Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #16
TwistGrl101
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe View Post
The only possible problem I see with opting for the DDP is your QS credits. With all those buffets and TS meals, I'm wondering if you'll really want to eat a 3rd meal every day. I expect you'll have several QS meals left over which would then make OOP a better option.
Plus we don't eat dessert and only drink water. But we wouldn't really save much going OOP. I don't know why I'm stressing so much over this!
TwistGrl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #17
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistGrl101 View Post
Plus we don't eat dessert and only drink water. But we wouldn't really save much going OOP. I don't know why I'm stressing so much over this!
It's ok. Just do what is best for your family. If it will be less stressful for you by doing the DDP even if you just break even or spend a little more (say $100) then go with the plan and have a stress free vacation. If you won't stress out when the kids ask for the lobster and won't be keeping tabs on every penny spent on ice cream bars then don't go with the plan. However you can get a bottle of water with your meal instead of soda.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #18
polkadotbikini
Earning My Ears

I am in the process of crunching numbers and my head is spinning.
Doing this does make me glad that I am not an accountant.
Does anyone yet know if the 2014 plan will have the same offering as this year?
polkadotbikini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #19
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadotbikini View Post
Doing this does make me glad that I am not an accountant.
Does anyone yet know if the 2014 plan will have the same offering as this year?
So far it looks like the same offerings, but higher prices. There's another thread with the new pricing in it on this forum.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #20
witchesbrew
Substitute Teacher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaykool101 View Post
Plenty of people can do this with a gift card or simply a budget. I cannot. If I put the same money on a gift card, I would feel "locked" into trying to keep cost down at meals, so that I could spend money on something else. I would try to share and compromise and be cheap. It is just who I am. I like all inclusive vacations because they give me a chance to be free and not worry about the money I am spending on food.

I completely agree because I am the EXACT same way! I'd just prefer to know it's already paid for and not worry about it. Plus my DD loves the snack credits and the mugs (even though we have like 20 at home now! )
Old 07-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #21
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:

So far it looks like the same offerings, but higher prices. There's another thread with the new pricing in it on this forum.
That's a pleasant surprise. I expected a price increase and a reduction in the offering.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #22
vicb224
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchesbrew View Post

I completely agree because I am the EXACT same way! I'd just prefer to know it's already paid for and not worry about it. Plus my DD loves the snack credits and the mugs (even though we have like 20 at home now! )
Agree also.. Even if I had more than enough on a gift card to pay for the meals, I'd still be stressing over each dessert or expensive meal ordered- thinking "if I didn't have that I could have gotten "another" souvenir to take home"!!
vicb224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #23
buckeev
RedNeck Mouseketeer

Quote:
Doing this does make me glad that I am not an accountant.....
It could be worse...you could be MARRIED to an accountant!

Don't stress it TwistyGirl.....it looks like you have a great grasp on the things that y'all are looking forward to! Like your family, we're usually 5 or more and we do a significant number of character meals for our Autistic son, and those are crazy expensive. In our scenario, we are quite comfortable going with the DDP. I still carry a number of Disney Gift cards with me for a few OOP meals, tips, and various other purchases/expenses.
Best of luck!
Old 07-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #24
polkadotbikini
Earning My Ears

Ok so let me guys a question? When are you doing this do you just figure in the price of the TS meals you are wanting to do and then an average on what you may spend each day on food and snacks? That is kind of what I did and it made the DDP about 20 dollars less.
Garden Grill- 131.92
Crystal Palace 138.19
Fantasmic Dinner Package 110.96

Then 800 dollars for 6 days for 2 adults and 2 kids. Total price 1181.07 and the dining plan was 1169.16.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #25
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok so let me guys a question? When are you doing this do you just figure in the price of the TS meals you are wanting to do and then an average on what you may spend each day on food and snacks? That is kind of what I did and it made the DDP about 20 dollars less.
Garden Grill- 131.92
Crystal Palace 138.19
Fantasmic Dinner Package 110.96

Then 800 dollars for 6 days for 2 adults and 2 kids. Total price 1181.07 and the dining plan was 1169.16.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Where are you getting your prices? allearsnet has Garden Grill at $37.27 adult and $18.10 child for non peak. That would only be $110.74 (tax is already included in these prices)
Crystal Palace (assuming dinner) is $39.40 and $19.99 which would be $118.78

As for QS, it depends on what you want. Entrees for adults are on average $12 and drinks $3 and kids meals are $6 which includes their drink. So, 6 days would be 12 meals (not doing breakfast yet) and 3 of those are your TS, so 9 meals x $42 would be about $380.

Breakfast can be stuff you bring from home or as little as $3 for a quick pastry or $10 for a big breakfast platter. Since the DDP only includes two meals per day, will leave breakfast out of the equation.

Snacks are on average $4. So, you have four people, six days, so 16 x 6 is about $100. We now have a total of $480 for your six days, not your $800.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #26
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnheather View Post
It's ok. Just do what is best for your family. If it will be less stressful for you by doing the DDP even if you just break even or spend a little more (say $100) then go with the plan and have a stress free vacation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeev View Post
Don't stress it TwistyGirl.....it looks like you have a great grasp on the things that y'all are looking forward to!
I agree with both posts . The DDP works for some, but not others and for whatever reason YOU want the DDP is a good enough reason for you to do it. Some people don't like the DDP and will never get it, while others won't go to Disney without it, regardless of whether they save money, break even, or spend a little more. Everyone vacations differently, so I would go with what works for YOUR FAMILY and not worry about others telling you it's not a good idea. Have a great trip .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #27
nugov2
DIS Veteran

I can see the stress free feeling from the DDP, but I will say after just getting back that after being on vacation for 10 days by day 4 I was ready for minimal food. Plus I was hot and had little appetite so at lunch the adults ate very little, but drank a lot of water. So keep that in mind. My dad actually ordered a turkey goldfish sandwich kids meal at a CS restaurant for dinner in the MK because he couldn't eat anymore heavy foods(I don't even know if technically that's legal) As far as eating dessert, I normally consider that a must if we eat out, but not when eating out for that long. I also typically budget food with the highest priced items so that my food budget is high and we always have a lot left over. Then you don't have to worry about taking from another area of your budget.
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #28
polkadotbikini
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Where are you getting your prices? allearsnet has Garden Grill at $37.27 adult and $18.10 child for non peak. That would only be $110.74 (tax is already included in these prices)
Crystal Palace (assuming dinner) is $39.40 and $19.99 which would be $118.78

As for QS, it depends on what you want. Entrees for adults are on average $12 and drinks $3 and kids meals are $6 which includes their drink. So, 6 days would be 12 meals (not doing breakfast yet) and 3 of those are your TS, so 9 meals x $42 would be about $380.

Breakfast can be stuff you bring from home or as little as $3 for a quick pastry or $10 for a big breakfast platter. Since the DDP only includes two meals per day, will leave breakfast out of the equation.

Snacks are on average $4. So, you have four people, six days, so 16 x 6 is about $100. We now have a total of $480 for your six days, not your $800.
One of my kids is will be 12 at the time of the trip so I guess I should have stated that. Thanks for breaking it down for me though because now I have an idea on how to do this more efficiently. Would you mind if when I redo it if I posted and you could briefly look over it for me? We are actually going to be there for 12 days but the first six we are staying gin a 3 bedroom villa with my parents at OKW so I am trying to make this trip a little more budget friendly since we will be there so long.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #29
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
One of my kids is will be 12 at the time of the trip so I guess I should have stated that. Thanks for breaking it down for me though because now I have an idea on how to do this more efficiently. Would you mind if when I redo it if I posted and you could briefly look over it for me? We are actually going to be there for 12 days but the first six we are staying gin a 3 bedroom villa with my parents at OKW so I am trying to make this trip a little more budget friendly since we will be there so long.
I assume the first six days you'll be paying OOP since you're in the villa. The problem you're going to have in doing the DDP for the last six is tickets. Unless you're staying somewhere with DVC points or you're military, you have to buy 1-day tickets for everyone in your party in order to get the DDP. The DDP must be a part of a package. You can always save those tickets for a future trip.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #30
polkadotbikini
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I assume the first six days you'll be paying OOP since you're in the villa. The problem you're going to have in doing the DDP for the last six is tickets. Unless you're staying somewhere with DVC points or you're military, you have to buy 1-day tickets for everyone in your party in order to get the DDP. The DDP must be a part of a package. You can always save those tickets for a future trip.
Yes we are paying out of pocket for the first 6 days. My husband is also active duty so we are hoping that we are still allowed to book a room only and add the dining plan for this coming year like previous years because if not then we won't be doing it. I don't want the expense of having to buy two separate sets of tickets. We have only done the DDP one time in July because we had a pin for free dining and my husband hated it. So not sure I can talk him into it this time no matter how significant the savings may be.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: