Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

The Great Leap into Running and DVC Ownership.

I was going to say plunge rather than leap, but plunge or dive-in both sound more like swimming. Swimming is not what we do. However running, that is what has become a focus in my life and perhaps my entire family's. So a leap, a leap is what we have decided to do.

Since our kids were all rather young we have gone to Disney at least once a year. Each trip we have declared next year we will do something different. As our older children have become adults though something strange has happened. We (specifically I) have started going more frequently than once a year. So it has been natural to consider and weigh our options. What options? DVC. With a hint of "we will do something different next" for the last couple years after visiting the notion we have decided against. This year was different. Why?

Well, not too long ago i was convinced/coerced and otherwise made to sign up for a RunDisney event. I spent time training and ran my first 10k just about a year ago. The ToT 10 miler was my first RunDisney event and I was sold. I LOVE all running events. In the time since the ToT, I have ran an event almost every month. RD races are the best though...hands down.

With my second RD event being the princess half marathon AND with my dh in tow for that race, the scales were tipped. Now my dh saw our youngest enjoy a RD event. (her second as well) and he was present to see all that the race weekend had to offer. He had been to a couple of my other races, and was coming to the conclusion that he too could be a runner. This helped to push him to see that he would like to do an event too. And so his own training began.

In March he ran his first race (a 5k while I ran a 10k) He didn't do horrible and when April came and he was the first male to cross the finish of the 5k he ran (5th overall), he was ready to commit to a half marathon in WDW.

Well, I knew I would be back for the ToT race for the next few years as well as some others RD events. We then thought about other Disney resorts outside of WDW. Could they be our "some place different"? We ran some numbers and realized that if we could purchase a DVC resale contract for the "right" amount it was now the time to do it!

So as we leap into our training for the half marathon (Steve's first and my second) and our DVC ownership, please follow along. With just about 6 months of planning to get through, I am sure there will be some changes along the way.

Next Up: The Who

Last edited by annmarieda; 07-09-2013 at 07:45 PM.
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Links

The Who
The Where and When
Changes to Where and When
ADRs
Airfare
1/8
1/9
Revised 1/9
Yet Another Revised 1/9
1/10
1/11
1/12
1/13
1/14
1/15
1/16
1/17
1/18

Recap

Purchases
Park Bag
More Bags

Last edited by annmarieda; 01-02-2014 at 12:57 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

The Who

So I will am the author of this little plan as well as the instigator of all trips we take. My name is Ann.

I find Disney a safe happy place. Just the thought makes me smile. I have no real "favorites" as what I like tends to depend on my mood. I am known to like the pirate movies... but also love old school Mickey cartoons. Princesses? Why yes, who doesn't occasionally want to be one. So you see, I would have a hard time picking a favorite. If it is Disney, it IS my favorite.

I work as an in store merchandiser. I have flexible hours, but no vacation or sick days. I am just lucky that the way that tasks run is cyclic and so I can plan to be busy 3 out of every 4 weeks. The fourth week then I can almost take off. (If I plan properly) This allows me to go on trips in some ways more easily that others since I can take more time off than some (like my dh) who have a fixed number of vacation days. That is as long as my tasks are complete. However it is harder for me than for some in that I can't "schedule" to take time off during a busy week. I can't just say "well, I want to take this week off since it is race week" I have to be flexible. It works for me though.

I have been married to my dh for about 24 years. We were high school sweethearts. So in total we have been together since 1987... you do the math lets just say forever.

So next there is Steve. Steve is like most husbands. He is a reluctant disney lover, but likes to make me happy. If pushed though, he will admit that he can not go on a Disney trip without riding IASM.

Steve suffers from a chronic autoimmune disorder. He sometimes can find himself very ill. Luckily, his condition has been in remission all of 2013. His care provider believes that running helps to keep it in check. So yay running!

Steve is a software engineer and works for a company that sends rockets into space. I don't know or understand much more about it.

We have 4 children and 2 add ons. Not everyone will be joining us, but I like to list my kids.

There are Kira and our son in law, Josh (he is one of the add ons) They have been married just over 2 years. They have known each other since they were ten since their fathers worked together. They started dating when they were 15. This year they will turn 23 on the same day. You see, they are minutes apart in age..literally born on the same date of the same year. Imagine how fun it is for them to go out on their birthday. Now sharing the same last name, they are asked if they are twins. Kira is in school to become a school teacher and works at a doggie day care. Josh works as a car salesmen. The purchased a home last year and moved out of our little town into an even smaller town near by. They will be going during the same time we are, but will not be staying with us. They also will not be dinning with us at each meal.

Next is our son Zachary and his fiance, Kimberly. They have been together now for just over a year. The both are in the military and met while in training. Kimberly's dad is also in the military and is in Zach's group. (sorry, I probably will never get the company..squad..brigade..thing all broken down right, so I just say "group" Kimberly and Zach are in the same big "group", but her dad and Zach are in a smaller "group" together. Their wedding date is not firm yet. Could be as early as next May or as late as fall in 2015. Kimberly is also in school to become a teacher. Zach works at a steel plant. Not entirely sure what he does... other than he is in management there. . Aside from school, and military, and cheer. Kimberly works at the same company I do and is in the same group as I am. (we each have our separate territories and work alone though) It is unlikely they will be coming with us.

Then there is Alex. He is my quiet, not much said or done sort of kid. He doesn't get into trouble and he rarely leaves the house. He doesn't date. He is a great big brother to Zoe and takes care of her while I am at work. He will be 18 at his next birthday. He didn't come with us on our last trip to WDW. However, since we will need someone to stay with Zoe while Steve and I run he IS going with us on this trip.

Finally, there is Zoe. She is our youngest. She is going to be in the 3rd grade this year. She is 8 years old. She has health issues, but for the most part you would never know it. (although, if you read any of my reports you are sure to hear me complain about it) She joined a dance group this year and has been performing at various functions this summer. Another activity she does is her schools running club. She of course will be going with us and she too would like to participate in race weekend. She wants to run the Mickey Mile. I am just not sure if I am comfortable her running it alone.

Next UP: The Where and When

Last edited by annmarieda; 07-10-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
momabaarjo
In Pursuit of Cupcaks & Booze, Running PHM

Whoop Whoop...I am first....

My gosh...I even learned some new things about you and your family. I did not know that both Kira and Kimberly are going to be teachers...they should not talk to me on one of my vent days! LOL Zoe is taking dance? How did I miss that one?

YAY...Alex is going!!!
momabaarjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
chunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

I'm here too!

Looking forward to keeping up with ALL your TRs and PTRs!! Yay for the DVC ownership! Hope to see you this fall!
chunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Caught it while it is still on page one!

Now going back to read!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:10 AM   #7
lilpixiebabe101
DIS Veteran

Location: Lousiana- 14 hours away from my happiest place on earth!!!

Yay caught page one as well!!!!!!
lilpixiebabe101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
swwake
RIP our sweet Magic (09/27/10)

I'm in!

Visit my travel blog: Oh, the Places We'll Go!
December 2011 PTR September 2010 Trip Report Oasis of the Seas Cruise TR Las Vegas TR
1974, 1983, 1987, 1989 off property * 1988 DL * 1989 Premiere Cruise & Disney * 1997 ASMu * 1998 CBR * 2000 DL * 2008 BC * 2010 AKL CL * 2011 Poly CL * 2013 CBR
swwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momabaarjo View Post
Whoop Whoop...I am first....

My gosh...I even learned some new things about you and your family. I did not know that both Kira and Kimberly are going to be teachers...they should not talk to me on one of my vent days! LOL Zoe is taking dance? How did I miss that one?

YAY...Alex is going!!!
Kira didn't set out to be a teacher. Her goal was vet. Then she worked at a vets office and that changed. Also being married changed things. She doesn't want to have kids and a husband and need to work holidays... or summers.

Kimberly too changed her major. She was going to be a nurse. She is a medic in the army. However, she loves kids and again... getting married means probably some kids..and summers off would be nice.

Zoe has been in a dance crew this year. She LOVES it. I LOVE that it isn't the ballet troup. The ballet studio in town is crazy serious. Zoe's instructor makes it about fun... not about being perfect. It is great.

I am excited for Alex to come. I just hope he comes out of the room a bit now and again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkymonkey View Post
Looking forward to keeping up with ALL your TRs and PTRs!! Yay for the DVC ownership! Hope to see you this fall!
So glad you are here! And thank you! DVC ownership never seemed to be the right thing. It does now though. And as for this fall, yes!!!We definitely have to figure something out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Caught it while it is still on page one!

Now going back to read!
I haven't got very far, I am afraid. I am so glad you are here though!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpixiebabe101 View Post
Yay caught page one as well!!!!!!
Yay!
Quote:
Originally Posted by swwake View Post
I'm in!
So glad to have all my princesses showing up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I'm here
yay!!!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

The Where and When

Even though it has now been a couple months since Steve and I registered for the Donald, we only recently booked a room. This put us at a disadvantage in getting a room, but we had to wait.

Why? Well, because we were purchasing a DVC contract via a resale. Here on dis there are just a few recommended agencies. I first began my journey through the main one. What I found was a tad bit of frustration. You see, things are on the rise. Prices per point are almost as high now as if you were to just buy direct. We needed a special number of points for a special amount. Each offer we made was met with a bit of "well, I suppose I could offer the seller that" We never even saw counter offers. The sellers were offered full price by someone else and took it. Things were being snatched up. I decided to question another agency about their listings. Well, I got a very early call from Sharon at Fidelity and before I knew it, she was putting together an offer for me that once awake, I had to ask "what just happened" She was AWESOME. She knew what we needed and found the right seller to make it happen for us. Fidelity is the only place that in addition to their other fees, charges and admin fee. It was more than worth it to pay!!! Not only did I get a good price per point, but she convinced the seller that since we were not able to use our contract for half the year that we should not have to pay all of the maintenance fees for the year. (even though all of the 2013 points will hit the account in December so using them prior to that would have meant borrowing any way)

The process start to finish was about 3 months, and there were moments where I was maybe a bit impatient at how fast (or slow) things were moving. It took FOREVER for our deed to record. I saw many people on dis post that their deed recorded within a day or so from when closing was done. Not ours. However, all of the interactions with fidelity and the title company were amazing. All people involved were very patient with me and willing to answer any and all of my silly questions.

However as we sat waiting to book on points, I was reading about how availability was becoming less and less. I knew this was going to be an issue for Steve. I knew that he was going to say something along the lines of "you mean to tell me I paid how much for something that I cant actually use?" And he did in fact end up saying it. However, it wasn't a total loss. I was able to book using the points I had budgeted for this trip. It just wasn't possible to get a room for the most important part of the trip - race weekend.

You may be wondering why I had not booked a regular room while waiting for the dVC transaction to be completed. Well, life has been busy and I really didn't want to call. The online system was not ready to make reservations into 2014 (until today). Once I had the DVC room booked though, I needed something for that weekend. If for no other reason than to make ADRs (in just a few days now)

So before I ramble too much more... We are staying

1/9 to 1/12

We currently are booked in a

That could change though if Kira and Josh want to stay together in a

and for our first DVC stay, we will be staying

1/12 to 1/18 at

Did I mention that OKW is our home resort? I am very excited to stay there. I booked us in a one bedroom

Next UP: ADRs

Last edited by annmarieda; 07-28-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #12
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Ann, you are going to love OKW! The space can't be beaten, your veranda will be huge (round table and 4 chairs and room to spare!

I knew about your "ordeal" of buying into DVC, but reading about it again made it no less stressful.

So glad your PTR is on the way .......
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #13
momabaarjo
In Pursuit of Cupcaks & Booze, Running PHM

The more I look at OKW the more I like it. I thought it was over by SSR...but its not...gonna have to look into next time I rent points to stay there!

How is Alex gonna like a Mermaid Room? That may be the trick of getting him out the room! Great thinking mom.
momabaarjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ann, you are going to love OKW! The space can't be beaten, your veranda will be huge (round table and 4 chairs and room to spare!
I know I had seen your pictures before of the one bedroom, but after watching youtube videos, I was sold!!! I just wish we were staying there over race weekend.

Quote:

I knew about your "ordeal" of buying into DVC, but reading about it again made it no less stressful.
I didn't mean to complain as much as I did. It really wasn't so bad and in the end seems to have been pretty easy. I did have a moment or two during the process though when I may have freaked out a bit. The seller being a non us citizen made me worry unnecessarily. There was this odd tax stuff. Basically, uncle sam couldn't tax the seller... so we get the tax burden... but the tax comes from the seller... then is deposited into our "tax account" Oh my! My head was spinning. The title company walked me through it though and it all made sense and was easy enough. Really though, other than the time it took for the deed to record and the tax issue it was easy. I did find out that the seller was a widower. It makes me sad. He and his wife owned the dvc together and it had to be noted why she was not signing on the deed transfer. I suspect that he sold because he didn't have her with him. It kinda breaks my heart. I told Steve and he said he would do exactly the same thing if something happened to me. I told him he had to let the kids use it rather than sell it. He still thought it would be too painful a reminder to continue owning it.

Quote:

So glad your PTR is on the way .......
Slowly... I need to decide meals so that I can make ADRs on Saturday!

Quote:
The more I look at OKW the more I like it. I thought it was over by SSR...but its not...gonna have to look into next time I rent points to stay there!
The thing I like about it is all the rooms (I believe) are larger than at the other resorts. The studio is the only one to have two queens instead of a queen and sofa bed. As Karin mentioned the veranda is HUGE in the one bedroom. It is not just a small table and a couple chairs. I am definitely excited about this and hope to eat a meal or two out there.

Quote:
How is Alex gonna like a Mermaid Room? That may be the trick of getting him out the room! Great thinking mom.
Yeah... I mentioned LM and he made a face. BUT he is happy to be along for the ride. He would really like to stay at AK...as would Zoe. So we will see... After all the playing around with scenarios we have done for fall, I have not been too excited to start that up with this trip. I wanted us to stay in a value oop one night. Then over race weekend in the 1bedroom and THEN switch to a different one toward the end of the trip. POFQ is always high on my wish list. It will be interesting to see where we end up.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

You will love love LOVE the OKW 1 bedroom. Are you booked at HH or non HH? I actually prefer the non as those 1B's have a different bathroom access. The HH ones everyone has to walk through the master to get in. Non HH has 2 entry points. One through the laundry room. A bit odd and confusing but better than people walking through my bedroom!

AoA would be a blast I think, I would love to stay there for a night or so but wherever you end up (with however many people it is) will be great!

Sent you a FB PM, your in box is full again
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: