Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #31
BenbowInn
Mouseketeer
 
BenbowInn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 173

Now I'm worried that I'm running my numbers wrong. For 7 days with a family style/buffet every night, 3 buffet breakfasts throughout the week and the rest counter service meals it comes out a bit cheaper OOP for 2 adults and a child, and that's figuring a snack a day although I doubt we will be getting one since two meals will leave us pretty full.

Of course we are leaving towards offsite for the first time and if we do we will not be needing the mugs, so that's not figured into our calculations.

My husband and I have ran the numbers over and over and no matter how we figure, even with an expensive character meals every night plus 3 character breakfasts, it's still cheaper OOP and that's with 10 table service meals (Sci Fi being the only non all you can eat) and 4 counter service. Now I'm wondering if we are figuring way too low?
BenbowInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #32
bdklein
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In a House
Posts: 1,862

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenbowInn View Post
My husband and I have ran the numbers over and over and no matter how we figure, even with an expensive character meals every night plus 3 character breakfasts, it's still cheaper OOP and that's with 10 table service meals (Sci Fi being the only non all you can eat) and 4 counter service. Now I'm wondering if we are figuring way too low?
My limited experience says the more kids, the better the chance for getting value from the DDP. So 1 kid just ain't enough.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #33
sharonabe
DIS Veteran
 
sharonabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,972

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenbowInn View Post
Now I'm worried that I'm running my numbers wrong. For 7 days with a family style/buffet every night, 3 buffet breakfasts throughout the week and the rest counter service meals it comes out a bit cheaper OOP for 2 adults and a child, and that's figuring a snack a day although I doubt we will be getting one since two meals will leave us pretty full.

Of course we are leaving towards offsite for the first time and if we do we will not be needing the mugs, so that's not figured into our calculations.

My husband and I have ran the numbers over and over and no matter how we figure, even with an expensive character meals every night plus 3 character breakfasts, it's still cheaper OOP and that's with 10 table service meals (Sci Fi being the only non all you can eat) and 4 counter service. Now I'm wondering if we are figuring way too low?
While allearsnet is usually pretty good for pricing, right now, I would use this thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3108466

Other than having only 1 child, the fact that you're doing more TS than the DDP allows is the other reason you're finding OOP better. Those extra TS meals will probably mean fewer QS too which you would have leftover if on the DDP.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #34
sharonabe
DIS Veteran
 
sharonabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,972

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadotbikini View Post
Yes we are paying out of pocket for the first 6 days. My husband is also active duty so we are hoping that we are still allowed to book a room only and add the dining plan for this coming year like previous years because if not then we won't be doing it. I don't want the expense of having to buy two separate sets of tickets. We have only done the DDP one time in July because we had a pin for free dining and my husband hated it. So not sure I can talk him into it this time no matter how significant the savings may be.
Since you are paying OOP for the first half, and you are military and don't have to buy tickets, I was going to suggest doing the DDP for the 2nd half just so you can do some of the higher priced places. BUT, if DH isn't crazy about it, perhaps it's not worth it. As it is right now, you're not really saving that much. Why did he not like it the last time?
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #35
zy144622
Mouseketeer
 
zy144622's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaykool101 View Post
If you are going to feel "locked" in by the plan. Then it is not a good choice for you and that is fine. I personally feel "freed" by the plan, because I know I can order what I want. I don't have to split a meal. I don't have to share a dessert. I don't have to compromise and get the chicken because it is cheaper than the beef.

Plenty of people can do this with a gift card or simply a budget. I cannot. If I put the same money on a gift card, I would feel "locked" into trying to keep cost down at meals, so that I could spend money on something else. I would try to share and compromise and be cheap. It is just who I am. I like all inclusive vacations because they give me a chance to be free and not worry about the money I am spending on food.

My point is, for every "con" to the dining plan there is also a "pro" for someone else. So there is no right or wrong answer. Try the dining plan. If you like it yay, if you don't, then don't get it next time. No shame either way.

I will say the snacks are super nice. I would never spend money on park snacks, but getting snack credits is awesome!!!
This is exactly why our family chooses the DDP. Buffets are easier to find something for everyone. We also have a child under 3 who eats free at the buffets. Convenience of being able to get healthy choices at each meal is worth it for us. Salad and fruit are always an option plus a small portion of something great. Both kids DD5 DS2 love character meals which makes meal time much more enjoyable. We really enjoy all aspects of the dining plan. We even plan to use our last CS before getting on ME. We eat this meal as soon as we get to the airport. Gives kids something to pass the 2hour wait and we don't pay airport food prices.
zy144622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #36
havoc315
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,968

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistGrl101 View Post
I completely understand what you guys are saying, and we are not big dessert eaters, and we do love our apps...BUT we have mostly buffets if you look at my itinerary. That's really the reason I thought sticking to DDP would be best.
We sound like a bunch of fat slobs, but we are the complete opposite haha.
As far as CS goes though, we could all do without a dessert...
BTW this is my 2014 trip, so if DDP gets modified in any way my decision might change.
And looking at the 2014 pricing, your minimal savings are probably gone.

While restaurant prices may also rise in 2014, historically, the DDP price rises much faster than the restaurant prices. In 4 years, the DDP has gone up about 50%. The restaurants don't raise their prices anywhere near as fast.

Now I saw you express the concern that you're afraid you will order extra things without the DDP. I can't speak for your family, but the opposite is more likely to be true -- You already stated you can live without dessert.

Being on the DDP -- at least for me -- I feel obligated to use every entitlement. After all, if I don't use it, I'm losing money. If I skip a couple of desserts, if god forbid I'm stuffed and choose to cancel and ADR -- then suddenly I've lost a significant amount of money on the DDP.

By my math, with 2013-2014 pricing of the dining plan, even without knowing exactly what I'm ordering --- I know that it is most likely that OOP is cheaper than DDP . I know that if my family feels sudden gluttony, suddenly wanting a ton of desserts and suddenly wanting steak at every meal, then at most -- the DDP may save me 5%. And I know if we're not super hungry, OOP will cost about 30%-50% less than the dining plan. Typically, we would fall between these 2 extremes.. with OOP being 10-20% less than the DDP.

For me, it's not worth getting the dining plan, just for the small possibility that it might save me 5%... when it most likely would cost us an additional 10-20%.

It's not as if the plan is super convenient... You still end up having to carry money to pay for tips. It doesn't necessarily cover everything, requiring OOP expenses anyway. And you need to consciously keep count of all your credits, etc. It is much more convenient to eat what you want, when you want, without worrying about credit budgets.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #37
polkadotbikini
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe View Post
Since you are paying OOP for the first half, and you are military and don't have to buy tickets, I was going to suggest doing the DDP for the 2nd half just so you can do some of the higher priced places. BUT, if DH isn't crazy about it, perhaps it's not worth it. As it is right now, you're not really saving that much. Why did he not like it the last time?
Oh we have to buy tickets I just want to be able to buy a 10 day Park Hopper/Water Park ticket and not 2 five day tickets. He wasn't thrilled with it last time because he felt like all we did the entire trip was eat and that our trip revolved around our dinner reservation. Thank you for helping me.
polkadotbikini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #38
DJFan88
DIS Veteran
 
DJFan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 1,293

I've done both and have merits on both sides. Thanks for a great post where everyone has differing opinions and yet expressed them without being mean to the other. I haven't decided what I'm doing yet for my next trip yet. I have to decide which meals I know we want and then crunch numbers. We don't eat a lot and OOP went great for us - esp. at POR with it's awesome food court and make your owns. However, DH did love when we had FD and went to the excellent meals. I think we're leaning towards a few good TS meals and OOP or getting the gift cards, but of course it it's FD then Yeah! But would also like room discount, so yeah, number crunching!
__________________

-----------------------------------------------------------
1997 - off property 1999 - Caribbean
2009 - Caribbean 2010 - Coronado
2012 - POR 2014 - POR/YC
DJFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #39
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 328

Every TS restaurant I went to, the question of "Are you using a Disney Dining plan?" was asked. When I replied, "No," there was a subtle look of relief on the waiter/waitress' face. I asked them about their reaction and it was basically because they didn't have to explain to me why something wasn't covered by the plan or why I couldn't use credit X for item Y. OOP is definitely more convenient for the customer and staff.

I skipped dessert at Le Cellier because I wanted to try the ice cream in the French section. Couldn't have done that on any of the DDPs. (For the record, I would have enjoyed the maple creme brulle at Le Cellier way more than the ice cream with grand marnier...but that's a different topic.)
Jonathan Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #40
lucyem
DIS Veteran
 
lucyem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,978

[QUOTE=nugov2;48927610 vacation for 10 days by day 4 I was ready for minimal food. Plus I was hot and had little appetite so at lunch the adults ate very little, but drank a lot of water. So keep that in mind. My dad actually ordered a turkey goldfish sandwich kids meal at a CS restaurant for dinner in the MK because he couldn't eat anymore heavy foods(I don't even know if technically that's legal) As far as eating dessert, I normally consider that a must if we eat out, but not when eating out for that long. [/QUOTE]

I do not think many people take this into consideration. I have heard it more then once by DVC people who visit WDW a lot. For a lot of people, the first few days, it is really easy to eat the DDP but after a few days it gets harder to eat that much rich food. Add in the heat/humidity and it can get even harder. I have seen people on the DDP at the end of their trip leave a TS meal having eaten practically nothing.

I do take the above into account because I know it is so true for us. We pick a couple of restaurants we love and space them out over our trip. That way we can enjoy them all. In between we eat very lightly whether in the room or at CS. Needless to say the DDP does not work for us. But that 11 yr old Disney adult who barely eats a kids meal would kill it for us anyway
__________________
lucyem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #41
sunshine girl
DIS Veteran
 
sunshine girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Once a Floridian, always a Floridian (but currently elsewhere)
Posts: 1,046

Sorry if I missed this in the thread, but are you all factoring in the tip $$ as part of the calculations? At sit-down restaurants, you still have to pay the tip, calculated from the full price of your selected menu items, when you are on the dining plan. The tip is not included in the pre-paid price, you pay it after the meal.

Just wondering!! I'm sure this is not news.

Edit - oh wait, I see this is pre-trip planning not post-trip comparing your bottom line on receipts to the dining plan. Got it! Was reading too quickly!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________

Last edited by sunshine girl; 07-19-2013 at 09:30 AM.
sunshine girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #42
DJFan88
DIS Veteran
 
DJFan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 1,293

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine girl View Post
Sorry if I missed this in the thread, but are you all factoring in the tip $$ as part of the calculations? At sit-down restaurants, you still have to pay the tip, calculated from the full price of your selected menu items, when you are on the dining plan. The tip is not included in the pre-paid price, you pay it after the meal.

Just wondering!! I'm sure this is not news.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
I think they are just ignoring that part for calculations because you would have to pay it either way. However, I think it could play into the equation if you are someone who would order less at your table service meals if you are OOP (like not getting dessert,). So, I guess you just have to factor that in if you think you would order differently under the plan from OOP.
__________________

-----------------------------------------------------------
1997 - off property 1999 - Caribbean
2009 - Caribbean 2010 - Coronado
2012 - POR 2014 - POR/YC
DJFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #43
sunshine girl
DIS Veteran
 
sunshine girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Once a Floridian, always a Floridian (but currently elsewhere)
Posts: 1,046

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFan88 View Post
I think they are just ignoring that part for calculations because you would have to pay it either way. However, I think it could play into the equation if you are someone who would order less at your table service meals if you are OOP (like not getting dessert,). So, I guess you just have to factor that in if you think you would order differently under the plan from OOP.
Yes that makes sense! I was misreading what the OP said, I thought he was comparing the total cost of food after the trip was over (i.e., looking at the bottom line on his receipts, which might have included the tip amount in the total). But I see he is doing pre-trip calculations!

Thanks!
__________________
sunshine girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #44
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran
 
MHSweb79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 3,924

We stopped doing the DP when my DD went off to college and it was just the two of us. It was great when we WANTED to do 1 TS and 1 CS meal a day (including character breakfasts at least 2-3 times) but now we don't do more than 1 or 2 TS meals during a typical week's visit. Even back then it was too much food - who needs dessert at lunch AND dinner, plus a snack during the day? Especially if your TS meal was a buffet.

So for us taking a room discount is usually a much better deal than getting the DP, even if it's "free."

I think including the cost of tips in "doing the math" is wise because without the plan, we would eat many more CS meals than TS meals. So tips do generate additional cost.

If and when we ever have grandchildren who love character meals, we'll probably start using the DP again.
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #45
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhammonds View Post
Just as you outlined, I totally believe the cost of getting the DDP is justified! I have 4 main reasons that I outlined in my review!! Read more here:
http://****************************.c...ing-plans.html
Your review is specious. When you say, "built in snacks," it really means, "you're being FORCED to buy snacks." When you say, "dessert and drink with every meal," it really means, "dessert and drink with every meal whether you want it or not." You're not getting those things for free. You're paying for them. In fact, you're essentially OBLIGATED to buy them lest the whole thing becomes financially unfavorable.
Jonathan Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.