DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 01:16 AM   #16
moran66
Mouseketeer

Someone said you may be ready in the future I agree with that statement. What I would do if I were you is the next couple of times you come to Disney is try to rent points a few times (BLT BWV AKL) and you will have a better idea if DVC is right for you.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #17
z28wiz
WDW ROCKS
With all the clapping going on, the TF hopes that z28wiz doesn't have "clapper" lamps in his house!!!!!

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDenis View Post
Just to be a Devil's Advocate. Many DVC owners bought more on emotion than financial analysis.

I think that a single 100 point contract at BWV or BCV would work for you. You could get it for about $7200 + or - $200 including closing costs. BWV Standard View Studios go for as low as 10 points a night during the week. You could bank unused points to the following year or borrow for higher point rooms. At BWV you can rent ECVs to get around WDW.

From BWV or BCV EPCOT is about a 5-10 min walk and DHS is about 20, but with the ECV it is a breeze. I got an ECV at each park for my wife (65) this past March and it was money well spent. The buses have room for 2 ECV's each, but you may just want to return your ECV and rent at MK and AK.

Membership fees will be a little under $6 per point this coming Dec, but if you get a "loaded" contract, you could rent "extra" points painlessly to David's at $11 per point and have money for your first DVC bill in Dec or just lower the cost of your purchase.
Only downfall with those two resorts is that they expire in 29 years. The poster is 23 and his wife is 21. So they would only be 50 at the expiration.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
CBR-7/02, POR-5/03,DCL WONDER 5/6/04-5/9/04, CBR 5/9/04-5/16/04, CORONADO SPRINGS 4/4/05-4/9/05 (HONEYMOON), WL- 4/9/05-4/16/05(HONEYMOON), CBR-12/2/05-12/10/05, WL-3/30/06-4/6/06, DL PARADISE PIER-6/13/08-6/17/08
HHI 4/29/10-5/1/10, AKLV 05/01/10-05/08/10 (Boys first trip), SSR 12/4/10-12/10/10, WLV 4/22-4/28/11 & DCL DREAM 4/28/11-5/1/11, HHI 8/22-8/28/11
ART OF ANIMATION 1/21-1/22 DCL DREAM 1/22-1/26/12 & BLT 1/26-1/29/12.DCL MAGIC 6/15/12-6/17 DCL DREAM 8/5/12-8/10/12, BCV 10/3/12-10/9/12 DCL FANTASY 01/19/13-01/26/13, WLV 8/2-8/8/13, DCL DREAM 8/8-8/11/13 BWV 10/2013 VGF 2/9-2/10/14 DISNEY MAGIC 2/10-2/14/14 DISNEY MAGIC 2/14-2/17/14, VERO BEACH 7/2-7/7/14, SSR 7/7-7/11/14 BWV 10/8-10/12/14, VGF 2/10-2/13/15 DISNEY DREAM 2/13-2/16/15

z28wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #18
a742246
older than dirt

My opinion, like others have said, is to wait a few short years. When you are ready to buy pay cash for a smaller contract first and build from there (if you are still interested).
Other options you can do now is to buy another timeshare for dirt cheap and trade into DVC. I do not have experience with doing this but Dean is an expert on this topic. You may want to ask him how it is done.

Last edited by a742246; 07-10-2013 at 08:57 AM.
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #19
nalajms
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28wiz View Post
Only downfall with those two resorts is that they expire in 29 years. The poster is 23 and his wife is 21. So they would only be 50 at the expiration.
I wouldn't put too much weight on expiration. If you love BWV and only want to stay there but buy at SSR for the extra years, where are you going to stay when BWV expires? I'm guessing Disney won't be opening inventory to let DVC stay there. 29 years is still a long time. By then, you'll probably have bought other DVC or timeshares.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #20
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWA2 View Post
There have been some really good replies already, so I'll just try to inject my opinions in this.

1. You go or will go enough, which is a factor in buying DVC. But how was AoA compared to the Deluxe resorts that you've stayed at. Do you find it comparable for yourself and your wife? Some people treat a hotel as a place to sleep at night only, others treat the hotel stay as a part of the vacation as well.

2. WDW is big, I believe at any DVC, will require some walking, waiting, transportation riding and moving. Unless you only want to go to MK or Epcot/DHS, you'll have some wait times and walking.

3. I'm a big believer in not financing. If you have to finance, why not finance it yourself. Save the payments for a few years, then eventually you'll have enough. Or if you have enough for a smaller contract, buy that, instead of the big one. Don't take a HELOC, even if you have equity on your home. You will want to ask your financial adviser on this, as no one can make a financial decision for your, except yourself.

4. If you want to buy now but you can only afford a smaller contract, buy the small contract, straight up with cash. Then as you save more, you can add on. (see #3) Maybe you can buy smaller ones at BLT and at BWV/BCV, this would give you "easier" access to 3 parks vs if you bought a big contract at 1, you only have the 11 month advantage at 1 DVC location. Too small and the closing costs will eat up your advantage. Like 3 30 point contracts at 1 location may not be the smartest thing. If you know you want to stay ~14 nights a year, a few 100 point contracts may be a better option, than 10 30 point contracts.

5. If you are ok with AoA, stay there for now, save your money, until you can buy a resale DVC outright with cash. Your knees are better now, than later, so take advantage of your healthier knees and no kids for now. DVC isn't going away. There are rumors floating of a Poly DVC and you said you liked Poly hotel.
I agree with 'financing' yourself. Take the 'payment' and save it until you have enough to pay for this commitment outright.

That way, if you do run into 'trouble' you are not defaulting on a real loan.

Don't forget that when you do purchase, even when you pay outright, you have maintenance fees that have to be paid yearly. Depending on how many points you purchase, this bill could run you in the thousands, every year.

DVC, may in the future, save you money on accommodations but it will make you spend more overall on vacations.

Disney is our 'thing' too (most on these boards would also agree ) We too, took our honeymoon at Disney (for us Disneyland) when we were 24, now we are 44. So I understand your eagerness. But don't forget you can go to Disney without DVC. We did for many years and still occasionally do when we run out of points. I just wouldn't saddle myself to any debt that wasn't necessary; with the concept that a permanent place to live and a mode of transportation may be necessary but a 'luxury' vacation timeshare is not.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #21
crisi
DIS Veteran

You are really young - what are your "non-Disney" life plans.

Kids? If you have kids will you go from two incomes to one? With kids what are your hopes for them - college? Kid get to be expensive.

Career advancement? - will that mean grad school? Or relocation overseas? Will career advancement mean that you might be in the position of cancelling vacations because "I can't take time off, its a crunch, and if I want that promotion...."?

Anything else?

Look at your whole life picture and make sure that the commitment that DVC brings is going to fit. If you can't plan in advance because you might be deployed, or you might be taking a job in Switzerland and using your vacation time to visit family stateside - it can get hard. Or if you can afford DVC now, but its going to be a big stretch with daycare expenses and investing in a 529 and paying ice time for hockey - it might not be the best long term decision.

People's lives change a lot - at at 21 and 23 you'll likely see a lot of change in the next decade or fifteen years.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #22
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post

Kids? If you have kids will you go from two incomes to one? With kids what are your hopes for them - college? Kid get to be expensive.

Career advancement? - will that mean grad school? Or relocation overseas? Will career advancement mean that you might be in the position of cancelling vacations because "I can't take time off, its a crunch, and if I want that promotion...."?

Anything else?

Look at your whole life picture and make sure that the commitment that DVC brings is going to fit. If you can't plan in advance because you might be deployed, or you might be taking a job in Switzerland and using your vacation time to visit family stateside - it can get hard. Or if you can afford DVC now, but its going to be a big stretch with daycare expenses and investing in a 529 and paying ice time for hockey - it might not be the best long term decision.

People's lives change a lot - at at 21 and 23 you'll likely see a lot of change in the next decade or fifteen years.
LOL about the ice time for hockey......so true!
Old 07-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #23
jerseyduke
Mouseketeer

As for financing.....

My take on whether to finance anything (excluding a house) is simple....can I make or save money by taking out a loan?

Be 100% honest with yourself and do the following:

1. Calculate how much interest you will pay on the loan. (based on principle, time to repay, and rate).

to this number add the maintenance fees based on the number of points.

This is what your "accommodations" cost until your loan is paid off with dvc

2. Calculate how much you will pay for accommodations with cash at the world in that time (based on where you would stay if you DID NOT have a DVC membership)

if #1 < # 2 then financing is not a bad move from the numbers point of view.

Just make sure that the # of points you use gives you the same number of nights that you use for #2

That just leaves the question, is DVC right for you in general? lol

I just bought VGF, and I did finance, however I did not finance through DVC, I got a much more pleasant rate from somewhere else, and it is for a shorter term.

The interest I will pay on the loan is about 1000$ I was already planning on the GF this december (cash), which would have been about 4,000 for the room.
Since my alternative was to buy next year, even at 10 percent over a few years, it would have been cheaper for me to finance.
2012 - Poly/PO-RS
2013 - VGF&WL
2014 - AKL & OKW
2014 - Coronado Springs & AKV
jerseyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #24
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Anything else?

These are all great points, which is why I continually advocate for getting in at the lowest price possible. Typically this not only involves buying resale, but negotiating a good price and finding a contract with banked points. Granted, this is harder to do nowadays, but it is still possible. So should the OP's situation change in 5 years, they will most likely be able to get out with most, if not all, if not more money than they originally spent.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #25
Son of Gadsden
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.

Quote:

Anything else?

As for non-disney vacations, I was fortunate enough to have traveled a lot with my parents when I was younger. I can't think of anywhere I'd really like to go that DVC would really interfere with going to.

As for a career, I've already gotten my double major in my trade of choice, and have an excellent job as a division supervisor for the most established company in VA in my career of choice. Could that change? Of course it could. The world could also end tomorrow.

With that job, I'm secured in my hometown, and I moved away to California at one point, and I came straight back with no intent to leave again. Especially since our house is halfway paid off. When that's paid off in about 15 years, DVC will look a whole lot better.

I know how much life can change at a young age as well as anyone. 7 years ago I would have said I'd be living in LA racing MX for a living. Now I'm working construction, married, tied down, and trying to stay out of a wheelchair. That's not just young people. Anyone's life can change in a period of time as long as these contracts. Lol. This is why I've come here asking what those who are in DVC have to say about it. Chances are I'll wait, as I said. It doesn't seem like its something for me yet. Might look into getting a small contract at Boardwalk or something in a few years.

Poly- '92, '94,'98, '00, '11, '12,
POR- 10'
AoA- April '13, Dec '13
Pop- Dec '13, Apr '14
CSR- '13

Last edited by Son of Gadsden; 07-10-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Son of Gadsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #26
crisi
DIS Veteran

It sounds like you are doing well. There are lot of young couples who buy in because they want to share their love of Disney with the kids they don't have yet. And when those kids are born its $1600 a month in daycare bills or one lost income. And suddenly the kids aren't lap babies and its airfare for four. And then they are ten and its four adult tickets.

Or they buy in because they love Disney, but they sort of forgot that medical residency was going to eat up time and possibly put them in the other end of the country.

DVC is no fun if Disney becomes a burden you need to meet rather than something you look forward to.

As ELMC said, buying an affordable contract can lower your exposure, but I think the bigger deal is once you are in you have an emotional investment into staying in - even if it no longer makes the most financial sense.

The best DVC advice is "know yourself." Its probably just the best all around advice.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #27
DisneyDenis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
It sounds like you are doing well. There are lot of young couples who buy in because they want to share their love of Disney with the kids they don't have yet. And when those kids are born its $1600 a month in daycare bills or one lost income. And suddenly the kids aren't lap babies and its airfare for four. And then they are ten and its four adult tickets.

Or they buy in because they love Disney, but they sort of forgot that medical residency was going to eat up time and possibly put them in the other end of the country.

DVC is no fun if Disney becomes a burden you need to meet rather than something you look forward to.

As ELMC said, buying an affordable contract can lower your exposure, but I think the bigger deal is once you are in you have an emotional investment into staying in - even if it no longer makes the most financial sense.

The best DVC advice is "know yourself." Its probably just the best all around advice.
All good advice, but there is a DVC safety valve: Renting. If you bought 120 pts SSR, for example, and you are out of a job. (Just being the devil here). Your yearly maintenance would be under $600 and you could rent all the points easily at $11 pp = $1320. Now your maintenance fees are paid and you have a $720 difference to pay for any financing of DVC or put toward the mortgage. Absolute worst case, you sell the points. Not a major risk IMO.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #28
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDenis View Post
All good advice, but there is a DVC safety valve: Renting. If you bought 120 pts SSR, for example, and you are out of a job. (Just being the devil here). Your yearly maintenance would be under $600 and you could rent all the points easily at $11 pp = $1320. Now your maintenance fees are paid and you have a $720 difference to pay for any financing of DVC or put toward the mortgage. Absolute worst case, you sell the points. Not a major risk IMO.
Sorry, but this is terrible advice. A 120 point SSR purchase carries a monthly payment of approximately $185. So that $720 rental income is nice, but still leaves the owner with $1,500 in mortgage payments they have to make over the course of that year. If they were to sell the contract they would have to come up with money at the closing to make up for the 50% loss of value in the contract, or simply give it back to Disney and lose all the money they spent thus far. How is that not a major risk? That situation is the dictionary definition of a major risk. The bottom line is that the cost of direct points and/or the cost of interest eliminate just about any legitimate exit strategy from DVC. I can't see why anyone would knowingly put themselves in such a precarious position.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:56 AM   #29
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Better than 'know yourself', I would say 'Be honest with yourself.' A person really needs to be honest with themselves about their long term ability to commit to this timeshare. It is not an inexpensive endeavor.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #30
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3chantal View Post
Better than 'know yourself', I would say 'Be honest with yourself.' A person really needs to be honest with themselves about their long term ability to commit to this timeshare. It is not an inexpensive endeavor.
I'd venture to guess that even for most informed of us currently weren't nearly so at the time of our original purchase and that emotions did play a role in the purchase decision. I'd also bet that many of us talked ourselves into buying with at best, fuzzy logic such as we often see posted. Of course many of us bought before the internet was up and running such that we could investigate like is possible now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: