Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #121
BuzzBelleMom
DIS Veteran

(I do feel for all those affected, but after reading about the fire, I would rather make do than risk smoke inhalation, losing my possessions or worse.)
Old 07-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #122
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2AidanAndEli View Post
Not having a fridge isn't a big deal. My family survived several trips with coolers and ice and made it through just fine.

Not getting what I paid for IS a big deal. Would you go anywhere else and not get what you paid for and say, "Oh, okay, no big deal. I did pay for it, but if you don't have it, that's okay." I have this funny expectation of getting what you agreed to give me when I paid you for it! Maybe that's just me....

And, yes, maybe I could switch, although I did just make my final payment to them! But the only way I even know about it is from being here. Isn't it Disney's responsibility to inform people that they're not going to get what they paid before---before they actually arrive?
I had a similar problem at POR a few years ago. Showed up, and the one amenity that made me book a moderate resort instead of a value (the pool slide) was closed for our whole trip. Without notice. I asked the manager why they didn't notify guests ahead of time, and he stated they didn't have to. I tried to explain that while they may not HAVE to, it sure would have been nice of them. According to that manager they can take away any amenity without notice. It is up to the guest to make sure each resort has what they want.

I think Disney views things like this the same way they view ride closures. Sometimes stuff happens, and they have to fix things. There are no guarantees every single thing will be operational for your trip. Apparently that holds true at the resorts too.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #123
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
I know it. But that has been suggested here. I won't use ice buckets either. I have heard of people using them to catch vomit when someone in the room is sick. Shudder!
Yeah, that's why we always clean the bucket with Clorox wipes and use the plastic bag, or we use our own cooler.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #124
Patience
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBelleMom View Post

(I do feel for all those affected, but after reading about the fire, I would rather make do than risk smoke inhalation, losing my possessions or worse.)
Agreed. If, however, they are taking an amenity away, they should make it up to the guest. It's not the guest's fault that Disney is having a problem with their refrigerators.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #125
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Agreed. If, however, they are taking an amenity away, they should make it up to the guest. It's not the guest's fault that Disney is having a problem with their refrigerators.
PP is right, this is exactly like an attraction being closed. Disney does not owe you anything!
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

Old 07-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #126
Patience
DIS Veteran

I think they do owe a guest the amenities they advertised but even if they don't legally, it's poor customer service to just shrug their shoulders and tell you to use a cooler or a trash can instead of the refrigerator they advertised as a room amenity when you booked your room.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #127
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle1528 View Post
My husbands solution is to bring our own mini fridge since we will be driving anyway. I think he's crazy. Would they even allow that?
Before POP has fridges we took our own. Strapped it to a small luggage cart and rolled it in. Might have to go back to that September. No way there will be enough ice to fill all the coolers.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 8x (1xBusClass) ~ PO Riverside 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek ~ PO French Quarter
POP Century 15x ~ Hilton DTD 2x ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 3x ~ B Resort
All Star Movie ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
Old 07-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #128
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_girl125 View Post
I'm staying at pop century in about 3 and a half weeks. I called disney twice and got the same answer. They said they will only be exchanging out the affected refrigerators in unoccupied guest rooms. So, we still will have refrigerators. They said once a room is unoccupied they will switch it out before giving the room to another guest. I sure hope that's true. If it's not i'll be a bit annoyed that disney didn't let me know ahead of time. I expect the room to have what it includes and everything to be functioning. I buy milk for cereal in the room for breakfast. I also like my bottled water cold in the heat of summer!
This is a relief. Hope it's true for the same reasons. My parents never splurged to stay on Dis property and I wanted this first trip as an on property Dis family to be perfect! I will be so disappointed if we don't have this amenity.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

August 2014 Trip Report (In progress) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3324325

Pre -Trip Report for August 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3215904

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
August 2013 Walt Disney World - Pop Century
Old 07-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #129
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think they do owe a guest the amenities they advertised but even if they don't legally, it's poor customer service to just shrug their shoulders and tell you to use a cooler or a trash can instead of the refrigerator they advertised as a room amenity when we booked our rooms.
Is that what Disney suggested? Using coolers or trash cans?
Old 07-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #130
Patience
DIS Veteran

I don't think Disney has suggested any alternatives, except for those with medical necessity. Apparently, Disney isn't even planning to tell its guests that they won't have a refrigerator until the day they check in. Posters here have said that they will bring coolers or use the trash cans which appear to be the guest's only alternative if they want to keep food or drinks cold in the room.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #131
wishing4PA
Wants to be in Pennsylvania or WDW or PA or WDW or ... and stuck smack dab in the middle!

Quote:
I think they do owe a guest the amenities they advertised but even if they don't legally, it's poor customer service to just shrug their shoulders and tell you to use a cooler or a trash can instead of the refrigerator they advertised as a room amenity when we booked our rooms.
I think the most appropriate compensation was a PP's suggestion of refillable mugs per person. Or, if already included in a guest's package, perhaps something else along the same monetary value. Not that Disney WILL offer anything, it just seems appropriate IMHO.
Even so, for me, the fridge is an expected part of a hotel room. I'll book or not book based on it, and yes, I participated in a fridge swap when we were in ASMo before Disney added the "coolers" to the values. I am definitely not looking forward to potentially not having a fridge next week! And even a refillable mug won't help with leftovers. At least I'm driving down and can bring a cooler. I'm running a test of a 6 can plug in cooler I hadn't used for a few years. The thing is annoyingly noisy (while in the same room with it) but it seems to be working. Not sure yet whether I'll bring it along or fight the masses at the ice machine.
* 7/2013 (YC with DD), 1/2012 (Poly - me, DD, DN, DN, DSis, thanks! ), 7/2010 (FW - the Poly5+Mom), 2/2009 (DD4 & DH's 1st visit! ASMo), Day trip ~1990, Overnight "Jazz Night" with HS band (1978?), ~10 Day trips in 1970's-80's (E tickets!)
* Disney World Preview Center (1970?) An amusement park here, in the middle of nowhere, far from the beaches, nowhere near anything, even dinky little Orlando? That'll never fly!
Old 07-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #132
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't think Disney has suggested any alternatives, except for those with medical necessity. Posters here have said that they will bring coolers or use the trash cans which appear to be the guest's only alternative if they want to keep food or drinks cold in the room.
Oh, got it. Based on your previous post, I would have agreed that shrugging and offering the trash can option would be bad customer service.

I believe they owe it to those that have reservations to notify them well in advance, and they owe it to those with medical needs to have fridges available. Other than that, I don't see this as being any different any compensation is due.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #133
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgeisler View Post
Us too...we're staying at CR. I feel the same way.
Another Poly dweller here. We arrive on 7/31 for 8 days. We fly and use DME. So no way to "stop on the way" to buy a cheap cooler as so many suggest/plan to do. We always bring some perishable snacks (we freeze them and pack them in our checked luggage so they're still cold when we get to the resort) for breakfast for our kids. It stinks that we can't plan to do that this time. I'm glad that we have 3 weeks notice to go with Plan B, but still not happy at all to not have a fridge during the HOT, HOT, HOT summer trip!
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Old 07-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #134
Jules54
Earning My Ears

This can be a "budget buster" for families without the deluxe dining plan. Many families plan to eat breakfast in their room to save some money. If you aren't notified until you get there, the surprise expense of having to buy/pay for breakfast for the entire family can be significant.

They should at least tell guests before they arrive so they can plan accordingly.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #135
DebbiePMN
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeywho? View Post
I'm sure we can all "manage to survive" without our fridge. But I can also manage to survive at home. I've paid to enjoy a stay at a resort and it was part of the package. Disney has messed up with this one and needs to rally and get it solved.
I so agree! Disney needs to fix this!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: