Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
snowsparrow
Earning My Ears

Disney World with toddlers and a tween.

or "How to Please Everybody Everywhere at All Times."

We're taking our first WDW vacation in a looonnnng time... as in, my husband has never been, my kids have never been, and the last time I went was 30 years ago and all I remember is vomiting (sorry, is vomit allowed? "engaging in an involuntary protein spill!") on the teacups and being scared to death of a man in a rabbit costume.

My tween queen is 10, pretty mellow and easy.
The twins? Less mellow and less easy. They're 2 1/2, pretty good as far as toddlers go but yeah, still toddlers :D

We're heading off in a week for WDW and it's just dawned on me that we're actually going and that I have NO PLAN. We have theme park hopper and water park tickets, and have booked into the restaurants we really wanted to go to, but beyond that I have no idea what to expect.

What are the must-sees for each age group? If you have older and younger kids, would you say it's a better option to have the parents split up and each do things with the kids individually, or try to hack it as a group and just try to find things that everyone will like? Of course we'll do a little of both, but for the bulk of the time?

TIA! And sorry I wrote a novel

Last edited by snowsparrow; 07-13-2013 at 10:07 PM.
snowsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

You really do need a plan with twin 2 year olds in July. I would plan to be at rope drop every AM. Coolest time of day and fewest lines. If there is an AM EMH either he there for that 7-8 am or avoid that park. Try to make your reservations and your parks day match so you don't waste a lot of travel time.

You can stay together for many to most of the rides. The twins can ride everything without a height restriction and that is a lot. I would not give her a choice on things, stuff do it all as a family. As far as the height restriction rides, you can do baby swap and she can ride with each parent with only waiting once! A great deal for her. Also you can use FP for these rides and takes turns with her. Maybe one parent take the twins back for a nap while the other does the bigger rides and switch off the next day?
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
Taylor'sMom
Wish I was there...

We will be dealing with the same age span in October. A 10-yr-old (who is a Disney veteran) and a nearly 3 year old (who has never been). Thankfully, I would say the "majority" of attractions at Disney can be enjoyed by the whole family. For the few things at each park that are just for the older set, I would just find the nearest toddler-friendly area to wait. Take Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad for example.. there is a toddler friendly playground area between those 2 areas (very near the Splash entrance)... and near Dinosaur there is the Boneyard pkayground. Use "Child Swap" so both adults can ride... and your 10-yr-old can ride 2x!
We don't plan to split up much, just maybe once in a while if the older one wants to squeeze in one more "thrill" ride, while the younger takes a break. If the little one can nap in the stroller, even better. But we'll take it as it comes.
So my advice... get park maps, learn where playgrounds are (some may not be on maps, so maybe start a new post to create a list?) and just go with the flow. If you don't do too many things in a row that exclude one age group, they'll probablly be ok. As I said, most things are family freindly. A 10 year old may not BEG to go on Its a Small World, buts it still a classic that they should do once.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

I have a big age span with my kids and what worked best for us was for me to take the older kids and DH to take the younger kids in the morning and then meet for lunch and then stay together as a family and do what you can do as a family in the afternoon.

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
snowsparrow
Earning My Ears

Thank you all very, very much! Writing these down for my little survival reference!

I never thought of having older DD ride with one of the little kids. Great idea!
Old 07-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

Your DD will not be allowed to ride alone with one of the toddlers. You must be 14 in order to be "responsible" for another rider. Most seats you can do three and two, or your DD can ride right in front of you alone while each of you take a little one, but they will not allow her for instance to ride in one Dumbo with a toddler while you DH and the other toddler ride together. She can ride alone, just not with anyone under 7.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
snowsparrow
Earning My Ears

Oh, okay! Still good to know in advance, and I don't think she'll be too devastated to not be on a ride with a shrilling toddler
Old 07-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
Freesia123
DIS Veteran

I'd reserve two afternoons for her to spend alone with each parent while the twins are napping. That gives you a chance to do the big kid things and it will be nice to have special time alone with each patent. I'm sure (as my older daughter does) that sometimes she feels the focus is too much on the younger kids. Make the time together extra special: let her choose what to do, use the time to let her leisurely choose her souvenirs, and just generally let her be free to enjoy everything without the distractions!
Freesia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #9
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

If you want a real touring plan, go to www.touringplans.com or take a look at the Unofficial Guide.

You can print up a touring plan for each park. What I would do then is take it with a grain of salt. At the very least, you'll have a list of age-appropriate, size-appropriate rides

What you want is a plan of attack. For example, when we enter a park, I go ahead of the rest of the family. With eveyone's tickets in hand, I go to our first Fastpass ride, get us a set of fastpasses, and meet the family at the firrst ride. That allows them to go at a more leisurely pace, perhaps even hit the restrooms. We do the first ride or two, then go back to use that fastpass, and repeat.

I haven't seen the new Fantasyland, and that will figure prominently in your Magic Kingdom planning, so I know my MK advice is outdated. Btu here's what we do:

MK: FP Peter Pan, meet at Big Thunder and Splash Mountains.
EP: FP Soarin', and do Soarin' We love it so much it's worth doing twice.
AK: Do the Safari, then FP Kali
DHS: FP Toy Story Mania, then ride it, it's worth doing twice!

A few other things: Count on being at rope drop, and then getting back to the resort in the afternoons for a swim/ nap. It will make your vacation, I promise.

Also, if you haven't already done so, go to www.gardengrocer.com and order 2 cases of water and some park snacks. (Know that there has been an issue with the resorts, and the fridges have been removed for the next month or so. So also order a foam cooler.) You can save a LOT of money by bringing water into the parks!

Go to amazon today and order a couple of mistymate personal misters. They're a godsend in the summer heat and humidity. You don't need one each; sharing isn't a problem.

Know that both of your twins will need a stroller, whether or not they still use one in real life. They'll be walking over 10 miles a day in the heat.

Have a fabulous trip!

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
jillianml
Mouseketeer

toddler and teen

We went this past march myself,DD 14 DD 2 and my brother met us there!My husband doesn't do Disney!We would go into the parks together then separate older ones rode big rides and then we would meet up later.One of the days DD 2 fell asleep in her stroller so we parked on the sidewalk on main street in front of the castle I ate my lunch peacefully (lol) with a great view and saved a spot for the parade!The only ride we did with the little one was Dumbo and she loved it!At Hollywood studios honey I shrunk the kids is a great play area and they can run around!I put a big sticker on my DD's back every day with our phone number just in case she escaped!We slept in every day had breakfast then headed into the parks around 10 or 11 This way everyone was rested.That would depend on how early your kids get up lol!We really enjoyed the character meals because waiting in line did not go so well DD 2 had a melt down wanted to run around and not stand in line lol!Good luck and just try to enjoy yourself Oh and get a map for the parks when you go in so you don't get lost lol!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: