Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
Albion218
Mouseketeer

Is Soarin' getting a makeover?

Just saw this on American Coaster Enthusiasts Facebook page and didn't see a thread here on it.

Thoughts?

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/20...-2014.html?m=1
Albion218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:14 AM   #2
castlecouture2011
Earning My Ears

Location: Arkansas...until I move back to FL to work for the mouse :)

Saw an article on this a few days ago on wdwthemeparks. I hope it's true. Actually, I wish they would keep one side as is and change the other side to something new. I just love that orange grove smell too much to let it go forever!

Off-site March 2004; Poly June 2007; Contemporary June 2008; Off-site March 2009; CP SA 2011 (AS Sports January 2011; Poly Club Level Feb 2011; Grand Flo May 2011; Boardwalk July 2011), Coronado January 2012 (proposal!); ASMovies November 2012
castlecouture2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2013, 04:13 AM   #3
Bella the Ball 360
Keyboarding is not my thing excuse typos.
I am going to have to sew "whoopie pie" pockets on the hips of my jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlecouture2011 View Post
Saw an article on this a few days ago on wdwthemeparks. I hope it's true. Actually, I wish they would keep one side as is and change the other side to something new. I just love that orange grove smell too much to let it go forever!
Soarn' over Fla can continue to have the orange grove smell....after all, most people associate Florida with Oranges much more than California. But that is just in case they do Soarn' over Florida.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
Michael623
WDW 37 trips, DL 10 trips, DLP 2 trips, Currently DL AP holder

Soarin' over FL? I'm guessing 20 minutes of strip mall footage?
Michael623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
castlecouture2011
Earning My Ears

Location: Arkansas...until I move back to FL to work for the mouse :)

I'm not getting where y'all are getting Soarin over FL from...everything I saw said Soarin over the World would be at WDW...?

Off-site March 2004; Poly June 2007; Contemporary June 2008; Off-site March 2009; CP SA 2011 (AS Sports January 2011; Poly Club Level Feb 2011; Grand Flo May 2011; Boardwalk July 2011), Coronado January 2012 (proposal!); ASMovies November 2012
castlecouture2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael623 View Post
Maybe throw in some gators? beaches? Space flight? boating?
Old 07-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

As much as Id like a new film, they need to do something with the projection system, and get a new one. The film's quality is out of date and is scratched and flakey. If they would just clean the film, remaster it in HD, and keep it nice, Id be happy. When I go on the ride anymore I feel like I'm watching an old documentary.

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
Hoodie
Going to BC and GF with one week's planning
The snappers go for you and the painteds pee on you. Either way, they never seemed very grateful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlecouture2011 View Post
What would be the smell soaring over New York?
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
ImDisneyDreaming
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodie View Post

Smog!!

Kristi Chris Aerial Christopher M&M Mittens Patches Mittens

Home resort SSR 2012

ImDisneyDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodie View Post
Bodies decaying within the chalk body outlines?
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Roasting Chestnuts.

I would really appreciate a Soaring over the World update.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael623 View Post
exactly...

the point of soarin over california is that california is the most interesting state (by far) in terms of what it contains....surfers and 12,000 foot skiing mountains...completely different climates from top to bottom...

flordia is nothing of the sort...its still all scrub or swamp...with beaches. no landmarks...no variations

this is yet another completely silly rumor in the million entry volume of "people making up wdw rumors without employing a brain" library
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Not Soon Enough
Gift Shop Quality: Horrible
Portion Size: Shrinking and Suffering from Inflation

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizCaptain View Post
As much as Id like a new film, they need to do something with the projection system, and get a new one. The film's quality is out of date and is scratched and flakey. If they would just clean the film, remaster it in HD, and keep it nice, Id be happy. When I go on the ride anymore I feel like I'm watching an old documentary.
Agreed. Luckily i have it on good authority that display systems are bent worked on. Something that would put the wow in the videos we see at WDW
Old 07-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #14
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizCaptain View Post
Part of the rumor is that it will go to a digital projection system. They haven't done this yet because the technology to project at a high enough resolution hasn't been there yet. Soarin' is essentially an IMAX film, projected onto a domed screen at an angle (it used to be called "Omnimax", now the format is called "IMAX Dome"). IMAX's 70mm film has a VERY high effective resolution - somewhere around 12k I believe. Most projection systems are only just passing the 4k mark. Blow that up to an IMAX screen and it can be noticeable.

The so-called "Digital IMAX" was actually a smaller resolution and was not projected at the full size of IMAX screens.

IMAX has been working on new digital projectors, that they are just beginning to roll out this year. I believe they are actually using a dual projector system to get the resolution high enough. How easily this will be adapted to a domed system (the images on film are distorted, and then it is projected through a special distortion lens to "correct" it on the screen, to correct from the projection angle), and then to Soarin', will decide what they do with Soarin'. But once done, they can do all sorts of things - like make it a variable ride experience like Star Tours: The Adventure Continues...

That's why I've been predicting for about a year it would be at least 2014 before they switched Soarin' to digital projection.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #15
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post

Part of the rumor is that it will go to a digital projection system. They haven't done this yet because the technology to project at a high enough resolution hasn't been there yet. Soarin' is essentially an IMAX film, projected onto a domed screen at an angle (it used to be called "Omnimax", now the format is called "IMAX Dome"). IMAX's 70mm film has a VERY high effective resolution - somewhere around 12k I believe. Most projection systems are only just passing the 4k mark. Blow that up to an IMAX screen and it can be noticeable.

The so-called "Digital IMAX" was actually a smaller resolution and was not projected at the full size of IMAX screens.

IMAX has been working on new digital projectors, that they are just beginning to roll out this year. I believe they are actually using a dual projector system to get the resolution high enough. How easily this will be adapted to a domed system (the images on film are distorted, and then it is projected through a special distortion lens to "correct" it on the screen, to correct from the projection angle), and then to Soarin', will decide what they do with Soarin'. But once done, they can do all sorts of things - like make it a variable ride experience like Star Tours: The Adventure Continues...

That's why I've been predicting for about a year it would be at least 2014 before they switched Soarin' to digital projection.
8k isn't high enough res?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: