Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #31
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Would some of that $1800 cover the office visits? Or, is it a flat $1800/year but you don't pay for any other medical expenses? Now that I would do. So basically it would equate to $150/month and you would have no other medical expenses. But I'm guessing the $1800/year is in addition to tests, labs, etc. That would mean that dr would get $1,080,000 from all 600 patients.....that's insane!!!
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise in 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise in 2014. BC stay and Eastern Caribbean Cruise in 2015!!

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #32
shortbun
Peacenik

Nothing here in central Ohio. People wouldn't go for it. I did hear a story on the TODAY show many years ago about some doctors in NYC doing it. That was at least 10 years ago though. Those doctors were asking 100K, one time then most routine services were free. For that fee, the docs agreed to be available on a daily basis because they limited their clientelle.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #33
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

when it was "offered" to me in NY it was the cost annually for the "priviledge" of being his VIP patient ( if I recall it was about $1,800. also quoted to me) than it would be financial business as usual, still take my insurance still take the co-pays, still had to pay anything I would normally have to pay for anything else...honestly I can't see how they can get away with this

I had GREAT insurance that paid him well, through Suffolk County Police Dept in NY, but he was located in an affluent area Southampton Long Island

A Story of Hope & The Power of Dis<---small update MON 09/08
Luvchefmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #34
POPCITY
Mouseketeer

DS's pediatrician went to a concierge practice about 5 years ago. We pay $700/yr, but no other charges from the doctor's office. We are on a high deductible health plan, $5000 deductible, so we used to pay everything except annual checkups. We don't go to the doctor very often, so it's still more expensive than just paying per visit would be, but I love it. Doctor appointments are guaranteed the same day, the nurse practitioner does house calls, and the visits seem more thorough. And it's just a very different 'feel" to it. I never feel rushed, it's very laid back, like they are on my schedule, I'm not on theirs. I wish my PCP was concierge. Not sure if I'd pay $1800 for it, though!
POPCITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #35
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

I'd be more upset with my doctor for making what seems to be a greedy move than with politicians.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #36
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane View Post
I'd be more upset with my doctor for making what seems to be a greedy move than with politicians.
I don't think its a greedy move, I think its just a different way to practice. You get more time with patients who have the funds and are willing to pay for it.

My former doctor went to this type of practice before Obamacare. I had the choice to go with him or stay with the new doctor that took over his practice. I chose to go with the new doctor and have never regretted it.

Isn't that what the TV show on USA called Royal Pains is about? I have never seen the show, but I have seen the commercials for it.

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #37
sbtrfly74
DIS Veteran

Sorry but I think anyone who would pay for concierge service is a complete nut case. On call... google, or er. Are you kidding me? next day appointments. Really? someone must have money to burn? are you that new not to know what to do with a child that it could wait until the doc appt? If its not then go to the ER. But I guess thats not fast enough either.

I will say Im sorry for the families that have to pay so much out of pocket of a deductible. I guess Im fortunate to have no deductible and only 20% out of pocket.

Luckily my pediatrician has been practicing for almost 40 years. With my ex-dh, all 3 of my children and even if he pulled this bs I would find somewhere else.
sbtrfly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #38
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

I'm in HC.
I may have a more objective view than others.
No blame on ObamaCare here.
Your Dr. is doing this on his own accord.
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip 2013 DEC Pop/CBR next trip not soon enough
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #39
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Not a huge fan of the health care bill (don't totally hate it though) but why in the heck are you blaming the President?

This isn't any thing new? Heck, in the well to do suburbs around Philly this has been going on for at least 19 years. That's when my youngest was born and his pediatrician started a practice with 2 other doctors that they called premium.

They were getting up and age and said they wanted a smaller practice with a select group of patients.

Non issue. It's been done
Old 07-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #40
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

I think when the OP opened this thread she/he didn't realize its nothing new to many of us and jumped to the conclusion (assumed you know how that goes) it had something to do with our current President Hopefully they realize now it has nothing to do with him or the previous administration

A Story of Hope & The Power of Dis<---small update MON 09/08
Luvchefmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #41
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtrfly74 View Post
Sorry but I think anyone who would pay for concierge service is a complete nut case. On call... google, or er. Are you kidding me? next day appointments. Really? someone must have money to burn? are you that new not to know what to do with a child that it could wait until the doc appt? If its not then go to the ER. But I guess thats not fast enough either.
And there are folks who say anyone who would pay to go to Disney year after year is a complete nut case. I can see value in what they're offering... quick access to the doctor, some home visits, more personalized service, and longer time with the doc. To me, it's not an $1800/year value, but I can see an increased cost with it. I'm not going to judge someone who decides to spend their money on this.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #42
leebee
DIS Veteran

My PCP has closed her private practice, citing the high cost of malpractice insurance and the incredible amount of paperwork associated with both Medicare AND private insurance companies as the basic reason. We were considering changing doctors anyhow, because it'd take days to be seen when we were ill, so we aren't too shaken by this. However, she is considering a concierge practice with an annual fee that will guarantee same-day appointments as she will be limiting the number of patients she sees and she won't take insurance AT ALL. It will be strictly fee-based service, and it seems very reasonable. When I think of what we pay for health insurance, plus co-pays and deductibles, it's not such a bad thought. (based on last year's tax return, we paid about $12K for deductible medical expenses... hard to believe on our income, it's about 1/6 of our gross income). It's a gamble, that you'll "use" that much health care in one year, but people accept this all the time with health savings accounts.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #43
briandunne
Earning My Ears

The Afforable Care Act?

What does this have to do with Disney Resorts?
Old 07-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #44
navywifetill2002
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandunne View Post
What does this have to do with Disney Resorts?
It's in the Community Boards. We talk about anything and everything here!
navywifetill2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #45
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne M
Concierge practices have been a 'thing' since long before Obama even ran for president, it's not a reaction to Obamacare. I remember hearing about it...oh, geez, maybe 10 years ago. And I don't think it was new then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGK View Post
You fool! Facts have no place in this debate!
It's been known to interfere with rationalizing
manning is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: