Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
farmfresh
DIS Veteran

Best tips for a Xmas trip?

We're finally making a Xmas visit to DLR 13-16 December. I've been following the Christmas thread (thanks ) but wondered if others would share their own tips for how they make these trips special! Any ideas?
farmfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

We will be there at the same time. We like to make sure we watch the fireworks from the hub and again by small world (there's a light show on the building).

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
3Minnies1Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2013, 02:15 AM   #3
larina
DIS Veteran

Yes, definitely catch the fireworks from both spots.
If you like cocoa or cidar, grab a cup and find a good spot to people watch, maybe near Santa or somewhere else that will make you smile.
Bring small, easy decorations for your room. We always bring a string or two of lights, but even just window clings, which can also go on mirrors, can make the room mire festive.
larina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:08 AM   #4
momtoalovelyone
Earning My Ears

How are the crowds the second week of Dec?
momtoalovelyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #5
farmfresh
DIS Veteran

Great suggestions so far...thanks!
Old 08-28-2013, 03:38 AM   #6
Cheshirecatty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoalovelyone View Post
How are the crowds the second week of Dec?
The second week of December is a great time to go!

The crowds are lower(not jam packed like they will be the week after Christmas), you have the Parks fully decorated for the Holidays, and the weather is beautiful!
Cheshirecatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:44 AM   #7
Cheshirecatty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmfresh View Post
We're finally making a Xmas visit to DLR 13-16 December. I've been following the Christmas thread (thanks ) but wondered if others would share their own tips for how they make these trips special! Any ideas?
We love to do the Holiday Time at Disneyland Tour!

You get a fun tour of the Parks Christmas decor/traditions, quick entry into several attractions, fabulous reserved seating for the parade, Hot cocoa and a cookie, and a pin to remember it all!

Make sure you try as many of the special holiday foods/treats, the Resort offers for Christmas.

You can visit the Resort Hotels to catch a visit with Santa(in addition to his Meet and Greet in the Parks).

Watch for the Candy Cane dates, and try to get one!

These are some of our favorites!
Cheshirecatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
boiseflyfisher
I'm curious, too

Second vote for booking the Holiday Tour. It was well worth the money not to have to stake out a place for the parade. It was nice to watch the parade while sipping on hot chocolate and eating a cookie.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

I was going to suggest the Candy Canes too. Make sure you try and get the homeade (same day) ones vs the packaged ones in the stores. You have to get to the Candy Palace or Trolley Treats early to claim a batch time, so like PP said...watch for those dates.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
aidensmom31
Obsessed Disney Fan

Another nod for the Holiday Tour. It is a must for us now and we will be doing it again this year during our Christmas trip

aidensmom31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Yet another suggestion for the Holiday Tour. :P
Old 08-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
crystal1313
DIS Veteran

Gingerbread men are to DIE for! Mmmm. A new tradition for us was visiting Santa at Elias and company in DCA on Buena Vista Street. This Santa was amazing with my kids (who are a bit scared of him) and he took so much time with them, even though there was a line. It was fantastic! My kids are already asking to see Santa at DL again =)

I LOVE sitting on MSUSA and listening to the Christmas music and just taking it all in. Sounds cheesy, but it's magical. My DS5 and DS3 love it too. We like to grab a treat and sit there. Night time is even more magical.....

The fireworks are not to be missed, especially the snow. Make me all teary eyed every time.

Also, all the resort hotels have a Santa too, so you can take your photo with him in the hotels.

Christmas time at DL is blissful. You will have an amazing time!
crystal1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
dtnrhi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Minnies1Mickey
We will be there at the same time. We like to make sure we watch the fireworks from the hub and again by small world (there's a light show on the building).
We will only be there for one night, where would you recommend watching the fireworks from with only one shot at it?
dtnrhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmfresh View Post
Thanks for the Christmas Superthread? You're welcome! I've put a lot of time into it, to make it a place for information, inspiration and discussion! We have some holiday experts in that thread who will not necessarily be checking the board for other holiday-related threads to be able to answer questions, so it is never a bad idea to post questions in that thread as well.

I remember you! I remember that you posted in the older Superthread (not the current one). I'm glad to see that you finally have a trip lined up!

The tour and the candy canes have been suggested (and there is info on those on page 1 of the Superthread).

Another idea is that if it is taking place during your trip you could do the Gingerbread Workshop at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen (but dates are limited so you would have to find out the schedule).

Visit the Grand Californian Hotel lobby and take a seat by the tree, enjoying the pianist, guitarist and carolers or watching Santa pose for photos with guests.

I don't know if the following tips would help make the trip special, but they are extra things to do:

Visit each hotel and see the different decorations and Santa spots.

Get a group photo in front of the nighttime Winter Castle (when the icicle lights are on).

Decorate cookies, make crafts, meet characters and listen to Billy Hill and the Holiday Hillbillies at the Jingle Jangle Jamboree.

If you're staying onsite at one of the 3 Disney hotels, contact Vacation Planning about delivering a special Christmas stocking, tree or basket to your room.

Guess which countries or continents are represented by the wreaths in front of IASW Holiday.

Take in the unique decor and elaborate Mardi Gras masks (they all have different themes, colors and looks to them) in New Orleans Square.

Look for the hidden Mickey on the floor of the ballroom/dining hall scene in Haunted Mansion Holiday.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:42 AM   #15
farmfresh
DIS Veteran

Thanks! What great suggestions! Looks like the Holiday Tour is on the must-do list. But the list is long, so thanks for you input everyone

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: