Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
poohnpigletCA
DIS Veteran

Differnt answer everytime I cal~~Help!

Planning a trip for early 2014 for our family of 4.

We did the dinning plan in 2009 and thought it was great. However, I am having a hard time with this trip.

We have a 9 yo and a 12 yo. Since our last trip we have found out that our 9 yo is hypoglycemic. I plan on all of us eating together. However, after several recent trips to Disneyland we know that walking and heat will effect our youngest. On most days she ate at typical meal times but on some days she needed a meal at 4:00 or another odd time.

So, lets assume we have a 5:00 adr at Rose & crown at at 4:00 she has to eat. So we would use one of her quick service credits and then she would not be hungry at 5:00. She would still be on the dinning plan with us but not eat her meals at the same time.

For non-buffet, non-character meals:

One CM told me we all 4 must order at a sit down restaurant.

Another CM told me she did not have to order but must not eat anything off of any of our plates.

Another CM told me no it did not matter who ordered or ate what.

So, at this point I am thinking out of pocket might be less confusing then the dinning plan.
poohnpigletCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohnpigletCA View Post
Planning a trip for early 2014 for our family of 4.

We did the dinning plan in 2009 and thought it was great. However, I am having a hard time with this trip.

We have a 9 yo and a 12 yo. Since our last trip we have found out that our 9 yo is hypoglycemic. I plan on all of us eating together. However, after several recent trips to Disneyland we know that walking and heat will effect our youngest. On most days she ate at typical meal times but on some days she needed a meal at 4:00 or another odd time.

So, lets assume we have a 5:00 adr at Rose & crown at at 4:00 she has to eat. So we would use one of her quick service credits and then she would not be hungry at 5:00. She would still be on the dinning plan with us but not eat her meals at the same time.

One CM told me we all 4 must order at a sit down restaurant.

Another CM told me she did not have to order but must not eat anything off of any of our plates.

So, at this point I am thinking out of pocket might be less confusing then the dinning plan.
I woukld think OOP is the way to go. Being on the Dining Plan is not necessarily going to save you (or anyone money), and you might end up with credits (looks like they might be Table Service ones too) you may not use (waste of money).
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
Infamousmare
I didn't make it all the way through 3rd grade for nothing.

Oh, dear! That sounds like quite a conundrum. Here are my thoughts (and I'm not too bright, so take this for what it's worth):

1. If you really want the dining plan (esp. if doing character or signature meals!), could you use snack credits to get her something at the time she needs to eat that might tide her over until the big TS meal?

2. We have relatives that come in from the Orlando area and join us for dinner. Sometimes they eat, sometimes they're just along for the visit. We've also had situations where one kiddo feels ill and just plain doesn't want dinner. We have NEVER been told that everyone has to order (and we do the meal plan). We have just been warned that the non-eating party(ies) must not eat off our plates.

3. Is there any way possible to sneak in a protein bar for her? I know, this might be breaking some MAJOR rule, but if she has some sort of identification as being hypoglycemic and requiring this kind of thing, perhaps they'd let a protein bar or two slide through your backpack during bag check. This way she can get some sustenance when she needs it but it won't be so much that she'd completely not want the next big meal.

Several day trips in the 70s as a kid when we lived in FL--->1992 Off Site--->2010 WL--->2011 SSR--->2012 BLT--->2013 BLT--->2014 we're headed off site! SVV, here we come!
Infamousmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Technically, this CM was correct. Since you are all on a dining plan, you may share between each other as you see fit. There are a couple exceptions, but the bulk of locations should be fine.

However, in your case, since the credit-based system may not work out as well, OOP will likely be a better option.

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

They do allow you to take snacks into the parks, so perhaps she could survive on a snack you take in, or use a snack credit.

Another thing you can do is turning up for your meal early, although the rest of you may not be hungry.

you do not all have to order at the restaurant, so you don't have to order her a meal.
However there are a few restaurants that do not allow sharing-Via Napoli & B&C are the ones I can think of at the moment.

I hope you have a fab time.xx
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge @ Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
August 2014- Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort
darthtatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
purple figment
DIS Veteran

Quote:

This is correct at TS restaurants where you order a la carte off a menu. Since you're all on the dining plan you don't have to order a meal for her. If she's a little hungry the rest of you could share with her. The only exception to this is Via Napoli where they are very strict about not allowing the use of one credit to feed two people.

At buffets, all you care to eat family style meals, CRT, Akershus, the dinner shows, Fantasmic and Candlelight Processional dining packages, and the skillet at Whispering Canyon Cafe everyone is charged whether they eat or not. If you're planning meals at any of these places perhaps you could give her a snack rather than a full meal if it's close to your ADR time.

At DW you can bring food into the parks with the exception of items in glass jars and alcohol. Many people bring a small soft sided cooler with them so maybe you can pack some snacks for her.

Checking in early at restaurants doesn't always work so I wouldn't rely on this. Some places may seat you early, but others will ask you to return at your res time or you'll have to wait anyway.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
poohnpigletCA
DIS Veteran

So I had the brilliant idea last night that we would just use all of our snack credits on our youngest. This is actually the way she eats. small portions every 2 hours. She grazes, no big meals. Then we could just divide up the meal credits.

Then I realized that she is the only child in our group and this would not work. Maybe when she is older and on the adult meal plan.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
Amanda999
Mouseketeer

child could use entire family's snack credits

Quote:
So I had the brilliant idea last night that we would just use all of our snack credits on our youngest. This is actually the way she eats. small portions every 2 hours. She grazes, no big meals. Then we could just divide up the meal credits.

Then I realized that she is the only child in our group and this would not work. Maybe when she is older and on the adult meal plan.
Hi! Your child can use all your snack credits (each adult and each child on the DP gets 1 snack credit per day). Snacks aren't like DP meals - snacks are the same for adults and child - i.e., pooled for the entire family (and, snacks are not in different sizes for adults vs. kids - i.e., popcorn, cupcake, ice cream - whatever the snack is, it just comes in one size, and as long as you see that little purple symbol you can buy it as a snack credit for your child). I would, however, research snack options via allears.net's menu - just to be sure you know where you can get her food (snack) she likes.
Amanda999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
Melanie B
DIS Veteran

I'm hypoglycemic as well and when we travel with others they just don't understand. I need to eat but I may not be hungry. We went to visit the inlaws a couple years ago and mom couldn't understand why I couldn't go 6 or 7 hours without eating a little something. Junky food doesn't really fill the void. It actually makes things worse.

Anyway the correct answer is you can share whichever meal you want and when you want. The exception is Via Napoli and buffets like a previous poster said. Lots of people share meals because the portions tend to be quite large.

Feb 2015 Port Orleans French Quarter
Nov 2013 All Star Music
July 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
Aug 2010 Caribbean Beach
Melanie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
freckles04
DIS Veteran

If you'd rather stick with DDP, I'd just bring along some snacks you know will keep her glucose steady. Many of the snack options at the parks are likely to make her glucose spike and then crash.

freckles04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #11
poohnpigletCA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie B View Post
I'm hypoglycemic as well and when we travel with others they just don't understand. I need to eat but I may not be hungry. We went to visit the inlaws a couple years ago and mom couldn't understand why I couldn't go 6 or 7 hours without eating a little something. Junky food doesn't really fill the void. It actually makes things worse.

Anyway the correct answer is you can share whichever meal you want and when you want. The exception is Via Napoli and buffets like a previous poster said. Lots of people share meals because the portions tend to be quite large.
This is so true. Because she is 9 she is still trying to figure out when she needs protein. If we are not paying close enough attention and she goes too long without protein then she will not eat. We have to practically hold her down and give her a nut.

We are flying in and are planning to be there over 10 days. If I can not bring enough protein bars with me is there someplace on site to buy her some?

Oh and Melanie B we are planning on staying at POR, did you like it?
Old 07-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

They will not make you order her a meal at non all-you can eat places, but her credits may be lost and it may also waste at lot of your CS credits if she just needs to eat a small amount. I would carry food, and buy snacks as you need them. Protein bars really take up very little room in your luggage. Just tuck them all around to fill in extra space around your clothes. Maybe she would like some of those little PB tubs and something to dip in them. There are a lot of snacks sold in gift shops that people tend to forget about. The have things like trail mix, cereal bars, things like that. I know our resort has these too. There are maybe some things at CS that would be snack credits that might work too. Cheese filled pretzels or maybe some of the smoothies. Good luck and hope you find the answers you need.
MSSANDRA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #13
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

You will have a few more choices of food and snack if you try to shop at a DVC but I have not seen protein bars before (although they have bread, jelly, and peanut butter). You could however order things from an online ordering site such as garden grocer (I think we go shop is the other recommended by the boards). We drive so we bring what we need but both of these places will shop for you and deliver the food to the resort. You could order snacks for her for both during the day as well as to have in the room at night. If you wanted to you could order breakfast foods for the whole family as well as water/drinks if you were ordering items anyway.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #14
frannn
please stop the madnesssss already & tag me
From the TF...someone pls call 911 for Frann, she held her breath until I tagged her and she apparently turned blue and fell down. :)

I feel your pain; DD10 has similar issue

DD10 takes meds that suppress her appetite. I send her to school with a protein bar every day, and that seems to keep emotional and physical issues at bay. We plan to bring her favorite flavors with us for the week and a half we will be there. We will either share meals with her or order something that can be thrown in a plastic bag for snacking in an hour or two. She is an adult on the DP plan this year, but says she only wants kid's meals. We will use this to our advantage by using her adult TS credits for additional meals and just pay OOP for the kid's meals. This way, there will be no meal skipping and snack credits will be able to be used if necessary (instead of trying to use them all for breakfast). I hope the resort fridge will be adequate to hold her leftovers for later, when she gets her appetite back (and then....she can EAT like she has a wooden leg, LOL!).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: