Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Courtyard Marriott - Has Disney chased me off property

I was so anxious before leaving for our vacation. We always stay on Disney property. But, to save money, we chose to stay at the Courtyard Marriott on Palm Parkway the week of July 4th - 9 days. Our total hotel cost was $706.77. We were literally 5-7 minutes from Downtown Disney.

We paid a AAA rate of $79 a night which included a full breakfast buffet, including fresh made omelets of your choice. Other choices, bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, potatoes, pancakes, french toast, sausage/gravy & biscuits, oatmeal, Mickey waffles, choice of breads, pastries, muffins, cutup fresh fruit, milk & cereal, choice of juices, and fresh fruit.

It was so nice to start each day with a full breakfast and not need lunch until 2:00 in the afternoon. The Servers were wonderful and attentive. Although the hotel was obviously not new, it was kept up well. It had a very nice pool and a wonderful extra large hot tub. There was free coffee and tea available in the lobby 24x7.

The hotel offered bus service, which seemed to be quite adequate. However, we had a car and chose to drive to the parks each day.

Don't get me wrong, I love staying on Disney property. But, when you have a limited budget, it's nice to have another choice. I highly recommend this resort.

One more thing, they also have rooms with sofabeds, in case you need a room that will sleep more than 4 people.

Last edited by disney1990; 07-11-2013 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Added another line.
disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

DH and I spent our honeymoon at that Courtyard when it was a Howard Johnson's. That was 21 years ago. We also drove to the parks every day.

We almost always stay on property, and will only stay on Palm Parkway. A friend of ours treated us to a night in the Springhill Suites that was just a little farther up 535. It took us 45 minutes to go about 1 mile from the Disney entrance. Never again.
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Mickey'sApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'sApprentice View Post
DH and I spent our honeymoon at that Courtyard when it was a Howard Johnson's. That was 21 years ago. We also drove to the parks every day.

We almost always stay on property, and will only stay on Palm Parkway. A friend of ours treated us to a night in the Springhill Suites that was just a little farther up 535. It took us 45 minutes to go about 1 mile from the Disney entrance. Never again.
Totally understand. Palm Parkway is close - other places, although they seem, close present too much traffic to get to in a short amount of time. That includes the resorts over near the outlet mall.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
jeff968
DIS Veteran

Good for you. We are off-siters now as we spend less and less time at the parks and more and more time at the pool. Your money sure goes farther.

14 Hilton Parc Soleil (DW, DD, MIL)
13, 12, 11 Hilton Parc Soleil (DW, DD with us, 2 in college)
10 Marriott Newport beach villas, California (DW, 3 kids)
09 Marriott Horizons (DW, 2 kids, MIL)
08 Marriott Cypress Harbor/Grand Vista (2 kids)
07 Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
06 Marriott Imperial Palm (DW, 3 kids, MIL, cousin)
05 Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
04 Vistana Villages/Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
03 AKL/Orange Lake (3 kids)
02 HGVC Seaworld (3 kids)
01 Vistana Resort (3 kids)
00 Radisson Resort Pkwy (3 kids)
97 Radisson Resort Pkwy (2 kids)
95 Sheraton Resort Pkwy (2 kids)
93 Dixie Landings (2 kids)
92 Port Orleans (1 child)
86 Sheraton world (the wife & I)
73 Can't remember (M&D&B&S&GM)
jeff968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
dcolleenkelly
Mouseketeer

Old 07-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
dcolleenkelly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
Totally understand. Palm Parkway is close - other places, although they seem, close present too much traffic to get to in a short amount of time. That includes the resorts over near the outlet mall.
Oh boy, where is the outlet mall? We are staying at a house in Windsor Hills. I hope that we are not near all of that traffic!!!!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff968 View Post
Good for you. We are off-siters now as we spend less and less time at the parks and more and more time at the pool. Your money sure goes farther.
+1 .

While we have stayed onsite once before (and had a lovely time at POR), we just can't justify getting a tiny room for such a premium price. After experiencing the other options offsite, I can't see ever going back to a Disney resort.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! PTR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
RnbwSktles
DIS Veteran

I have ONLY ever stayed off property since my parents bought a time share near by. Because of this, I am sooo super excited to finally stay in a Disney hotel in January! I almost feel like this experience will have the opposite effect on me, as in never wanting to stay elsewhere again.

I do sometimes wonder why Disney doesn't go the extra mile with their hotels and offer perks like breakfast buffets...and then I remember it's because they don't have to! There will always be people who are willing to pay the Disney premium, and with the DDP, they can make people feel like they are getting "free" breakfast every morning too!

2014 Coast to Coast Goal: Full marathon Jan 2014 & Dumbo Double Dare Aug 2014!
RnbwSktles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:14 AM   #9
jadejazzkayla
always planning the next trip.

Thank you for your review, disney1999. We will be staying at this hotel next week and were wondering how their pools were.
jadejazzkayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

I also really like Palm Parkway for a close but quiet location!

* 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR *
Trip Reports WDW and DLRP http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+reporthttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

That breakfast buffet is soooooo good. We've had that before.

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
Mrs Doubtfire
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcolleenkelly View Post
Oh boy, where is the outlet mall? We are staying at a house in Windsor Hills. I hope that we are not near all of that traffic!!!!
WH is nowhere near the outlet mall. It is an easy drive to the parks, you can use Sherbeth Road to get into WDW, it takes about 10 minutes to get to AK.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
2Pirates2Princesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Doubtfire View Post
WH is nowhere near the outlet mall. It is an easy drive to the parks, you can use Sherbeth Road to get into WDW, it takes about 10 minutes to get to AK.
I agree. We stayed at Windsor Hills this past May and it is such a great location for a Disney vacation. The drive to the Disney parks was easy and we did not experience any traffic congestion, which I heard is an issue in other parts of the Orlando area. Even without using the Sherberth Road shortcut, it took us no more than 10-15 minutes to get to the Disney parks. Once we came out out of the Windsor Hills gates onto North Old Lake Wilson Road and turned right onto route 192, we only spent a few minutes on route 192 before turning onto the ramp to World Drive which takes you to all the WDW parks.
2Pirates2Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote