Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #151
MomofTwinPrincesses
Mouseketeer

It must be something serious (like them catching on fire) for Disney to do this during the busiest time of the year. I don't believe they are trying to make everyone so upset. I want the convenience of a refrigerator (for medical reasons) but I don't want our room catching on fire because of it. I would not be happy if I showed up to check in after stopping at the store for milk only to find out that there weren't refrigerators available anymore. They should notify everyone with a reservation before they get there to keep the tempers a little lower.

I really feel sorry for the CMs that have to deal with all of the angry guests because of this. Hopefully they will get them all replaced quickly.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #152
Blessedwith3boys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareHeartsDisney View Post
Someone on this board said earlier that they called POR and was told that they will replace the fridges by July 31st.
SWEET! That solves September's issues!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #153
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Just a note to add about something I haven't seen listed yet...

I was just at WDW in both a SSR studio and a regular POR room. They both had the exact same "fridge." (I use the term "fridge' lightly, as they were really electric coolers, not true mini-fridges. No freezer section, no temp control. As a DVC member, I was not happy about this, as we usually buy a few frozen items for our villa.)

My point is - why are DVC rooms exempt from this recall if the studios have the same "fridges" as the rest of the resorts in question?! Makes no sense.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 07-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #154
prettypatchesmsu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpcotBill View Post

Ok, that is truly disgusting. We don't know what people have put in those trash cans.
Of course you want to wash it out and sanitize it first. You can use a new trash bag as a liner if desired. Anything we put in it were in their own containers. And I don't think you'd want to use the ice for drinks lol!
1992 June - Caribbean Beach Resort / Mom & Me
Old 07-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #155
DebbiePMN
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billmel View Post
This is the "chat" conversation I just had with Disney....hope it is helpful.

I only asked about compensation because it had been asked about on this thread, we are hopeful it will be done by mid September when we go, but if not we will bring a cooler...

Welcome to Disney! My name is Booh. How may I help you today?

you: Hello! We have reservations at Coronado Springs in a King preferred room in mid September. I just heard that we may not have a refrigerator in our room is this correct?

Booh: Hello!

Booh: Yes, it has just been announced today that all refrigerators will be removed due to a possible issue. They will now be limited until they are all replaced.

you: Do you have a time frame on replacement.

Booh: They said it will be a few months.

you: Will there be any compensation for not having a refrigerator? When I made the reservation a refrigerator was listed under amenities, but now checking it isn't there anymore. Not sure what to do since we were expecting to have one for perishables.

Booh: I am sure they will work fast to resolve this issue and since you are coming in September, we hope that they will be replaced. However, we have a limited number of refrigerators available by special request and you can call Disney Reservation Center at 407-560-CHAT (2428) to do so.

you: I appreciate all of your help. Thanks, hope you have a great day. I am sure you guys are getting alot of questions.

Booh: Yes. We look forward to your visit. If you have a moment, I appreciate your feedback on the survey after you close the chat window, on my level of service. Thank you for chatting with Disney. Have a Magical Day!
Thanks for posting your call! Did you call that number to see what they had to say? Let us all know if you do.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #156
Blessedwith3boys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofTwinPrincesses View Post
It must be something serious (like them catching on fire) for Disney to do this during the busiest time of the year. I don't believe they are trying to make everyone so upset. I want the convenience of a refrigerator (for medical reasons) but I don't want our room catching on fire because of it. I would not be happy if I showed up to check in after stopping at the store for milk only to find out that there weren't refrigerators available anymore. They should notify everyone with a reservation before they get there to keep the tempers a little lower.

I really feel sorry for the CMs that have to deal with all of the angry guests because of this. Hopefully they will get them all replaced quickly.
I totally agree! Give everyone reasonable notice and change out the appliance! For the sake of convenience, do we risk a hotel full of families burning down?? That would be a crisis!

And be nice to the CMs! Do you think they are enjoying this....and they have no way to speed up the process!!
Old 07-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #157
mom to minnie&mickey
Mouseketeer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Disney didn't raise the price of the values to cover the cost of putting the fridges in. So it stands to reason they won't lower the cost for the temporary removal of them either. I'm honestly more surprised they haven't offered any special discounts for rooms at the Sports!

I did just peak and Garden Grocer does have a smallish cooler for sale. So if you are ordering food for your room, I would add one of those to the order, if you can't bring your own.
We are driving down so we will bring a cooler and get by. It's just in our case (and everyone staying at All Stars) we get hit twice. I just told my dh about the food court situation a few days ago and i guess tonight we'll be having another conversation lol. Thanks for posting the info though, hope it helps others
Old 07-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #158
ktate82
DIS Veteran

While on the phone with Disney services today, I was told that if the cord to the fridge is rubber banded together, then it is not to be used and there would be a letter explaining that in the room. If that is the case, the guest can call and request a fridge for the room. If none are available, the guest can request a $15 per night credit put on the room charge.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #159
Blessedwith3boys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom to minnie&mickey View Post
We are driving down so we will bring a cooler and get by. It's just in our case (and everyone staying at All Stars) we get hit twice. I just told my dh about the food court situation a few days ago and i guess tonight we'll be having another conversation lol. Thanks for posting the info though, hope it helps others
The food court situation would bother me MUCH more than the fridges! I agree, you guys are getting hit twice! At least, you'll be at Disney!
Old 07-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #160
Blessedwith3boys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktate82 View Post
While on the phone with Disney services today, I was told that if the cord to the fridge is rubber banded together, then it is not to be used and there would be a letter explaining that in the room. If that is the case, the guest can call and request a fridge for the room. If none are available, the guest can request a $15 per night credit put on the room charge.
That's 105.00 per week....that'll pay for a few food court meals!
Old 07-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #161
Redcon1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartleby1 View Post
This!!

We had a problem at least 10 yrs ago with the fridge in our room and when maintenance came to look at it, he said that they have problems all the time with the fridges freezing up and not working properly because they are inside cabinets with no ventilation. So, why in the world would disney refurb rooms and make the same mistake again? I dont get it.

Hopefully Disney finds a way to replace them quickly. I don't see how they can possibly think it is ok to leave guests without a fridge and not telling them until they checkin. That is awful. Plus, if a whole resort does not have fridges, I would imagine the ice machines would be constantly empty from people filling coolers.
Maybe Disney's IT Department had a hand in designing the cabinets.

I wonder as a solution if Disney would consider purchasing styrofoam coolers in bulk and provide them free of charge to any guest who request them? This probably wouldn't be as expensive to the bottom line as knocking $10 off the room rate and might provide some goodwill to those inconvienenced.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #162
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

I don't know if this has been mentioned but I noticed that a lot of people said they don't like the new Rapidfill mug program and will start storing their own drinks in their room fridges. Then today...
Old 07-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #163
ktate82
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post

That's 105.00 per week....that'll pay for a few food court meals!
Yup. They said they used to charge for fridges and found it was better to put them in all the rooms and raise the price of the rooms.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #164
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post

AMEN AND AMEN!! Get over it....we can all survive by putting our milk and yogurt in a cooler for a week! I'm sure Disney hopes to get this problem fixed ASAP to keep from hearing everyones complaints!!!!!
It'd be a lot easier to get over it if we the ability to HAVE a cooler. We fly in and take DME. No car. Not really able to pack one in our luggage either. Traveling in early Aug (3 weeks from today actually) without the ability to keep drinks cold sucks. Not everyone can just "survive by putting things in a cooler for a week."
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Old 07-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #165
Dani C
DIS Veteran

It isn't so much that they are removing them, we understand the fire issues. What I don't like that they aren't notifying people. For those of us on the boards, we are aware and can plan accordingly. For those that aren't and saw that they would have the refrigerator in their room when they reserved and intend to either have food shipped or take it along with them, this could be a real issue. Ahead of time, we know to either take a cooler or arrange our plans as to not need one. Do I feel they owe us something, yes. They owe us the courtesy of advance notification.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: