Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
bvolleygirl
Earning My Ears

Splash Mountain & Backlot Tour Rehab?

I've heard that both Splash Mountain and the Backlot Tour at HS will both be closed during my vacation, 1/25/14-2/1/14. I called Disney, and they said that this information is not in their computers. Can any of you confirm this information?
bvolleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

I'm seeing that as well:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/rehab.htm

http://www.wdwmagic.com/refurbishments.htm

http://www.adisneyworldafterall.com/...bishments.html

Those are the typical dates that Splash is down in the winter, so it wouldn't surprise me. And I read here about a week ago that they would be closing down the Backlot Tour for refurb as well (which I hear it needs).

(not sure if I can post these links here, so please remove if necessary. If removed, OP, you can do a google search for WDW refurbishments and see them all.)
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvolleygirl View Post
I've heard that both Splash Mountain and the Backlot Tour at HS will both be closed during my vacation, 1/25/14-2/1/14. I called Disney, and they said that this information is not in their computers. Can any of you confirm this information?
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/rehab.htm
Old 10-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5jmh View Post
Thanks-- so tomorrowland speedway will be closed for a year? that's a long time-- ??? I always thought they should theme that to cars. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants now.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
SarahD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
Thanks-- so tomorrowland speedway will be closed for a year? that's a long time-- ??? I always thought they should theme that to cars. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants now.
I think it's only closed for 6 days - at least that's what I saw on the rehab site I checked.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

Yeah, it looks like it. We usually go in January or February and Splash Mountain has been closed 2 of the past 3 years. When they originally came out with the 2014 closure, it was only January but then got extended to include February and half of March. There was a thread about all of the issues because it was closed so long last year. Last year it was apparently closed to fix water leaks, etc but there are people saying there are many issues with animatronics, music not keeping to the track, etc. Hopefully, this year will get it the TLC it needs.

As for Studio Backlot Tour, that has been closed most of our trips too. Not sure if they are doing maintenance or just keeping it closed as a seasonal ride. I did notice one year that they had it opened on Sundays during its scheduled closure.......so I was going to check that option out.

Hopefully they will keep the Kali Rapids Ride in AK open since that is usually closed as well. It was scorching hot last year and would have been GREAT!! Leave the rapids please!

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
Tinkerbellebride
Earning My Ears

From what I understand the back lot tour is going away completely.
Tinkerbellebride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
themcive4
Mouseketeer

I was pretty upset when I saw they extended the Splash Mt rehab. Last year February was our 1st ever Disney trip and we just booked our return trip for the last week in Feb this year. I always hear how great Splash is and I've never been able to go on it
Old 10-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #9
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
oops--- sorry. must be my first day reading dates.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
debelle
Earning My Ears

Splash Mountain rehab is always in January. The rehab for 2014 should be normal length as it had an extensive rehab this past year.
debelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #11
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

My understanding is that Splash needs to be rehabed for some length of time every year. I saw somewhere on Dis that by Florida law it's considered a pool (something about the amount of water or something like that) and so it has to be drained and cleaned as such once a year.

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop), January 2015 (ASMo)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney

Nike+: secondaryhoney
Add me and let's run!
emilyindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
Miked0292
Mouseketeer

I would enjoy the rides on The Backlot Tour as from what I have heard and has been confirmed it is going bye bye

06/09,06/10,12/10,4/11,12/11,2/12,10/12,12/12,2/13,12/13,2/14,12/14 CL Beach Club 10/13 Carribean Beach 10/14 Yacht Club
Miked0292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #13
SoarinSC
Mouseketeer

Just curious...how does Splash perform during peak Summer? We go during Halloween and never miss out on a breakdown or a complete hours-long shutdown. Is this just a normal progression for the ride? Does it do well in Spring/Summer then continously breakdown in Fall till it's Winter rehab?
Old 11-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #14
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarinSC View Post
Just curious...how does Splash perform during peak Summer? We go during Halloween and never miss out on a breakdown or a complete hours-long shutdown. Is this just a normal progression for the ride? Does it do well in Spring/Summer then continuously breakdown in Fall till it's Winter rehab?
I think it's as good as it can be in the summer. Splash is a water ride, which are already prone to more breakdown - not only because of the fact that there are a lot of moving parts and interconnected systems, but also because of the water, frankly.

This is highly normal. Now, repeated breakdowns and the ride being shutdown most of the time is NOT normal. I've been in November, October, September, and January and only in January was I unable to ride (not because of a refurb, but because it was simply down).
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #15
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellebride View Post
From what I understand the back lot tour is going away completely.
That's still just a rumor.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: