I haven't actually stayed in the garden wing yet, but I would not hesitate to do so. We have stayed only in the tower but only because garden view wasn't available (I think standard view would be less magical for us - I don't like the parking lot views). I believe the garden view rooms in the wing face the pool and grounds. Those rooms are close to the pool and the ground level rooms have patios. No balconies on the upper floors, if that is important to you. We love the CR for its location and amenities but do not at all feel that staying in the tower specifically is necessary. We love walking to MK! I think the wing rooms seem like a great deal! We definitely plan on pricing those out for our next trip. Good luck!
olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
dvdcrow
Earning My Ears

Contemporary Garden Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfsdromero View Post
So the Contemporary Resort has been my dream resort to stay at, I've always stayed at the moderate resorts. I have decided to stay I. The garden wing at the Contemporary for our Feb 2014 trip. Can someone please tell me if staying in the garden wing will ruin my dream? I seem to be reading a lot of bad things about it
We have booked 2 Garden Wing, Garden View rooms at the Contemporary for August 2 for 5 nights, for myself, spouse, son, daughter-in-law and 2 granddaughters. We were originally booked at a the Port Orleans French Quarter, but when Disney offered a sale on the Contemporary, I took advantage and upgraded. Will let you know how it is, but I can't imagine that it will be bad in any way. Being in a larger room, so much closer to the Magic Kingdom, plus being on the monorail, has to be much more convenient than staying at any of the moderate resorts, especially with two young children in tow.
dvdcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
karenklo
DIS Veteran

We were in the garden wing and it was fine. We had a great view of the waterway which the kids loved. They watched the ferries head out every morning and the water parade go by the room! We were close to the pools too!
Old 07-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

We've stayed in the Tower twice, BLT three times, and Garden Wing once. Garden Wing was great. It's a different vibe than being in the tower. It was a more relaxed feel, and generally quieter. Ground floor rooms have a patio, and ours looked out on Bay Lake.

Close to the pool, but a bit of a walk to the tower (restaurants and stores). I'd definitely do the Garden Wing again. In fact, I had it booked for our upcoming trip, but when the new passholder rates came out, the discounted GW rooms weren't available for the dates we already had, so I moved us into the Tower at the passholder rate.

You'll love the Contemporary. It's our favorite WDW resort.
WillAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

don't think any of the rooms at CR wing look at the parking - only the MK views in the tower look at parking.

the rooms are along the sides - not the back where the parking is located there.

the standard views are the top of the wing w/o a patio or balcony. pretty sure.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
princessap
DIS Veteran

I am debating the same issue right now for our next trip about booking garden wing or tower....I have been told that garden wing book out faster than tower so I am thinking of booking garden wing and then moving up to tower if discounts are released.

will be reading this thread to see what other people say!
Old 07-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
serene56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
I am debating the same issue right now for our next trip about booking garden wing or tower....I have been told that garden wing book out faster than tower so I am thinking of booking garden wing and then moving up to tower if discounts are released.

will be reading this thread to see what other people say!
we booked the garden wing because it was a huge price increase to move to the tower. we were there a weekend. used the room to sleep/ We were in a room the furthest from the entrance. the pool was handy/ We did not think it was a long walk to the tower. If i could do it again and the price was right-- i will do it in a nano second
Old 07-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
MinnieFan4ever

DIS Cast Member

We have stayed in a garden wing room in the past. I think it is the best kept secret for staying deluxe. It is much cheaper than the tower. We had a really nice view and the room are exactly the same. I would not hesitate to stay there again. In fact, we actually liked it better than the Poly.
MinnieFan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
ophelia2002
Earning My Ears

I'm staying there right now and I have 2 complaints- it is a looooooong walk to a lot of stuff- buses, food, monorail. Second, my room overlooks the lake which is nice until they so the lighted boat parade at 10 pm and BLAST the music. I'm a go-to-bed-by-9 girl.
ophelia2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
we booked the garden wing because it was a huge price increase to move to the tower. we were there a weekend. used the room to sleep/ We were in a room the furthest from the entrance. the pool was handy/ We did not think it was a long walk to the tower. If i could do it again and the price was right-- i will do it in a nano second
Thanks...quick question...where are you heading for your dream vacation???
Old 07-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
princessap
DIS Veteran

I have a question for those that have stayed poly and garden wing at the CR....how far a walk is the garden wing to the tower in terms of poly distances...(make sense??)....just wondering for distance wise how far it is.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #14
MYD714
Please stand clear of the doors...

I haven't stayed there since 1996, but I can tell you that we loved staying in the garden wing during that trip. The only con I can come up with is that we had one day that we had to walk in the rain on the way back to our room. We loved everything else about it.

We found the garden view rooms to be quiet and peaceful, especially since we had a nice patio area off our room that I believe overlooked the lake (if memory serves correctly). While I've never stayed in the tower rooms, I'd worry about possibly hearing noise from Chef Mickey's.

I don't remember how long the walk was to/from the monorail/food/buses, but I know that no one in our group of 8 complained about it.

Overall, we really enjoyed that trip. The access to the monorail was a huge bonus, and we loved being able to walk to MK. We had a good time using the pool and hanging out at the resort too.

MYD714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #15
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Biggest disadvantage -- it's a long walk to the "hustle and bustle of the tower."

Biggest advantage -- it's a long walk to the "hustle and bustle of the tower."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: