Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #166
Patience
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneefamily+4 View Post

It'd be a lot easier to get over it if we the ability to HAVE a cooler. We fly in and take DME. No car. Not really able to pack one in our luggage either. Traveling in early Aug (3 weeks from today actually) without the ability to keep drinks cold sucks. Not everyone can just "survive by putting things in a cooler for a week."
Yup, we're flying too so no ability to have a cooler even if I wanted one. And I'm NOT using the trash can.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #167
CT Disney
Mouseketeer

I noticed there are a few people saying that no fridge is "Not a Big Deal".

But, here's the thing: We all have different priorities. What may not be a big deal to you, may be a huge deal to someone else. We all vacation differently.

To a family that has kids and plans to eat breakfast exclusively in the room, no fridge may be a big deal. Maybe some families have food allergies or kids that are extremely picky eaters, and they like to keep certain refrigerated foods on hand. All I'm saying is that you can't judge someone else's situation.

And, I can see where this fridge situation may be a big deal to some families.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #168
SyracuseWolvrine
Hockey Fanatic
Is he a bigger hockey fan than a Canadian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb584 View Post
The 4 month replacement timeline also seems a bit insane. Why would it take so long to replace them? It seems like a task that could be done in a 2 week time period, if that. Order new, remove old, connect new.
Why will it take so long? Well, let's think about it, using Pop Century as an example. Pop has roughly 2,000 rooms.

Let's assume that it takes 15 minutes per refrigerator to remove the packaging and recycle the cardboard. That would be 15 minutes x 2,000 refrigerators = 30,000 minutes = 500 hours. Assuming that they staff 8 people on the "Refrigerator" project, for 8 hours a day, that's 64 hours of labor available per day. 500 hrs needed divided 64 hrs available per day = nearly 8 days, just to unpackage the refrigerators.

Then, since you have to move the refrigerators from the loading dock to the buildings, plug them in, put them into place, and remove the old refrigerators, let's say it takes 45 minutes per refrigerator to replace each one. Times 2,000 refrigerators, that's 90,000 minutes, or 1,500 hours. Divide that by the 64 hours of labor available per day, and we get another 25 days.

So, add it all up, and that puts us at 32 days, just to replace the refrigerators in one resort, if those times are correct, and nothing goes wrong.

I've only skimmed the responses, so I don't know if Disney is going to pull all the old refrigerators before they install the new ones. If they do that, then the process would take even longer.

(not to mention lead time on procuring the new refrigerators, especially if they are going to pull all the old ones before getting the new ones)
The opinions and comments in the above post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, policies or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all areas contained therein. Any information or advice in the above post is subject to change at any time without notice. Tampering with, disabling, or destroying lavatory smoke detectors is prohibited. This post may contain nuts or be written by someone who is nuts. Void where prohibited. This post may not be reproduced without express written permission of the Commissioner of Baseball. The moving rubber line is moving at the same speed as you. Member FDIC.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #169
Blessedwith3boys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneefamily+4

It'd be a lot easier to get over it if we the ability to HAVE a cooler. We fly in and take DME. No car. Not really able to pack one in our luggage either. Traveling in early Aug (3 weeks from today actually) without the ability to keep drinks cold sucks. Not everyone can just "survive by putting things in a cooler for a week."
They're 8 bucks!!! We're all traveling to Disney World.... I'm thinking we can swing the added cost of having one delivered to your room.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #170
Patience
DIS Veteran

$8 for a cheapo styrofoam cooler that won't drain. Like I said, that's not terribly magical to me.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #171
Blessedwith3boys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Disney
I noticed there are a few people saying that no fridge is "Not a Big Deal".

But, here's the thing: We all have different priorities. What may not be a big deal to you, may be a huge deal to someone else. We all vacation differently.

To a family that has kids and plans to eat breakfast exclusively in the room, no fridge may be a big deal. Maybe some families have food allergies or kids that are extremely picky eaters, and they like to keep certain refrigerated foods on hand. All I'm saying is that you can't judge someone else's situation.

And, I can see where this fridge situation may be a big deal to some families.
Btw..... We have 3 small children... Always eat breakfast in the room.... And do see this as an inconvenience! But, we all have to get over it!!! I am much more concerned about my room catching on fire!
Old 07-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #172
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyracuseWolvrine View Post
Why will it take so long? Well, let's think about it, using Pop Century as an example. Pop has roughly 2,000 rooms.

Let's assume that it takes 15 minutes per refrigerator to remove the packaging and recycle the cardboard. That would be 15 minutes x 2,000 refrigerators = 30,000 minutes = 500 hours. Assuming that they staff 8 people on the "Refrigerator" project, for 8 hours a day, that's 64 hours of labor available per day. 500 hrs needed divided 64 hrs available per day = nearly 8 days, just to unpackage the refrigerators.

Then, since you have to move the refrigerators from the loading dock to the buildings, plug them in, put them into place, and remove the old refrigerators, let's say it takes 45 minutes per refrigerator to replace each one. Times 2,000 refrigerators, that's 90,000 minutes, or 1,500 hours. Divide that by the 64 hours of labor available per day, and we get another 25 days.

So, add it all up, and that puts us at 32 days, just to replace the refrigerators in one resort, if those times are correct, and nothing goes wrong.

I've only skimmed the responses, so I don't know if Disney is going to pull all the old refrigerators before they install the new ones. If they do that, then the process would take even longer.

(not to mention lead time on procuring the new refrigerators, especially if they are going to pull all the old ones before getting the new ones)
I don't know how accurate this info is but someone said there is nothing wrong with fridges themselves, it's the enclosed location that's the problem. (and the reason why DVC is unaffected)

So they may not have to remove the fridges at all, but they will have to redo the area they are located.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #173
CT Disney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
Btw..... We have 3 small children... Always eat breakfast in the room.... And do see this as an inconvenience! But, we all have to get over it!!! I am much more concerned about my room catching on fire!
To be clear...I'm not saying that a potential fire hazard is less important than a fridge in the room. That would just be silly.

I'm simply saying that not having a fridge may be an issue for some families.

So, even if the fridge is removed for a totally legitimate safety reason, the removal of it may still be a big deal to some.

Last edited by CT Disney; 07-10-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #174
Blessedwith3boys
Mouseketeer

Quote:

To be clear...I'm not saying that a potential fire hazard is less important than a fridge in the room. That would just be silly.

I'm simply saying that not having a fridge may be an issue for some families.

Put it this way, if the bed was removed from your room because it was deemed a safety issue, I bet you'd still think it was a big deal.

In other words, even if the fridge is removed for a totally legitimate safety reason, the removal of it may still be a big deal to some.
A missing bed does not have an 8.00 solution!
Old 07-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #175
CT Disney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
A missing bed does not have an 8.00 solution!
You are absolutely right...which is why I removed it from my post right after I posted it. I figured it wasn't the best example. I guess I was just trying to say that it's possible that the solution to a legitimate safety concern may still pose a really big inconvenience to some families.

Although, for $8 you could probably buy a blanket and a pillow

Old 07-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #176
Blessedwith3boys
Mouseketeer

Quote:

You are absolutely right...which is why I removed it from my post right after I posted it. I figured it wasn't the best example. I guess I was just trying to say that it's possible that the solution to a legitimate safety concern may still pose a really big inconvenience to some families.

Although, for $8 you could probably buy a blanket and a pillow
LOL! I agree it's a pain.... And I do hope the problem is resolved quickly! I just hate when people act like the world is coming to an end.... When there is a relatively easy solution!
Old 07-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #177
Patience
DIS Veteran

An $8 styrofoam cooler (that I would have to pay for) is a solution but it's an inconvenient one. We would have to order it to be delivered, fill it with ice, dump the ice when it melts, pull dripping drinks and food out of it, go get more ice, etc. Guests should be compensated for their inconvenience. If I wanted to live out of a cooler for a week, I'd go camping. I understand that Disney is concerned about guest safety and I appreciate that. But they also need to be concerned about the satisfaction and convenience of their guests. If they can't provide a previously advertised amenity due to a safety hazard, they need to figure out a way to keep their guests happy. The usual way is to comp them something small, which it sounds like they may be doing. We'll see.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #178
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran

I guess I'm still really shocked by the whole, "It's not a big deal. Deal with it. Quit complaining." attitude on here.

Yes, we can all survive without a fridge. Yes, we'll find ways to keep things cold. Yes, $8 isn't a huge expense. Etc., etc., etc.

But what about the point of paying for something and then not getting what you paid for? When I booked and paid for my room, it said there would be a fridge. Now there might not be. That's just plain wrong.

If you checked into a hotel anywhere other than Disney that said it would have a TV in the room and it didn't, would you just shrug, and say "Oh, well, no big deal."? No, you'd be calling down to the desk asking where is my TV that I paid for. If you went to a restaurant and ordered spaghetti and meatballs but they only gave you spaghetti, would you say, "Oh, that's okay, I can make some when I get home. Go ahead and charge me the same price anyway."? No, you'd want a reduction in price or a substitution.

I'm amazed at this attitude that since it's Disney and it's magical and we should all be happy just to be here, that it's okay that they don't deliver on what they advertised. I'm sorry--we work a lot of hours all year and end up spending way more money than we probably should on a vacation. They're not doing me any favors by letting me stay there--I'm paying a pretty penny for it!

All I ask is to get what I paid for. But then I guess that's just plain unreasonable at Disney.......

POP-2007, ASMo-2010, ASSp-2011, POFQ-2013, POFQ-August 2014!!!!
Old 07-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #179
Patience
DIS Veteran

I also am sitting here wondering where all the ice for all of these coolers guests will so happily be lugging with them will come from. Seems like it may run out pretty quickly...
Old 07-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #180
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

Everyone has different priorities...

For some who don't use the fridge then I absolutely agree it's no big deal. Not a big deal for me, I have ability to solve it. But it is for others because it can greatly affect their trip financially.

And Dis is a small portion of the people at these resorts expecting a fridge. For many families it is an important amenity that saves them a good bit of money. Breakfast foods and making sandwiches for a week long trip is saving a lot of money. What if you showed up not knowing, didn't plan on hundreds of dollars for that food and you had a food delivery on order coming.

Disney resort prices are climbing to a point many families really have to think if they will stay on property. Disney is competing with hotels just outside the property with free internet, fridges, microwaves, free breakfast, even two room suites for less than they charge for a value some seasons. As their prices climbed the fridges and internet became included in the prices. This wasn't planned but how they handle it is critical. For me, no fridge means they owe folks a daily credit to help offset meals they planned to cover with that fridge and owe them timely notification prior to departure date if their resort is still affected to cancel food orders and be ready for extra eating expenses.

Pre-fridge days we either rolled a mini fridge on a small luggage rack to the room or brought an xtreme cooler that ice barely melted. We like to come often and to do that we try to save for the next trip. Breakfast in our room (fruit, juice and yogurt), sandwich supplies to carry into parks so that we can eat a nice table service meal each evening. Even the times we were on dining plan the fridge was great for getting fruit and juice the night before for our breakfasts and our desserts we couldn't finish for snacking later. While the mug is a nice thought I'm not walking to the food court at 10pm when I feel like a cold soda or beer. I go to my fridge.

Coolers will be a great alternative BUT (1) most won't even know to bring or order one (2) many can't get off property to get one (3) there isn't going to be enough ice in those machines to keep every cooler iced. I can see it now, people in long lines for the ice machines hoping it doesn't run out before they get there.

Installing them is only half the problem. there aren't just 30,000 plus mini fridges sitting in a warehouse hoping to be bought. Disney had better get their thinking caps on how to handle this with care. This potentially could get ugly at the front desk
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 6x ~ PO Riverside (Dixie Landings) 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek (w/car)
POP Century 13x ~ Hilton DTD 2x
All Star Movie ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 2x ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: