Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #16
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

I think it also depends on your outlook for the trip. If this is your big once-in-a-lifetime shot at the Poly? Then I'd think about having a backup plan for when the construction is announced. If you think you'll be back to the Poly again? Then I would bite the bullet and check out those beautiful new CL rooms! You'll still be able to see the castle from the Hawaii building, no construction would change that.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #17
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kom1977 View Post
I wish this wasnt the case, but I found the construction more intrusive than I expected. I've stayed at GF once without construction and twice with. The sound was not an issue at all and, while you certainly could see evidence of construction everywhere, I feel like I knew what I was getting into with the visual disturbance. The part that bothered me most were the closures of certain normal areas. One pool and the quick service restaurant were closed. On the phone, the GF made it sound like they had made accommodations to adjust for those closures, but we had to walk all the way across the resort
to do absolutely anything. Also, the staff didn't entirely know what was going on because they were working in different places, etc. It felt like a makeshift site and felt "off", which kind of stinks when you are paying deluxe prices.

I did not complain or ask to be moved. We knew what we were getting into (although didn't realize how invasive it would be) and moving off The monorail really wasn't an option for us. I will say that we asked to be moved one time when we were staying at WL because our bathroom didn't work and the only option disney provided was moving to GF and paying un-discounted room rates for the new room. After that experience, it felt like complaining wasn't really worth it, so we just decided to suck it up and have fun anyway
That is unreasonable. Your room needs a working bathroom.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #18
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkermommyof3 View Post
Hi Mousemommy1!

I can tell you from first hand experience that Hawaii Bldg. is a great location at the Poly. Can't wait to return in a few days! From what the DVC plans look like, I can see the only reason for not staying during that time is if pool, GCH or restaurant closures are announced. From what I saw from the plans, it looked like building was going to be down near Tahiti and Luau Cove. That is far enough away not to interfere with a nice vacation at the Poly. JMO. I will probably book POLY CL again for next year. Can't help myself! Best of luck on your choice!

Yes, I think I could deal with construction on the outer edges of the resort, but I would be pretty disappointed if the GCH, pool and restaurants were affected. Too many unknowns!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
I think it also depends on your outlook for the trip. If this is your big once-in-a-lifetime shot at the Poly? Then I'd think about having a backup plan for when the construction is announced. If you think you'll be back to the Poly again? Then I would bite the bullet and check out those beautiful new CL rooms! You'll still be able to see the castle from the Hawaii building, no construction would change that.
We go to Disney annually, so we will likely have other opportunities to stay at the Poly. It has been my 1st choice for the past two trips, but I could not get past the decor....

Then, word came of the room refurb (underway now) and I was psyched...because I could finally plan my trip to the Poly! But, then of course, all of this potential DVC interference is going on, and with the timeframes for completion that I have seen, it may be a couple of years before I would want to stay at the Poly...

The GF would give us everything on our checklist, and no construction....I just always have a hard time getting excited for GF, I don't know why...I am sure it would be fabulous.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #19
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
We go to Disney annually, so we will likely have other opportunities to stay at the Poly. It has been my 1st choice for the past two trips, but I could not get past the decor....

Then, word came of the room refurb (underway now) and I was psyched...because I could finally plan my trip to the Poly! But, then of course, all of this potential DVC interference is going on, and with the timeframes for completion that I have seen, it may be a couple of years before I would want to stay at the Poly...

The GF would give us everything on our checklist, and no construction....I just always have a hard time getting excited for GF, I don't know why...I am sure it would be fabulous.
Well, I just bought a DVC contract at GF and my fiance's first question when we first discussed the purchase was "Am I ever going to be able to get you out of the lobby when we stay there?" GF is a resort I just like to "be" in. I could sit in the lobby, listening to the Disney music for hours. The dining options are amazing and the grounds are gorgeous. The only reason we never stayed at GF before was that I wasn't a fan of the frilly room decor. But the villas have a sleeker, more modern touch in the Victorian decor. So I can't wait to spend more than just an evening here or there at that resort. August 2014 can't come fast enough for me!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Old 07-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #20
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Well, I just bought a DVC contract at GF and my fiance's first question when we first discussed the purchase was "Am I ever going to be able to get you out of the lobby when we stay there?" GF is a resort I just like to "be" in. I could sit in the lobby, listening to the Disney music for hours. The dining options are amazing and the grounds are gorgeous. The only reason we never stayed at GF before was that I wasn't a fan of the frilly room decor. But the villas have a sleeker, more modern touch in the Victorian decor. So I can't wait to spend more than just an evening here or there at that resort. August 2014 can't come fast enough for me!
We might be there at the same time!!!! Our dates will be 8/17-8/27

I feel like our safe bet is GF....

Oh, and congrats on your upcoming wedding!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 07-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #21
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
We might be there at the same time!!!! Our dates will be 8/17-8/27

I feel like our safe bet is GF....

Oh, and congrats on your upcoming wedding!
We'll be there August 23-29! Thanks! We've got quite a year of Disney coming up. Honeymoon at Yacht Club, May 2014 at BWV, August 2014 at VGF and December 2014 at BWV.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #22
LittleStinkerbelle
DIS Veteran

We stayed there in April 2012. It was a very last minute change because we found out with just weeks to go that SAB was going to be about 2/3 closed during our stay at BC and we weren't up for that. So the construction at that time was in the early stages. The main thing was the walls around the feature pool (it was still open but no view of the beach) and all along the pathway to the Wedding Pavilion. I always loved that beautiful walk between GF and Poly so I was sad to see that. There was also a big crane up most of the time.

I was concerned with getting a construction view so I asked them to note, "away from construction" on our ressie and even with the last minute booking the did accommodate that. In fact, we were originally put in Sago Cay but I wanted to be a little closer to the pool so they gladly switched us over to Boca Chica. All in all, I didn't regret our stay but as I've seen bits and bobs about the progress, I think I would've been unhappy as things progressed and there was more going on, especially when the courtyard pool was being worked on because that's such a central/pretty feature of the resort. HTH

Next up: Disneyland, Spring 2015!

DFTVR - Memories Collection, October 2010 at Conch Key Marina
LittleStinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #23
dipastor
Mouseketeer

We stayed at the GF during construction. The first room the CM tried to give us was this description... "We have a great view of our new DVC building" It was under construction and I knew that. We quickly had the rooms switched. It was a bummer having to navigate through the closed main pool, walls for the beach area and closed quick service. We had stayed at GF two other times before construction and had a great time.

Let's just say... the magic was ruined for us. We have stayed at Beach Club twice since then with positive experience. I don't think I will ever stay at a resort during construction (If I can help it). You're paying too much to settle.
dipastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #24
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipastor View Post
We stayed at the GF during construction. The first room the CM tried to give us was this description... "We have a great view of our new DVC building" It was under construction and I knew that. We quickly had the rooms switched. It was a bummer having to navigate through the closed main pool, walls for the beach area and closed quick service. We had stayed at GF two other times before construction and had a great time.

Let's just say... the magic was ruined for us. We have stayed at Beach Club twice since then with positive experience. I don't think I will ever stay at a resort during construction (If I can help it). You're paying too much to settle.
My thoughts exactly.

PAST TRIPS:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: