Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
lovemy2girls4eva
Mouseketeer

GF or Poly?

Hi there!

Last Sept my family and I stayed at The Contemporary. Although we loved it, we would like to try a different resort this time. We are thinking of either the Grand Floridian or the Polynesian. We will be going next year and my kids will be 4 and 2.5! Thanks for any feedback/reviews on these 2 resorts!
lovemy2girls4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
mirage0306
DIS Veteran

I have always liked the Poly over the GF, personally. Haven't stayed at either yet but will be at the Poly later this month. Both are beautiful resorts--I would go with whatever theme appeals to you more. In our case, it's the Poly. But for some, it would be the GF.

Both are close to MK, though Poly gets a slight edge IMO, in that you can walk to the TTC to pick up the Epcot monorail and you don't have to transfer. Both have nice pools, beaches, lovely landscaping.

Which one calls to you more? I'd just go with that.

2011: WDW, Wilderness Lodge | 2012: WDW, Caribbean Beach/Boardwalk Inn CL/Animal Kingdom Lodge | 2013: WDW, Polynesian CL/Animal Kingdom Lodge CL | 2013: DLR, Candy Cane Inn

Up next: CCI/GCH, August 2014

mirage0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
Tink0812
Mouseketeer

Both are beautiful resorts! Although I haven't stayed at either of them, if I were choosing for me and I could afford it, I would stay at the Grand Floridian; however, I think your kids would enjoy the theming of the Poly better. It just seems more kid-friendly!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Both are wonderful! But my heart belongs to the Poly.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Princess Katherine
The Yeti's Girlfriend

We have stayed at both and prefer the Poly. Although the GF has some good pros too. The Poly has a better theme, and a better location to view Wishes but the GF has a quieter pool and its layout is less complicated next to the Poly's.

Katie
Old 07-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
Phelia325
Mouseketeer

My vote is for the GF. Your kids will love the new splash pad. I find the Poly pool is hard to manage with my two young kids who can't swim yet.
Phelia325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage0306 View Post
I have always liked the Poly over the GF, personally. Haven't stayed at either yet but will be at the Poly later this month. Both are beautiful resorts--I would go with whatever theme appeals to you more. In our case, it's the Poly. But for some, it would be the GF.

Both are close to MK, though Poly gets a slight edge IMO, in that you can walk to the TTC to pick up the Epcot monorail and you don't have to transfer. Both have nice pools, beaches, lovely landscaping.

Which one calls to you more? I'd just go with that.
This! We've never stayed at the GF - the theming and the resort itself just doesn't appeal to us. We've stayed at the Poly (and will be there for another trip in just over 3 weeks! ) and it's our fave of ALL the resorts - and we've stayed at Deluxe and mods. It's our kids' favorite too. I tried to talk them into CR this trip - simply for the walkability to MK, but they were NOT interested.

The Poly theming is great and you can't be access to the resort monorail AND the TTC in one resort!
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
ilovedisneyworld
Mouseketeer

Your kids would enjoy the pool at the poly. It's got great theming.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
Babsy
DIS Veteran

The Poly or GF would work great for your age kids! They are both convenient to the MK by monorail or boat. However, I think that the edge goes to the Poly. It is such a family friendly resort. The GF is also nice but 'feels' a bit more adult. You feel more relaxed and at home in the Poly, you feel more pampered and elegant in the GF. It's really an atmosphere thing, though, and depends upon how you react to the theming personally.

The Poly also has walking accss to the TTC which is great for hopping onto the Epcot monorail without taking the MK monorail first and switching to the Epcot at the TTC which you do from the GF.

One last point to consider - they are building a Polynesian Villa nearby sometime soon. Depending on when you are going and how much construction near the resort may bother you, you might want to take that into consideration.
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

The Poly is our all-time favorite but as a PP mentioned, DVC construction may be starting this year or next. Check here for info: http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/new...arting-in-2013

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #11
fabulousfive
DIS Veteran

I LOVE the GF and we feel so comfy there. The people are so friendly, the pools beautiful, and the rooms very clean! We feel it a perfect setting for our little princesses and just enhances our already-magical trips. We've been to the Poly for meals & shopping, but we prefer the GF for staying. Plus, it's great to have some of our ADRs at the resort -- again, ones that are perfect for girls. If you have boys, Poly may be a better choice.
fabulousfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
lovemy2girls4eva
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulousfive View Post
I LOVE the GF and we feel so comfy there. The people are so friendly, the pools beautiful, and the rooms very clean! We feel it a perfect setting for our little princesses and just enhances our already-magical trips. We've been to the Poly for meals & shopping, but we prefer the GF for staying. Plus, it's great to have some of our ADRs at the resort -- again, ones that are perfect for girls. If you have boys, Poly may be a better choice.
I have 2 little girls!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
lovemy2girls4eva
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone! Both are beautiful..just have to decide which one!
Old 07-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #14
LadyTrampScamp&Angel
I'm 4 resorts away from my goal of staying at every WDW resort, including DVC!

You can see a lot is personal preference - so which theme appeals to you most?
I was also going to mention that if you have girls, the GF has character meals that might appeal to them, although it's super easy to go over there from the Poly. I'd say pick the theme that appeals most to the family Both are great resorts!
Disneylandmany times CA Adventure 10/07 Seaworld CA many times Disneyland Paris7/94 USF/IOAHRH 4/01,HRH 6/06,09/08, 6/10;RPH 6/12 Seaworld FL04/08,09/08KSC4/01,6/06 Offsite DVC HHI 5/03, 10/09 WDWCBR 4/92, POFQ 8/98,Polynesian LV & Homewood Suites 12/99, ASMo 1/01,AKL 4/01,ASMo & CBR 4/02,WL & CBR 6/03,Swan 8/04,Ft Wilderness Cabins 10/05,Pop Century 6/06,Buena Vista Palace, POR 6/07; Ft. Wilderness cabin, BWV & VWL - our new home 4/08; CSR & OKW 9/08, ASMusic family suite 12/08, Ft Wilderness Cabins,AKV Kidani SV & CR MK view 7/09, BC 12/09, WL & FW Cabins 6/10, AS Sports & POFQ 4/11, SSR 6/11; POR RGR & OKW 6/12, ASSP's & CSR 6/13, Aulani 7/14 DCL Disney Magic Western Caribbean 12/09, Magic Eastern Caribbean 11/10;http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...l/preshow1.jpg DS in Star Wars Pre Show http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...emberleia1.jpg My Little Leia
LadyTrampScamp&Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #15
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyTrampScamp&Angel View Post
You can see a lot is personal preference - so which theme appeals to you most?
... Both are great resorts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulousfive View Post
I LOVE the GF and we feel so comfy there. The people are so friendly, the pools beautiful, and the rooms very clean!

Last edited by elaw; 07-09-2013 at 10:22 AM.
elaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: