Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #76
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
Maybe there is really nothing wrong with the fridges.....

Disney is just getting ready for fast pass+ ....They've realized they are running out of attractions to offer, so now you can book your fridge for the day and time you want it 60 days in advance!

How great is that!!
We're sorry, you're not going to be able to keep drinks cold in your room. Don't worry, we left you a note.

Now would be a good time to remind you of our new super high tech resort mugs that know how to turn off when your money runs out!

Old 07-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #77
shyjade
DIS Veteran

Just checked with a friend who is currently staying at the Contemporary and their fridge is still in the room & plugged in...

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #78
mickeywho?
I think when they became trendy people just assumed the spellings
Gotta love those mounties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurBigTrip View Post
I understand, I always just kind of chuckle when people want a discount for the absence of something that was free to begin with.
It's not FREE. They are a included in the cost for the room - as is the tv and dvd player, the number of beds etc etc. If they have to remove part of what you have paid for they need to offer an alternative for their PAYING guests!

Not impressed!! These fridge/cupboard designs have been a problem for years.
March 2014 - Vero Beach Christmas & New Years 2013 - 2014 August 2013 - POFQ & Beach Club for summer heat! March 2013 - Dream Cruise and Vero Beach with our best buds!March 2012 - Vero Beach Christmas 2011 New Year's 2012 - VWL Mar 2011 - 1st time at Vero!Oct 2010 - SSR F&W with the inlaws!May 2010 - Poly & SWW with my big guy!! Christmas and New Years 2009-2010 - HHI Nov 2009 - Just me and my little guy at BWV Jan 2009 - Cruised the Wonder, BCV with best friends! Mar 2008 - "No Kiddies" trip to BWV Feb 2008 - SSR & BWV Aug 2007 - Poly (concierge!) Feb 2007- OKW GV with my family Feb 2006 - POR & WL - first trip with the 4 of us! May 1999 - CSR - first trip with the 3 of us!

(DH) (Me!) (DS16) (DS12) English cocker puppy!
Old 07-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #79
hapandpam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaw View Post
It's probably related to this http://www.disboards.com/showthread....nd+californian

There was an electrical fire in room 5322 of the Grand California Hotel last month ... The fridge apparently caught fire.
This is probably the reason. If a refrigerator caught fire, and they determined there was a problem with the model or the way they were installed, they would have to remove all of them immediately. Otherwise the company would be negligent in allowing a dangerous situation to exist. If this is the case, I commend Disney with making a decision that keeps their guests safe. (I would love free refillable mugs, but I doubt if that will happen. )
Old 07-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #80
cart-mom
Busy Scout Mom

This stinks but I do understand the 4 months to replace them all. Think about how many rooms they are talking about and the limited time to get into a room to replace it.
Just to be safe I an packing an insulated bag to use for ice. So much easier than buying a cooler down there only to trash it because I can't take it on the plane. I can just use the bag for souvenirs on the trip home. Hehe.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #81
GillianP1301
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapandpam View Post
This is probably the reason. If a refrigerator caught fire, and they determined there was a problem with the model or the way they were installed, they would have to remove all of them immediately. Otherwise the company would be negligent in allowing a dangerous situation to exist. If this is the case, I commend Disney with making a decision that keeps their guests safe. (I would love free refillable mugs, but I doubt if that will happen. )

The only weird thing there is, the fire was a month ago. 4 weeks is not an immediate response to a dangerous situation. Maybe it got caught up in legal.

Even more weird, is the report there are people in rooms with running fridges. When did this fridge swapout actually start? Maybe I'm assuming this is just starting now because the date of this post, but maybe it was actually going on for a few weeks already?
POP & Offsite - Aug 2013 - MB/FP+ test
Caribbean Beach Resort - Aug 2012 - First visit with DS4
Disneyland - 2003 - Solo business trip
WDW Offsite - 1997 - 5th Anniversary
WDW Offsite - 1992 - Honeymooon
WDW Offsite - 1986 - First WDW trip
Old 07-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #82
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyjade View Post
Just checked with a friend who is currently staying at the Contemporary and their fridge is still in the room & plugged in...
Tell them to check their smoke detector.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #83
CareHeartsDisney
Mouseketeer

I just read on the Disney Travel Agents website that refrigerators are only being removed from unoccupied rooms at this time. So, if anyone is currently at Disney and has food/drinks in the refrigerator, they don't have to worry about things being removed.

WDW Trips - Offsite: 3/93, 1/94, 3/94, 2/96, 11/12 (MVMCP while visiting Universal Studios); Onsite: 4/95 WL, 11/08 CSR, 11/11 Poly, 10/12 AoA Cars Suite, 2/13 POR, 2/14 POR

Universal Orlando Trips - Offsite: 3/94, 12/97; Onsite: 11/11 HRH, 11/12 HRH, 2/14 PBH
Old 07-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #84
CareHeartsDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillianP1301 View Post
Even more weird, is the report there are people in rooms with running fridges. When did this fridge swapout actually start? Maybe I'm assuming this is just starting now because the date of this post, but maybe it was actually going on for a few weeks already?
It was just posted this morning on the Disney Travel Agents website.

WDW Trips - Offsite: 3/93, 1/94, 3/94, 2/96, 11/12 (MVMCP while visiting Universal Studios); Onsite: 4/95 WL, 11/08 CSR, 11/11 Poly, 10/12 AoA Cars Suite, 2/13 POR, 2/14 POR

Universal Orlando Trips - Offsite: 3/94, 12/97; Onsite: 11/11 HRH, 11/12 HRH, 2/14 PBH
Old 07-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #85
belle1528
Mouseketeer

My husbands solution is to bring our own mini fridge since we will be driving anyway. I think he's crazy. Would they even allow that?
Old 07-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #86
GillianP1301
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart-mom View Post
This stinks but I do understand the 4 months to replace them all. Think about how many rooms they are talking about and the limited time to get into a room to replace it.
Just to be safe I an packing an insulated bag to use for ice. So much easier than buying a cooler down there only to trash it because I can't take it on the plane. I can just use the bag for souvenirs on the trip home. Hehe.
I would think they could do it in parallel with housekeeping. If they can clean all those rooms in a day, they could technically replace all those fridges in a day (assuming they could get that many all at once) They would need to be willing to pay enough wages to cover the extra maintenance staff needed to do it of course, but the logistics really aren't that complicated. The supply of that many fridges is a little more comlicated and would have to be staged. But 4 months? I don't think so. I agree with the pp who said it's probably a CYA exercise. Set the bar low, makes it easier to overachieve.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #87
GillianP1301
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareHeartsDisney View Post
I just read on the Disney Travel Agents website that refrigerators are only being removed from unoccupied rooms at this time. So, if anyone is currently at Disney and has food/drinks in the refrigerator, they don't have to worry about things being removed.
So I guess the fridges are safe enough for people already there, just not for those arriving in the coming weeks?
Old 07-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #88
monorailsilver
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&B Young View Post
Same here! We're planning on the Poly, and a deluxe room should include a fridge IMO.
Two Thumbs Up from me. I mean we stay at a Hilton, Marriot, etc.. and get a fridge for half or a 1/4 of the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearloch View Post
not surprised we were at Port in June and the fridge sucked! it did not work right at all we called housekeeping and front desk it was not a major issues for us as we had a cooler with us we used. They had stated they were having issues with lots of the fridges then!.. and no cold water in tap is common everywhere in Fl in summer we live just outside Tampa and we cant get cold tap from april to oct!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserrai View Post
We stayed at the Contemporary in a tower room last month. When we arrived, the refrigerator was not working. I called maintenance and the man came with a brand new one which also would not work in the cabinet. He ended up taking it out of the cabinet and placing it on the floor where it worked fine the entire week we were there. He said the fans don't circulate in the cabinet so it won't work. My brother had a room down the hall and he had to take his out of the cabinet also to make it work. The refrigerator was the exact same one we had when we stayed at AOA last December. I wonder if they bought this brand or type when they decided to put them in all the values and have figured out they won't work.

Just to clarify, we stayed in a Little Mermaid room at AOA.
Yep! When we went 5 years ago, we called maintenance to fix the fridge that was not keeping our milk & soy milk cold & my son's butter (dairy allergic), plus extra food for him. They replaced the fridge & it was still hot. My dh realized it was inside a cabinet & couldn't be ventilated. He took it out & put it between the tv/couch & it was cold. Our ice packs were even frozen in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbrat View Post
Perhaps they will put coolers for sale in the resort gift shops until the replacements are complete. This would be very helpful for those without cars. Hopefully not at jacked up prices!
Don't worry the coolers will cost us $39.99 & only be good for your stay at the current resort. If you resort hop, you will have to buy a new one at that resort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules54 View Post
I just talked to the IPO at the Poly and they said the refrigerators were not being removed or disconnected.
That would be a good thing but they do need to be ventilated. Maybe take a circular attachment piece (like you are drilling a hole to put in a door handle) to the back of the little counter where the coffee pot is to give it some ventilation.

Quote:
My thoughts...the refrigerators being in the cabinets in the resorts causes them to not be very cold. It is often suggested to open the door of the cabinet in order to allow air to circulate which effectively cools the fridge. It would make sense to move the refrigerators to an area without a cabinet but there most likely isn't room to do so. Alternatively, Disney can opt to remove the door to the cabinets but that might not look attractive (holes where the screws were would need to be filled and retouched). I imagine they are ordering refrigerators that will work without the need for airflow or they will be replacing some of the furniture. elaw's post makes sense as to why Disney is recalling all the refrigerators at the same time. If they pose a fire hazard, Disney is being cautious. Otherwise, it would make more sense to replace a few at a time. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that the suites and the DVC resorts have the refrigerators in cabinets and that would be the reason they don't need to be replaced. Either that or they are different brands/models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntconn View Post
I cant imagine that it would take very long at all to replace the refrigerators at any given resort. I've questioned the refrigerator placement at the Poly since they did the last rehab in 2006. Every year we check in and have to call maintenance to bring a new fridge because the one currently in the room is not cooling properly. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put an appliance that requires ventilation into a small closed cabinet was nuts! Either way, I don't expect the fridge switch to take very long if it needs to be done at your resort of choice. I wouldn't panic at this point
Yep & yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani C View Post
Unless, like me, you are only two weeks from check in. No, knowing in advance makes it livable. Not knowing could get messy though.
We have 3 weeks. I have a standby WT cooler-plastic bags, ice & the garbage can but I also have a soft sided cooler I can bring if needed plus one of my sisters is driving my other sister so if need be, I will be out buying Styrofoam coolers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5boyz View Post
I just called there! No fridges...we are there in 19 days for 10 days...I guess we are going old fashion....ice in the garbage can and cooler.. Oh well we're gonna be at Disney....
My dh & I used to do that all the time. It worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartleby1 View Post
This!!

We had a problem at least 10 yrs ago with the fridge in our room and when maintenance came to look at it, he said that they have problems all the time with the fridges freezing up and not working properly because they are inside cabinets with no ventilation. So, why in the world would disney refurb rooms and make the same mistake again? I dont get it.

Hopefully Disney finds a way to replace them quickly. I don't see how they can possibly think it is ok to leave guests without a fridge and not telling them until they checkin. That is awful. Plus, if a whole resort does not have fridges, I would imagine the ice machines would be constantly empty from people filling coolers.
I think I will wake up early & hit the ice machine at about 5am.

Quote:
That is good!
June 1975 Golf Resort & Polynesian August 1977 DL off site April 1990 WDW off site May 1981 Polynesian July-August 1985 Polynesian July-August 1987 Polynesian/Floridian July-August 1990 Beach Club May 1994 All Star Sports/Polynesian June 1995 Wilderness Lodge/Dixie Landings February 1997 off site/Wilderness Lodge March-April 1999 Engagement Trip February 2000 Polynesian August 2002 Polynesian July 2005 Polynesian August 2008 Polynesian August 2013 Polynesian and I think there were a few more trips here & there but I have lost track.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #89
designermv
Disco Miniature Golfing Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules54 View Post
I just talked to the IPO at the Poly and they said the refrigerators were not being removed or disconnected.
I asked this question on the Disney TA blog, and got this reply directly from Disney:

Quote:
All of the "standard" size mini-fridges, like those found in most Resort rooms, are being removed. That includes those at Disney's Polynesian Resort.
Polynesian, November 2011
Polynesian, November 2012
Polynesian CL, October 21-28 2013

Upcoming:
Beach Club, October 11-18
Polynesian CL November 2015

R Noodle (9yrs) Peepers (4yrs)

Old 07-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #90
HubbDave
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are - BB
I do love pics of defunct and abandoned Parks

Return of the Fridge Swap!!!