Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #16
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by misca View Post
I am right there with you. I had most of our trip planned while Hubby was deployed. I had to practically tie him to the couch so he would watch the vacation DVD, just so he gets sort of a refresher of what to expect. He immediately liked the themes and asked if Shades of Green was the same way. I told him no, and he wanted me to find out quickly what a split hotel stay would cost.

I reserved the rooms at SOG a few months ago when they were offering a 30% discount on rooms, and we got a great deal. Looked at the Pop resort and it is just about the same, but you have to remember you have to pay for the tax at Pop, and you have to add at least $5 per day for parking at SoG.

This is our first Family trip, and the last time I went there we stayed off site. I think staying at SOG will be good because we don't really have anything to compare to and the price makes up for not getting a themed room(more money for souveniers. Plus the option of hopping on the monorail so close to SOG will be beneficial.

I'm sure whatever decision you make will be amazing, and I love the idea of a "babymoon"!
Don't forget that you have to pay to park at the parks, too, if you stay at SOG and transportation is available but more scheduled (buses run on the hour at the half hour, etc)

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW: Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #17
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

You never know if you will like it or not until you try it. I would recommend trying SOG now before kids. Then you will know your feelings for when yo return with kids. We have stayed at SOG at least 4 times when my kids were little. With 4 kids, it was one of the few hotels in our price range that slept 5. We loved it when I was a JNCO, however, as a SNCO I get better rates off site.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #18
mickeypedia
Mouseketeer

I have stayed at both resorts.....SOG is a very beautiful resort but transportation did it in for me. If you are going to stay at the resort most of the time, then I would pick SOG. Transportation was 20 minutes for TTC but every hour for everything else. I would walk over to Poly all the time to get to Downtown Disney and everything else. It's a good 10 - 15 minute walk, but I didn't mind it. On the other hand, I love POP. The food court is open from 6am to midnight, where SOG there restaurants close at regular times. POP has more of a Disney feel. Buses for everything run every 15 to 20 minutes. The downfall is that it can be very busy and loud, but September should be a good month for not as many kids because school starts. SOG is a very quiet hotel, the rooms are bigger than at POP. You do have a parking fee if you are driving at SOG. If you are flying, staying at POP, you have free transportation to and from the airport. I don't know if SOG has done this as of yet but it wasn't available when I was there, we rented a vehicle. I hope this helps with your decision. Have a great trip
Old 08-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #19
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momoftwins+1 View Post
I think I'm the only one on the planet that didn't enjoy SOG. The lobby is pretty but the rooms remind me too much of the temp. lodging on our military posts ( to include the same furniture ) which are drab and old. I found that it wasn't well kept up either in the area we stayed in,. Elevator was broken, there was flooding on the carpet in the hallway that nothing was done about other than a sign, slider door wouldn't shut properly (and it was a tropical storm outside so shutting tightly was important. Oh and the Italian restaurant was horrid! I've stayed at a bunch of Disney resorts of all levels and I've found things wrong but never that many in a small amount of time.

I'd choose POP but again you will have a great time no matter where you stay in the end, its Disney!
we have never stayed at a value but did stay once at sog. my grandfather is retired from the navy.

i agree with this opinion. we hated it and would never go back. we left early. the pool was disgusting. the food was awful. we found an open bag of chips in one of the rooms. it was dirty. the buses were unbelievably scarce. we now refer to it as `the shades` and torture each other by saying things like...oh..changed the reservation at Disney and we will be at `the shades` now.

i would stay at any value or off site hotel over sog.

note though that we stayed once 10 years ago. so take it from where it comes.

2015March- 6 days AKV-CL spring break 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL July: 4 days boardwalk villas/CR TPV CL June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl (too many to count before that)
Husband, myself and 4 year old son
jcjen519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #20
hannah'sdaddy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by annnewjerz View Post
Hi everyone.

My Husband and I are looking to get away in September for 4-5 nights for a "babymoon" (I hate that word) before we go from a family of 2 to a family of 3. Right now I'm planning to rent DVC points, but if that falls through --- the two resort options that are within our budget are:

POP
Shades of Green

We've stayed at POP before and actually liked it for what it is. We've never been to SOG but have seen pictures and it looks nice. The plan is to spend the morning/evening in the parks with most of the daytime at the hotel pool enjoying some sun, swimming and napping.

We've stayed at POP before for a long weekend and it was nice, for what we paid. But for the same price, would SOG be a better choice? I know it's more "deluxe" but without the Disney feel. Plus we like that's it's close to the monorail and TTC, but I'm not sure how much extra walking I'll be interested in by the time we get there anyway.

So --- what do you think we should do? If we can't do DVC after all, if the price was equal, POP or SOG?

Ann
I have stayed at SOG numerous times usually 7-10 days at a time and it is an unbelievable deal. You are not completely surround by Disney theme like at the other hotels and thought I would miss that, but it turns out no matter how much I love Disney sometimes good to getaway from the Disney overload.
hannah'sdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #21
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotsie View Post
Shades of Green, hands down. It's is SO pretty and quiet - if I was going sans kids that is what I would want. POP is LOUD!!
Also, Shades of Green is 25% off in September and is always tax free. Depending on rank, that's a substantial savings. They also have a stars and stripes ticket that is completely different than Disney's. It's not as affordable but still pretty darned good. For 6 days, park hopper, water parks and more for an adult was $298. Can't beat it.
Stars and Stripes can be purchased if staying at POP (or any Disney resort) as well.
OurBigTrip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #22
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran

Having stayed at both, I would choose POP. To me, SoG is great for buying tickets, but that's about it. I like the ability to charge to my room, have deliveries to my resort from the parks and DME.
OurBigTrip is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: