DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
MoreTravels
Mouseketeer
 
MoreTravels's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 169

To protect your direct purchase DVC value...

Make sure you buy it in small 50 point increments. You will get to sell it at 20% higher later. So don't buy a 300 point-contract... buy 6 of 50 points! Annoy your guide... maybe even in 25-point portion, so 12 contracts instead of 1, for a total of 300 points for example.
MoreTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
twinsouvenirs
Loving Double Trouble :)
 
twinsouvenirs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,061

we went 50/30/30 on our gfv contract--it means an extra $100 in closing costs but will be worth it if /when we go to sell.
__________________
twinsouvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
BestDadEver
New DVC Member
 
BestDadEver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 671

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTravels View Post
Make sure you buy it in small 50 point increments. You will get to sell it at 20% higher later. So don't buy a 300 point-contract... buy 6 of 50 points! Annoy your guide... maybe even in 25-point portion, so 12 contracts instead of 1, for a total of 300 points for example.
Your guile 6 50 point contracts would annoy me . I think 100 splits would be fine . Selling 6 contract could be quite a hassle plus added commissions .
__________________
Member since 2012


BestDadEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,914

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestDadEver View Post

Your guile 6 50 point contracts would annoy me . I think 100 splits would be fine . Selling 6 contract could be quite a hassle plus added commissions .
Is commission not a percentage of the sale amount?
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Missyrose
DIS Veteran
 
Missyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Va.
Posts: 6,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post

Is commission not a percentage of the sale amount?
Yep, usually about 10 percent of each sale.
__________________
Missy Franklin (Pixel Dust) | Facebook: World of Yesterday, Tomorrow & Fantasy | Current TR: 8/14, 5/14 Past TR: 10/13, 1/13, 5/13, 10/12, 3/12 , 10/11, 10/10
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestDadEver View Post
Your guile 6 50 point contracts would annoy me . I think 100 splits would be fine . Selling 6 contract could be quite a hassle plus added commissions .
Do you mean added closing costs? Commissions are a percentage of the sale. So if you are paying "added commissions" that means you are making more money on the sale, which I think we can all agree is a good thing.

So you know, there is a huge distinction between 50 and 100 point contracts when it comes to resale. The difference in demand for the two is substantial.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us
 
bobbiwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington Township OH and Cape May NJ
Posts: 59,318

I think there is an up front cost for splitting, direct. You pay something for each part.

I have many sized contracts, 25 to 200, but I also think 100 points is a good amount in a contract.

Bobbi
__________________

bobbiwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...
 
JimMIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)
Posts: 11,435

If the DVC timeshare salesperson is selling you points at $130-$165 per point, they will put up with a little extra paperwork and laugh all the way to the bank. Plus, depending on how overboard you go, there could be some significant extra closing costs.

I really don't see any sense in going through all this for 100 points or less. The reality is that 100 points or anything less will generally sell very quickly on the resale market if the points have an attractive home resort. Even 150 point contracts tend to sell quickly.

It's a little amusing to pay $150 per point and then worry about getting $5-$10 more per point getting out. That's especially true if you are buying direct at a resort where you could buy resale for half the price (or less). Paying double going in, but worrying about your eventual exit price point is a classic example of being "penny smart, pound foolish," IMHO.

If you pay a huge premium for buying direct, and also finance, but use the small contract exit strategy as a partial justification, I think someone is really just kidding themselves. That person is really paying $200-$250 per point (or more) including financing costs and worrying about pennies getting out.

To me, there are two legitimate reasons why breaking contracts up into smaller chunks can be advantageous -- quickness to sell, and the ability to tailor your holdings to the size you want as your family's needs change. If you have a sizable DVC holding, multiple smaller contracts allow you do downsize more easily and precisely.

If you only own 100 points, selling 25 of them is not going to have much effect on anything; if you have 80 points and you sell 50, what do you have left? 30 points -- what are you going to do with 30 points?

But if you have 400 and can easily sell 100 of them that's a real plus.

There also may be some small advantage in being able to pass smaller contracts on to children equally, but of course that assumes the kids are going to want the ongoing annual dues obligation. If they don't, you're just "giving" them a financial burden.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #9
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...
 
JimMIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)
Posts: 11,435

I also see one other advantage to small contract purchases -- the situation where the person only starts with what they can afford to pay cash for, and then adds on in small increments as they can afford them. THAT is a very sound strategy because it avoids all those finance charges and spreads the cash outlay out over time.

That person is still paying a big premium for buying direct, but at least they are going about it in a more sensible manner.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran
 
disfanforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,742

We bought 200 AKV points direct in 2008. If I could do again I would have split into two 100 point contracts. But, I am not planning to sell anytime soon. Infact, we just added 100 points resale at BWV a few months ago. Can't wait to use them for the first time in March!
__________________
MeDH DD(20) DD(19) DS(14)
disfanforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #11
DenLo
DIS Veteran
 
DenLo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Missouri City, TX
Posts: 4,858

I think there is only a few dollar difference per point between a 25, 50, 75 or 100 point contracts. If you are thinking you will have a higher profit later by purchasing 50 point contracts then, you are not looking at the additional expenses a seller has. There are fees.

This is from the TimeShare Store's website:
Quote:
$20 Right of First Refusal Fee, less a $50 Estoppel Fee and a commission. Any outstanding liens, mortgages, maintenance fees or late fees that may have been assessed to your property will also be deducted.
You might end up with $50 higher on the 50 point contract versus a 100 point contract. Or less if to get a bargain, the buyer asks the seller to pay the closing costs. This request is often made if the contract is not fully loaded. Sure you don't have to sell the contract, but isn't the idea of a small contract is that it sells quickly? And if you do sell it at a profit, aren't income tax issues (capital gains) involved too?
__________________
--Denise

DenLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #12
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran
 
BWV Dreamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,776

My thoughts exactly ( I was just going to post the same thing). I don't think it is worth buying small contracts. I won't buy anything less than 100 points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenLo View Post
I think there is only a few dollar difference per point between a 25, 50, 75 or 100 point contracts. If you are thinking you will have a higher profit later by purchasing 50 point contracts then, you are not looking at the additional expenses a seller has. There are fees.

This is from the TimeShare Store's website:


You might end up with $50 higher on the 50 point contract versus a 100 point contract. Or less if to get a bargain, the buyer asks the seller to pay the closing costs. This request is often made if the contract is not fully loaded. Sure you don't have to sell the contract, but isn't the idea of a small contract is that it sells quickly? And if you do sell it at a profit, aren't income tax issues (capital gains) involved too?
__________________
Hope



BWV Dreamin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #13
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
If the DVC timeshare salesperson is selling you points at $130-$165 per point, they will put up with a little extra paperwork and laugh all the way to the bank. Plus, depending on how overboard you go, there could be some significant extra closing costs.

I really don't see any sense in going through all this for 100 points or less. The reality is that 100 points or anything less will generally sell very quickly on the resale market if the points have an attractive home resort. Even 150 point contracts tend to sell quickly.

It's a little amusing to pay $150 per point and then worry about getting $5-$10 more per point getting out. That's especially true if you are buying direct at a resort where you could buy resale for half the price (or less). Paying double going in, but worrying about your eventual exit price point is a classic example of being "penny smart, pound foolish," IMHO.

If you pay a huge premium for buying direct, and also finance, but use the small contract exit strategy as a partial justification, I think someone is really just kidding themselves. That person is really paying $200-$250 per point (or more) including financing costs and worrying about pennies getting out.

To me, there are two legitimate reasons why breaking contracts up into smaller chunks can be advantageous -- quickness to sell, and the ability to tailor your holdings to the size you want as your family's needs change. If you have a sizable DVC holding, multiple smaller contracts allow you do downsize more easily and precisely.

If you only own 100 points, selling 25 of them is not going to have much effect on anything; if you have 80 points and you sell 50, what do you have left? 30 points -- what are you going to do with 30 points?

But if you have 400 and can easily sell 100 of them that's a real plus.

There also may be some small advantage in being able to pass smaller contracts on to children equally, but of course that assumes the kids are going to want the ongoing annual dues obligation. If they don't, you're just "giving" them a financial burden.
Some very good points here. I think the value of this conversation is as it pertains to VGF. Otherwise you are correct, the buyer is paying a $50+ per point premium for the novelty of having smaller contract sizes. Personally, I don't think I'll ever be able to micromanage my holdings down to the 25 or 50 point level. I have several contracts, all in the 100-200 point range, and downsizing would consist of selling those off one at a time.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #14
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002
 
KAT4DISNEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nevada
Posts: 9,012

I've posted before that the added costs of selling virtually outweigh any additional couple of dollars in price you might gain from a sale. And especially with the closing costs now charged by Disney on the front end that are increased if you split.

So unless one had real concerns about downsizing in the future I don't think there's anything significant - if at all - to be gained with many very small contracts. 100 Pts is a pretty good number. And these days even the "normal" size contracts of 150, 160 don't stick around too long.
__________________
Kathy

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #15
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,565

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTravels View Post
Make sure you buy it in small 50 point increments. You will get to sell it at 20% higher later. So don't buy a 300 point-contract... buy 6 of 50 points! Annoy your guide... maybe even in 25-point portion, so 12 contracts instead of 1, for a total of 300 points for example.
There are a number of assumptions here that may or may not work out in the future. They include that smaller contracts will net more per point in selling long term. IMO this is a big MAYBE. It also assumes buying retail to start with but NOT buying the fixed week option. Personally I wouldn't go with 6-50 even though on my single retail purchase I did go with 4*25 with the intent of selling soon, not much later. And to take the same approach resale adds significant costs to do so.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.