Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
LB1122
Life's full of tough choices...Disney is not one of them

Character Meal Handlers????

I recently read (I so wish I had saved the link, but I think it was at All Ears) a review of a bloggers experience at a Character Meal in late June of this year. I had heard nothing but good reviews of this CM and we have it booked, but I am wondering what if anything people know about what this review said in it.

I guess there were four characters and only 1 Cast Member handler for all 4. The characters had a hard time signing books without the help of this handler and it sounds like skipped tables or rushed and photos were missed.

The reviewer went to the manager and was told they would bring the characters back but Disney's new policy was to lessen the number of Character handlers at meals..sounds like it will be everywhere???

I am wondering if this is true and if so...won't this become a problem at many of the Character meals.

Has anyone heard of this or had problems like this recently. We find the character meals to be a perfect way to greet characters I would hate to feel rushed. Our last visit was amazing at Character Meals so I hope this is not a new universal policy that will impact these fantastic experiences...
LB1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
GinnerD
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB1122 View Post
I recently read (I so wish I had saved the link, but I think it was at All Ears) a review of a bloggers experience at a Character Meal in late June of this year. I had heard nothing but good reviews of this CM and we have it booked, but I am wondering what if anything people know about what this review said in it.

I guess there were four characters and only 1 Cast Member handler for all 4. The characters had a hard time signing books without the help of this handler and it sounds like skipped tables or rushed and photos were missed.

The reviewer went to the manager and was told they would bring the characters back but Disney's new policy was to lessen the number of Character handlers at meals..sounds like it will be everywhere???

I am wondering if this is true and if so...won't this become a problem at many of the Character meals.

Has anyone heard of this or had problems like this recently. We find the character meals to be a perfect way to greet characters I would hate to feel rushed. Our last visit was amazing at Character Meals so I hope this is not a new universal policy that will impact these fantastic experiences...
I read this also. I believe it was breakfast at 'Ohana.

GinnerD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
MommaNinja
Earning My Ears

We didn't see any handlers during breakfast at O'Hana or Chef Mickey. I opened the books and helped the characters with the books and pens when they came to our table.
MommaNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:31 AM   #4
mum2four
DIS Veteran

We did not see any handlers at CM or Akershus in May, but there were handlers at CP that same week. We didn't notice any problems due to the lack of handlers, but I can see where it could be an issue.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
LB1122
Life's full of tough choices...Disney is not one of them

Well hopefully this will not change the character meal experience all that much. I guess be prepared to help out those characters with glove hands (face characters do not need handlers for this reason)...

Thanks for the feedback
LB1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
orangefan15
Mouseketeer

I noticed at CP a few weeks ago they had 1 handler per 2 characters vs. the 1 per 1 a few months ago. Not sure if that is a permanent change or just something that happened that day.

I sure hope they don't significantly decrease the number of handlers as a matter of course, it makes it much more difficult for solo diners or those wanting whole family shots to get pictures. If I'm shelling out $40+ per person for a character meal, it would be nice to have something to remember it by.
orangefan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

The characters meals don't have a handler per character. Sometimes it's 1 handler per 2-3 characters and the Princess meals don't have any handlers with them

We help the characters as much as possible, both at the meals and in the parks. Make sure the cap is off the pen and the book is open. As for photos, we usually team up with a table near us. We offer to take their group shots and they'll take ours

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: