DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
eltz1
Earning My Ears

How does disney treat resale buyers?

so I guess if you buy a DVC property staraight from Disney, they love you. We were 90 percent there last time on BLT but our financing fell through. But my question is for how they treat u if u buy on the secondary market.
Is there any differnece and if so what are they?
eltz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltz1 View Post
so I guess if you buy a DVC property staraight from Disney, they love you. We were 90 percent there last time on BLT but our financing fell through. But my question is for how they treat u if u buy on the secondary market.
You are treated no differently. You book your home resort at 11 months out, non-home resorts at seven months out. You get DVC discounts. You can call or e-mail Member Services. You are greeted the same as members who purchase direct.

All you cannot do is book non-DVC Disney trips with your points, which tend to require a lot of points.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If you buy DVC straight from Disney your salesperson loves you, because he gets a commission from the sale. Everyone else involved with Disney and DVC treats you just the same whether you purchased resale or direct. Your spouse might love you more if you buy resale because of the money you saved.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Other than what's posted above, resale buyers and direct buyers after the sale are treated the same.

What most people don't know is that the treatment during the buying process is different. Disney caters to direct buyers and creates there account, loads their points, may help them make their first reservation, and provides a team of quality assurance people to answer your questions.

Resale buyers are delayed with the ROFR process, delayed with getting their account set up, points loaded, and getting the info needed to make their first reservation. There is a member administration team but they don't want to talk to resale buyers until after they are in the system, and they will tell you so.

Direct buyers can make a reservation in 2 days, resale buyers, 65 to 75 days. This is Disney's way of taking care of the people who puts bread on the DVD's dinner table.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
crisi
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't expect LOVE from Disney even if you buy direct. There are a number of people here who believe that Disney should treat them better after making such a large purchase, or that having been trapped, Disney doesn't treat them as well as cash guests.

If you are expecting love, stick with cash - you won't get love, but some semblance of it....
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree with the others here other than the fact that there are current limitations on resale points and likely to be more in the future.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

There's one other thing that hasn't been mentioned - if you don't have at least some direct-purchased points, you can't go on a member-exclusive cruise, even though they allow you to buy the member cruises with cash.

You also aren't allowed on the member-exclusive Adventures By Disney trips, though in that case you aren't allowed to buy the trip with cash as far as I can tell, so it's a special case of the basic restrictions on resale points.

Don
dmunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunsil View Post
There's one other thing that hasn't been mentioned - if you don't have at least some direct-purchased points, you can't go on a member-exclusive cruise, even though they allow you to buy the member cruises with cash.

You also aren't allowed on the member-exclusive Adventures By Disney trips, though in that case you aren't allowed to buy the trip with cash as far as I can tell, so it's a special case of the basic restrictions on resale points.

Don
And both of those events are pretty darn expensive.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

I've talked with member services many times and they treat me wonderfully, the fact that I own only resale points has never even been mentioned.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
twinsouvenirs
Loving Double Trouble :)

related question... our first trip will be for our girls 1st bday. I know at disney resorts they have badges that are tailored to your occasion... but as a dvc guest can you receive the same badges? I only ask because I believe they sometimes get paired with cute perks or attention.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
rackle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsouvenirs View Post
related question... our first trip will be for our girls 1st bday. I know at disney resorts they have badges that are tailored to your occasion... but as a dvc guest can you receive the same badges? I only ask because I believe they sometimes get paired with cute perks or attention.
Do you mean the big buttons? If so, I'm not sure if the resorts have them but you can get them at Magic Kingdom. They have several different ones. The ones that come to mind are 1st Visit, Birthday, Anniversary and Family Reunion.
rackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
SFlaDisneyfans
Mouseketeer

We got our buttons (bday and 1st visit) at the check in desk when we stayed at the GF over Memorial Day.
SFlaDisneyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #13
JustTinking
DVC Member since 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsouvenirs View Post
When you make reservations online, one of the questions is 'are you celebrating something special?'. When we answer with 'birthday', 'anniversary', 'first visit', there are buttons waiting for us upon checkin.

JustTinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #14
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTinking View Post
When you make reservations online, one of the questions is 'are you celebrating something special?'. When we answer with 'birthday', 'anniversary', 'first visit', there are buttons waiting for us upon checkin.
It's noted on your reservation but that doesn't mean that you will get a button. Many times we have had to ask for them.

Bill

Old 07-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #15
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRegulars View Post
I've talked with member services many times and they treat me wonderfully, the fact that I own only resale points has never even been mentioned.
There is the sales arm of DVC, and the MS arm. When you buy resale you are taking money from the sales arm, that includes the executive offices, guides and all of the sales teams at every resort, park, DTD, and cruise ships. They do not like resale buyers, they don't hate you because you may someday buy direct, but they don't like you. They put on a good front.

MS is paid through our dues to service all dues paying owners. They don't have any reason not to like you. Some my feel that people who buy resale are affecting the profitability of the DVD/DVC division and it could affect their jobs but it doesn't seem to me that most feel that way.

What they don't like is online booking. Phone calls are down 40% and the number of CM's working is being adjusted.

It's no different than buying a car. If the sales person thinks you are a buyer, they are your best friend, when they find out that you are there to get your car worked on, they blow you off but the service department still services you.

Bill

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: