Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #16
msd1776
NebraskaDisneyFan

I can totally understand the previous posters points regarding Streets of America. for me, I always enjoying walking through that area...especially during quiet times...you can hear the subway, you can make it rain....it is a little respite from the crowds elsewhere in the park. But, I understand they always need to reinvent and I do support Carsland in Florida and a Star Wars land.....
msd1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #17
Rustyroo
Mouseketeer

I can see a case for moving them out to make room for Cars and SW Lands. I can see a case for getting rid of them because it generates little or no money, actually costs them money, and is in an area not heavily populated by shops, restaurants, etc. BUT, I do think a lot of people come in during the holidays to see them. I know it's as much an attraction for us as TSMM. It's also a great place to get PhotoPass photos taken. I HOPE Disney leaves them there, but I suppose that will depend in part on where the SW/Cars Lands will end up (if true). Alternatively, they should consider putting them up at the front of the part, or Disney Springs. But PLEASE don't get rid of them altogether.
Rustyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #18
maggiew
If she hates to be wet, then how does the survive bathing?

Any more word on whether this is the last year for the Osbourne Lights or not?

Maggie
Prince Sakura Hotel TDR * Marriott Residence Inn LBV Dec 2013 * Hotel Cheyenne DLPR May 2013 * Aulani July 2012 * Royal Pacific July 2011 * Pop Century Aug 2010 * Disneyland Oct 2009 * Beach Club July 2009 * AsMo Dec 2007 Mousefest! * Old Key West July 2006 * Pop Century Dec. 2005 Mousefest! * Sheraton Safari July 2005 * Pop Century/Portofino Bay Hotel August 2004 * Coronado Springs Nov 2003 * Dolphin June 2003 * POR Nov/Dec 2002 * AsMu 1999 * AsSp 1997
maggiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:42 AM   #19
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiew View Post
Any more word on whether this is the last year for the Osbourne Lights or not?

Maggie
With the recent rumor that cars land at dhs is dead...there is a much better chance they are staying, I think.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #20
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
With the recent rumor that cars land at dhs is dead...there is a much better chance they are staying, I think.
The last rumored areas under consideration placed the Streets of America on the Star Wars side, so if that is still going forward, Osborne is still on the endangered list.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:51 AM   #21
misundersteph
Earning My Ears

You can make it rain????

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd1776 View Post
I can totally understand the previous posters points regarding Streets of America. for me, I always enjoying walking through that area...especially during quiet times...you can hear the subway, you can make it rain....it is a little respite from the crowds elsewhere in the park. But, I understand they always need to reinvent and I do support Carsland in Florida and a Star Wars land.....
Newbie here, and I've been reading for about a month and this is the first time I've been brave enough to post, but...

How do you make it rain???? I must know.
misundersteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #22
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by misundersteph View Post
Newbie here, and I've been reading for about a month and this is the first time I've been brave enough to post, but...

How do you make it rain???? I must know.
Check out the "Singing in the Rain" umbrella...at least when it is working...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 09-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #23
DemoBri1
Surfin' at the Beach Club Villas

I would take this rumor with a grain of salt right now. First of all, Disney is notorious for leaking out projects such as Cars Land and Star Wars Land and then famously changing around the plans so many times that your head will spin. Where is Avatar Land at this point and time?

Until the bulldozers start coming through don't fret. Now, if the bulldozers do start coming through and SOA is destined to become a piece of Disney history then I'd figure that the Osborne Lights will be moved somewhere on property and hopefully remain somewhere within the DHS gates. This is where they've resided for their entire existence and I think it would be a shame to move them to another park or to the "Springs". I would have thought that if Disney wanted to get rid of the lights they would have done so when a portion of the old backlot was leveled to make room for the ultimate disappointment that became LMA. To spend all that money to relocate them, add to them, and invest in the LED and synchro music technology doesn't make sense that they would get rid of them.

I tend to disagree with one of the PPs who said that the lights don't generate any revenue for Disney. They most assuredly do. I fully believe more people visit DHS over the holidays for the specific reason to see the lights. They really are a must see. The last time I checked you still needed to pay in order to get in to see them, and thus they are generating revenue for Disney.

DemoBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #24
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoBri1 View Post
I would take this rumor with a grain of salt right now. First of all, Disney is notorious for leaking out projects such as Cars Land and Star Wars Land and then famously changing around the plans so many times that your head will spin. Where is Avatar Land at this point and time?
I doubt seriously that Disney is intentionally leaking out these projects and then changing them around - what purpose would that serve other than to aggravate the audience they seek? These leaks often come from "insiders" who hear the whispers of blue sky ideas and think they are done deals.

Avatarland is different. It's been officially announced, it is still in development, and they are building a new FOTLK theater in Asia to make room for it.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #25
hedberg1661
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoBri1 View Post

Until the bulldozers start coming through don't fret. Now, if the bulldozers do start coming through and SOA is destined to become a piece of Disney history then I'd figure that the Osborne Lights will be moved somewhere on property and hopefully remain somewhere within the DHS gates. This is where they've resided for their entire existence and I think it would be a shame to move them to another park or to the "Springs". I would have thought that if Disney wanted to get rid of the lights they would have done so when a portion of the old backlot was leveled to make room for the ultimate disappointment that became LMA. To spend all that money to relocate them, add to them, and invest in the LED and synchro music technology doesn't make sense that they would get rid of them.

I tend to disagree with one of the PPs who said that the lights don't generate any revenue for Disney. They most assuredly do. I fully believe more people visit DHS over the holidays for the specific reason to see the lights. They really are a must see. The last time I checked you still needed to pay in order to get in to see them, and thus they are generating revenue for Disney.
Totally agree. If Disney gets rid of the Osborne lights they will lose a significant amount of Holiday reservations. That would be unacceptable as far as their financials are concerned. I believe they will move them to another part of the park and all will be happy.
1990's-2006 - Multiple trips ...mostly to BC, 2010 - BC, July 2012 - AKL, BLT, December 2012 - BC, April 2013 - DL, DCA Offsite, July 2013 - BLT, December 2013 - BC, July 2014 - BLT, October 2014 - S&D, 2014-15? - DCL, BC?

And as always: Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

hedberg1661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #26
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedberg1661 View Post
Totally agree. If Disney gets rid of the Osborne lights they will lose a significant amount of Holiday reservations. That would be unacceptable as far as their financials are concerned. I believe they will move them to another part of the park and all will be happy.
While I agree with you. I think Disney could relocate the lights somewhere else. Whether it be a different park, DTD, or a resort. You can also still charge admission for this as well. I know many places around where I live that charge admission to light displays.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #27
Akulp
Earning My Ears

This is the main reason that we go during the holiday season. I would be very upset if they stop this. That is the one place you can go and almost just relax. No lines and all that.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #28
bigsteve83
Earning My Ears

I just left DHS and they are putting the lights up now, they're not going anywhere
bigsteve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #29
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsteve83 View Post
I just left DHS and they are putting the lights up now, they're not going anywhere
The rumor is that they may go away _next_ year.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #30
bigsteve83
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill

The rumor is that they may go away _next_ year.
Definitely needed to read that thread a little more thoroughly.
bigsteve83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: