Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
tweetie
Mouseketeer

Is CBR worth it over POP?

Is CBR worth 700 more than POP for two adults going in September?
tweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetie View Post
IMHO, absolutely not! In 2009, we stayed at POP and LOVED it!!!
In 2011, we happened across a free dining deal that made CBR only a couple hundred more than POP so we decided to "upgrade".

We just did not like CBR.

We did not like the size. Some people dont find the size to be an issue, but honestly, it was a 10 minute walk to the OPR to fill our mugs or grab a snack...not cool after walking all day in the parks. (and we are very active people)

It's so spread out and there are 5 bus stops internally. We did have our two young children with us so that made a difference. You might not find it as daunting with just adults.

We did not like the food court. 1/2 of it always seemed to be closed and the selection was not great.

We had Mousekeeping (or maintenance ?) issues.....whomever is supposed to take care of mold removal did not do their job.

Overall, it was just not for us. Absolutely our least favorite resort. However, there are many who like it, so YMMV.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Worth is very subjective, so hard to answer that for you. It is worth it to us because we like to have 2-3 days in our 11 day trips to just hang at CBR. If you are not planning any down time or if you consider your resort room as only a place to shower and sleep, then it most likely won't be worth it. CBR is our favorite moderate and haven't been able to bring ourselves to stay anywhere else the last couple trips. It's a wonderful resort. We love the food court, much less hectic and chaotic than Pop and better selection. The things we use/enjoy at CBR to make it worth the extra $$.

Bigger rooms
Double sinks
Hot tubs
Pool Slides
Bike Rental
Boat Rental
Table Service Restaurant
Multiple covered bus stops
Lusher landscaping
Relaxed laid back atmosphere
Old 07-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
tweetie
Mouseketeer

We do plan on down time at the resort, our trip is for 7 days and we do not want to be at the parks all the time
Old 07-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
freckles04
DIS Veteran

I would want to upgrade if I wanted resort downtime during my trip. Other than swim, walk the walking trail or walk to AoA, or play games in the arcade, there's just really not that much to do at POP as far as I could tell. Maybe someone could chime in with another activity that we did not discover.

Why CBR? Are the other moderates booked for your dates? I'd choose another mod. CBR has double beds instead of queens and just looks outdated to me. What about POR/POFQ or CSR?
MAY 1994: CBR AUG 2012: POP OCT 2013: POR JAN 2014: POP OCT 2014: POP

freckles04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
tweetie
Mouseketeer

We stayed at PORS loved it, stayed at CSR did not like it, so we thought we would try something new and a beachy theme.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetie View Post
We've never stayed at any of the values, but we loved CBR. As the pp said, worth is subjective, but for us, it would definitely be worth the extra cost to upgrade.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
mirage0306
DIS Veteran

With kids, I'd say no, don't upgrade. Without kids, I'd consider it. We did not love CBR, but part of that was the huge size, our room location (Trinidad South) and having our kids. If you decide to upgrade, I would either pay for preferred, or request something close to OPR.

JMO.

2011: WDW, Wilderness Lodge | 2012: WDW, Caribbean Beach/Boardwalk Inn CL/Animal Kingdom Lodge | 2013: WDW, Polynesian CL/Animal Kingdom Lodge CL | 2013: DLR, Candy Cane Inn

Up next: CCI/GCH, August 2014

mirage0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #9
P00H1010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1

We've never stayed at any of the values, but we loved CBR. As the pp said, worth is subjective, but for us, it would definitely be worth the extra cost to upgrade.
Agreed! I haven't stayed at Pop before but we just love CBR

July 2010: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2011: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2012: Split Stay @ Bay Lake Tower/Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
September 2013: Split Stay @ Art of Animation/Beach Club Villas

P00H1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #10
MKFan-PR
Certified MK Freak! Work is what I do for Vacation money!

We've stayed at CBR but not at POP (we will this January, and are looking forward to it!). But we did stay at AS-Mo, and liked them both. It depends on what you want to do outside of going to the parks. Like a PP poster said, if you're looking to have some down time at the resort, CBR might be a better option. Especially if it's for 2 adults. Bigger room (yes, you will notice it!), better pool area, a little more stuff to do. It IS spread out, but you can pay extra for preferred locations (Martinique or Trinidad North). If that's not an option for you, request Jamaica, which is right across from Old Port Royale (the food court) via a footbridge. Just make sure they don't put you in Trinidad South (the pirate rooms, and the farthest ones from OPR).

CBR is quite a "misunderstood" resort . Have a look at its FAQ thread in here and the pics, and you'll have an idea if you think it'll be good for you.

'73 - Offsite w/Parents * '75 - CR w/Parents * '77 - Offsite w/Parents * '83 - Offsite w/Parents * 10/94 - CBR - DW * 09/95 - Poly - DW * 11/96 - POFQ - DW * 11/97 - WL - DW * 10/99 - CSR - DW, DD * 08/02 - CBR - DW, DD * 12/03 - Poly - DW, DD * 07-08/05 - POFQ - DW, DD * 12/08 - CBR - DW, DD * 01/12 - AS-Mo DW, DD * 01/14 - POP DW, DD
MKFan-PR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #11
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

I wonder how many nights is this and will it include the free dining promotion?

It depends on how much extra you are paying per night and if you get the regular dining plan for free. I would have a hard time spending that much extra for CBR.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 6x ~ PO Riverside (Dixie Landings) 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek (w/car)
POP Century 13x ~ Hilton DTD 2x
All Star Movie ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 2x ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !

Last edited by HopperFan; 07-09-2013 at 06:07 PM.
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #12
Tink0812
Mouseketeer

We stayed at POP and absolutely loved it; however, my family never plans much downtime at the resort. We stayed at CBR once and were not so fond of it; however, there are people that swear by it. For us it was just one bad experience (dirty room, bus issues, etc.) that kind of ruined it forever.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #13
Babsy
DIS Veteran

CBR by a nose...and conditionally

I like both resorts. POP is a great value resort and the favourite value (before AoA at least) of many. CBR is also very nice, especially if you get a preferred room location or if you stay in Jamaica. There are many people that do not find CBR to be as nice as the other moderates, however. Both resorts are large. CBR does have some very distant locations with a long walk to OPR. STill, it is a moderate resort and comes with a larger room and better facilities and theming. And, if you stayed in POR and liked it you probably won't be deterred by the size.

BTW, POR is simply a nicer resort than CBR, in my opinion. If you go to CBR expecting a beachy version of POR, you may be disappointed.

Everything considered, though, if I were choosing, I would opt for CBR with a preferred room location as long as the extra $$$ were easily in the budget. I just like moderates in general better than value resorts. The extra theming and room size make the difference for me.

If the money is an issue at all, POP is great and you can use that $700 for extra spending money for the vacation. With young children, down time at the pool is often good at any resort. We found that our kids enjoyed playing in the pool at the All Star resorts as much as at some of the luxury resorts.

Either way you decide enjoy your trip.
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #14
tweetie
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the replies, I think we will stay with CBR
Old 07-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #15
Disneymommyof4
Earning My Ears

I love CBR...that's where we will be staying again May 2014
Disneymommyof4 is offline   Reply With Quote