Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
Mom22girls56
Mouseketeer

Upgrade Question for Free Dining

So with the leaked info on Fall free dining dates today, my head is spinning! We have 2 little mermaid rooms booked for Nov. 16-22. One room is for my family of 5 (1 is an infant) and the other room is for my parents and sister. We are willing to switch resorts in a heartbeat to get the biggest bang for our buck with FD. So if we upgrade to POR FQ or CB, then we will have to pay OOP for the upgrade, correct? Our trip now is already paid for and was $2195. For instance, with a CB or POR FQ room its $2695, so we would have to pay $500 now if we chose to upgrade to this to take advantage of free dining, correct? Are there any extra fees that I'm not aware of? And is this the best thing to do? Help me please!

Madison (8) Avery (6) Emma (1)

October 2003 Port Orleans
Riverside

January 2010 Pop Century
Mom22girls56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

If I remember properly, I think Art of Animation/Mermaid may in fact be excluded (or at least not have remaining rooms for free dining). I think changing might be your only solution if you want to take advantage.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom22girls56 View Post
So with the leaked info on Fall free dining dates today, my head is spinning! We have 2 little mermaid rooms booked for Nov. 16-22. One room is for my family of 5 (1 is an infant) and the other room is for my parents and sister. We are willing to switch resorts in a heartbeat to get the biggest bang for our buck with FD. So if we upgrade to POR FQ or CB, then we will have to pay OOP for the upgrade, correct? Our trip now is already paid for and was $2195. For instance, with a CB or POR FQ room its $2695, so we would have to pay $500 now if we chose to upgrade to this to take advantage of free dining, correct? Are there any extra fees that I'm not aware of? And is this the best thing to do? Help me please!
As long as the overall price is going up and not down, there's no change fee assessed (technically, they CAN assess a change fee, if you're within 45 days of arrival, but if you're upgrading they will virtually always waive it). You wouldn't have to pay immediately. The additional amount would simply be due by 45 days prior to travel.
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!

AJRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
DisneyDude71
Mouseketeer

If your room qualifies for free quick service dining you can always pay to upgrade to the regular dining plan. Thats what I did on mylast trip.
DisneyDude71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

Yeah you don't have to upgrade your room to upgrade your dining.

With free dining you are paying rack rate for the room, there's no discount on the room. They offer what they call free dining but if you do the math sometimes you can save more getting a room only discount and paying OOP for food or going when free dining isn't active with a room only discount and paying for the plan. You aren't getting any "more bang for your buck" by upgrading hotels because there's no added discount. Any money you'd save on what you're perceiving as the cost of the plan will be going towards the difference in the room. You can easily do the math in what upgrading the room would cost versus what upgrading only the dining would cost.

I stayed at Pop last September and upgraded to deluxe dining. Do your math, figure out what you really want.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post
Yeah you don't have to upgrade your room to upgrade your dining.
Yes, but Little Mermaid rooms are never included in the free dining.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

So then if she's not getting FD with that room, she's still not getting any better "bang for her buck" by upgrading.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
Mom22girls56
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post
So then if she's not getting FD with that room, she's still not getting any better "bang for her buck" by upgrading.
Actually, yes I am. It won't cost as much to upgrade rooms as we had already planned to pay OOP for food and we'll definitely get more food with the FD than we would get paying OOP.

Madison (8) Avery (6) Emma (1)

October 2003 Port Orleans
Riverside

January 2010 Pop Century
Mom22girls56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: