Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 02:07 AM   #1
Fantaluminishes
To all who come to this happy place, welcome!

AKL or POR? Advice needed

I have booked Animal Kingdom Lodge (pool view) for the first four nights of my September trip. The last five nights will be an Wilderness lodge. I'm thinking about extending the first half to five nights as well. I can pay an extra night at AKL, or switch my resort to POR (king bed) for the same price as my original 4 night AKL reservation.

I stayed at POR last year and enjoyed it quite a bit. I've never stayed at any deluxe WDW property. Would I regret switching to POR? Or should I just pay the extra $229 to extend a night at AKL. Also, should I rent a care if I'm staying at AKL. I know it's remote, but was sort of planning to do just Disney transportation this time around.

All advice is welcome.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:10 AM   #2
goofyredraider
DIS Veteran

IMO, AKL blows POR out of the water...and I adore POR. There is truly nothing like AKL- the culture, experiences, vibe there is just amazing!

DS(8) DS (11)DD (12)

POR July 2011, POR May 2012, BC June 2012 ; POFQ, AKL, & BC June 2013 (23 night stay!!); POR December 2013,
ASMo for Princess Half Marathon- February 2014
POP/AKL - June 2014; Disney Dream June 2014;
Disneyland - DLH July 2014;
**Coming soon*** ASMu October 2014
goofyredraider is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2013, 04:11 AM   #3
BrdwayBoy
"I know now that theatre saved my life." - S. Stroman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyredraider View Post
IMO, AKL blows POR out of the water...and I adore POR. There is truly nothing like AKL- the culture, experiences, vibe there is just amazing!
I have to agree. AKL is really incredible. I'd say stay here; especially since you've already stayed at POR.

BrdwayBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
Babsy
DIS Veteran

AKL is so great!! I would definitely stay there.

Disney buses are pretty good, so you don't really need a car unless you are planning to go to other resorts or places outside WDW.
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
Belleandtinker
DIS Veteran

AKL hands down. The theming and animals make it. Our DS loved the giraffes. He named one sleepy because it slept near our room every night in the same place. My son thought it was so cool to eat breakfast and snacks on the balacony with the animals.
June 1982 – WDW Treehouse Villas; March 1988 – WDW Off-Site; September 1992 – WDW Disney Institute and Off-Site; April 1997 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; April 2002 – DL Off-Site; April 2003 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2004 – DL Paradise Pier; April 2005 – DLP Off-Site; April 2008 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; January 2009 – WDW Caribbean Beach Resort; April 2010 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2011 - WDW Coronado Springs/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2012 - WDW Coronado Springs/Caribbean Beach Resort; October 2012 - WDW All Star Movie; March 2013 - DL Grand Califorian; October 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2015 - ?

Belleandtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantaluminishes View Post
I have booked Animal Kingdom Lodge (pool view) for the first four nights of my September trip. The last five nights will be an Wilderness lodge. I'm thinking about extending the first half to five nights as well. I can pay an extra night at AKL, or switch my resort to POR (king bed) for the same price as my original 4 night AKL reservation.

I stayed at POR last year and enjoyed it quite a bit. I've never stayed at any deluxe WDW property. Would I regret switching to POR? Or should I just pay the extra $229 to extend a night at AKL. Also, should I rent a care if I'm staying at AKL. I know it's remote, but was sort of planning to do just Disney transportation this time around.

All advice is welcome.
I would pay the extra and add the night at AKL. We've never stayed at POR, but we loved AKL and we loved our pool view room. As far as transportation, everyone's opinion is different, but we found the buses to be fine. AKL is out away from everything, but since the buses only go to Kidani and AKL, there is no sharing with any other resort(s). Good luck deciding, but I don't think you'd regret paying a little extra for AKL .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
Fantaluminishes
To all who come to this happy place, welcome!

Thanks everybody for the responses. I'm still deciding on this. I want to extend the AKL stay. I guess I'm going through buyer's remorse because my original plan was to spend 7 nights at POP. Now I'm at 9 nights split with AKL and WL, and thinking of adding a 10th night. I already changed my flights, so I have to make a decision on the resort. Pretty sure I'm gonna go with adding the AKL night.

This transportation thing is bothering me. I know AKL is out of the way. I promised myself I wasn't going to cram too much into this trip. I just don't want to waste a bunch of time on busses and/or waiting for them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: