Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
ladybub101
Mouseketeer

First Timer looking for comments on our chosen restaurants

We'll be staying at POR with regular dining plan - 2 families of 5, kids range from age 4-9.

Animal Kingdom - Lunch=Flametree BBQ, Dinner = Chef Mickeys

Hollywood Studios - Hollywood & Vine late breakfast
Dinner=sit down Mama Melrose including Fantasmic package

Epcot - Late Akershus princess breakfast
Dinner - Garden Grill

Magic Kingdom Day 1 - Lunch at Cosmic Rays, Dinner at Crystal Palace

Magic Kingdom Day 2 - BOG Lunch, Pinocchio Haus Dinner

Downtown Disney Day - Lunch at Wolfgang Express, Dinner at TREX

Resort day - Ohana Breakfast, Lunch at the quick service at our resort, Quick service Dinner at our resort (POR)

And then QS breakfast at our resort on our last day.

How am I doing?

Last edited by ladybub101; 07-17-2013 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Had too many table service credits used!
ladybub101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
emilie2013
Mouseketeer

You're choices look good I've been to most of them, Chef Mickey's would have to be least favorite the food is not that great but for young kids its nice because of the characters. I love wolf gang pucks that's a great choice also T-Rex is really a fun experience. I hope you have a great time
emilie2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
Princess_taffy05
Mouseketeer

I would ditch Pinocchio haus. It gets awful reviews and in my opinion it smells like a dirty diaper. Peco's Bill or CHH are the two best quick service in MK in my opinion.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
disdoit
Run Disney. Dis Do It.

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I think it looks pretty good! I kind of agree that if there's one thing I'd change, it's probably the Chef Mickey dinner reservation, especially since you have other character meals. I would suggest considering Ohana for dinner instead. Great for families, fun at dinnertime and then afterwards you can go to the beach, relax and let the kids play on the beach while you all watch Wishes together... Nights like this are among the fondest Disney memories our kids have (and we the parents have!) over our several trips in the past few years.

Also for that age range, you might consider Sci-Fi at Hollywood Studios instead of Mama Melrose. Possibly a step-down in food quality and you might not be able to all sit together as easily, but I suspect everyone -- especially the kiddos -- will remember the Sci-Fi atmosphere way more than Mama Melrose. (I know this messes with your Fantasmic dinner package plans, but we aren't big fans of the package and like to separate the two).

Hope this helps -- good luck and have a great trip!!
disdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:42 AM   #5
ladybub101
Mouseketeer

Your comments are so helpful!
Old 07-18-2013, 06:27 AM   #6
sephorachick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybub101 View Post
We'll be staying at POR with regular dining plan - 2 families of 5, kids range from age 4-9.

Dinner - Garden Grill

Resort day - Ohana Breakfast, Lunch at the quick service at our resort, Quick service Dinner at our resort (POR)

How am I doing?
I hear great things on Flametree & it is on my to do list next trip. I love Chef Mickey's but prefer the bfast to the dinner. My CM review for dinner:

http://yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blo...ys-review.html

I would advise against Pinochio's. Columbia Harbor house has great healthy & good tasting options. We went here twice last trip. my review:

http://yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blo...se-review.html

I've heard great things on WGP express that is on my to do list as well. T-Rex was a surpisingly good meal! My review & pics:

http://yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blo...ey-review.html

I've never been to O'hana bfast but always hear good things of it. You sound like you're on a good track! I would suggest Biergarten for Epcot meal if you can. fun time & great food!

http://yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blo...ot-review.html

Me: Husband: Pacey Minnie Vicky Ginger

Check out my Disney blog!
www.yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Today's entry is on Boma's Banana Bread recipe & review!

Facebook page for my Disney blog! Please "LIKE"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yohoyo...99050306822131
sephorachick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

I think your choices look great!
I actually love CM's for dinner. I agree with maybe switching Pinocchio Village Haus with Columbia Harbour House or Pecos though.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #8
Eureka
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Dinner - Garden Grill

How am I doing?
I have only been to a few of your choices. I would say go in with realistic expectations and you won't be disappointed. We have eaten at Crystal Place and liked it in every way. Chef Mickey's, on the other hand, was a lot of fun but the food wasn't good. But the chance to see all of the characters without standing in lines in the parks was well worth it. My kids are past the age of wanting to do characters meals so we don't have any scheduled for our August trip. That's fine really, but a tiny bit of me is sad that they are done with it.
Eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
anjalee6
DIS Veteran

Chef mickey's is not the best for dinner, but my kids really enjoy the experience so we keep going back. It's not the worst thing I have eaten at Disney. But I agree, maybe pick so,etching different than Pinocchio Haus. Columbia Harbour House is one of our favorite QS.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #10
Maggie Lizer
Mouseketeer

I had a quick bite at Pinocchio's last fall and it was fine. It was some kind of tomato soup, and my DH had a flatbread pizza. I felt it was pretty much like any other non-Epcot CS: decent but nothing to write home about.

I have never eaten at Columbia Harbor House because you are assailed with a smell of fish fry when you walk in the door (at least we were the two times we went in) and that was enough to turn my husband off. If I am going to get fried fish, I'll get it at the UK at Epcot or Cookes in DTD, and I do not like fried shrimp and am picky about tuna sammies.

DS1 & DS2 (and DH, of course) 4/29 - 5/8/14.

Possibly again in January 2015????
Maggie Lizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #11
arcticdisneylovers
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Animal Kingdom - Lunch=Flametree BBQ - we enjoy the ribs and pulled pork sandwich, not a must-do for us though because of the birds that harass you while you try to eat , Dinner = Chef Mickeys - a must-do for us only for the characters, the food is terrible for supper, we usually do breakfast

Hollywood Studios - Hollywood & Vine late breakfast - we've always enjoyed it, the character interaction has been the best we've ever experience and the food is fine, no worse than any other buffet on site in our opinion.
Dinner=sit down Mama Melrose including Fantasmic package - never tried it
Epcot - Late Akershus princess breakfast - we eat here every Epcot day, a must-do for us. Food is fine and the princesses are great
Dinner - Garden Grill - a must-do for us, we enjoy the family style meal instead for buffet and we love chip n-dale

Magic Kingdom Day 1 - Lunch at Cosmic Rays - hate it, we will never go again, the food was nasty when we tried it , Dinner at Crystal Palace - another breakfast must-do for us, we love the character but don't enjoy the supper buffet
Magic Kingdom Day 2 - BOG Lunch - haven't had a chance to try yet, hoping the crown has died down a bit on our next trip, Pinocchio Haus Dinner - never tried it, we don't eat a lot of CS

Downtown Disney Day - Lunch at Wolfgang Express - never tried it , Dinner at TREX - food was fine but it was soooo loud, we prefer Rainforest Café in AK. we won't rush to go back though DD got a stuffed dino at the gift shop with lots of outfits so she is fan of the location for shopping

Resort day - Ohana Breakfast - we've done a couple of times and enjoyed the food and characters, Lunch at the quick service at our resort, Quick service Dinner at our resort (POR)

How am I doing?
Sounds like a terrific line up
arcticdisneylovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #12
Missy29
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_taffy05 View Post
I would ditch Pinocchio haus. It gets awful reviews and in my opinion it smells like a dirty diaper. Peco's Bill or CHH are the two best quick service in MK in my opinion.
We actually really liked Pinocchio Village Haus, we have eating there a couple times and never smelled dirty diapers. We also really liked T-Rex, both my boys enjoyed it and we thought the food was good.

Missy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #13
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Another thumbs up for Peco's but for us no visit to WDW is complete without at least one trip to the Earl! ( Earl of Sandwich Downtown Disney ) try the holiday sandwich now available all year round. Omg it's heaven. That and LeFou brew in Fantasy Land.

You could get the boat from POR :-)
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
nancyjvanwyk
Mouseketeer

We love flametree bbq for lunch. food is great and the seating by the water is so relaxing. we also very much enjoyed all of the quick service choices at POR. sounds like you have made some great choices and you should post your reviews when you get back.
nancyjvanwyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #15
stef12280
Earning My Ears

Just a suggestion. When visiting Disney World with my own family we try to have a really good breakfast, and skip the lunch and replace with a fun snacks instead. then go for quick service dinner and dessert.
1. Its saves on time and money
2. your really not that hungry in the florida heat.

Just a suggession!
stef12280 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: