DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
jkevinmcg
Mouseketeer

Dues question for the gurus.

If im looking at a dec use year contract meaning no points until Dec 2013, would I be expected to pay the full 2013 dues amount? what is considerd reasonable in this case?

thanks
Kevin
jkevinmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkevinmcg View Post
If im looking at a dec use year contract meaning no points until Dec 2013, would I be expected to pay the full 2013 dues amount? what is considerd reasonable in this case?

thanks
Kevin
"Reasonable" is a subjective term that can mean different things to different people. The way maintenance fees work is that you pay in January for that particular calendar year. So in this particular case, 11/12 of the fees paid in January 2013 are for the points you can use during calendar year 2013. With a December UY, these are the 2012 points. Given that, you should really only be paying 1/12 of the 2013 maintenance fees. However...the common practice is to align use year with calendar year and say that if you get the points, you pay the fees. TTS will strongly recommend that your offer contain the provision that you pay the 2013 maintenance fees.

So, knowing how it really works, you need to decide if paying fees on points you didn't get to use is a deal breaker or not. If it doesn't sit well with you, your options are to either reduce your per point offer by the amount of the fees and then agree to pay them, or find another contract. Good luck!
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

I bought in August of 2010 with all my Dec 2010 UY points and asked the seller to pay the entire cost of the 2010 dues. Since dues are based on calendar year, I looked at what is left in the calendar to determine my reimbursement. So, the most I was going to pay, going in with offers in August, was 4 months. But, I ended up going a few dollars more in asking price but wanted all dues covered.

There is really no one way...with resale, I think its the total package price that is important and if you re comfortable with that.

Good luck!

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
jkevinmcg
Mouseketeer

Thank you both!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:

thanks
Kevin
IF you're buying through a traditional broker you'll likely be paying the dues because they usually incorrectly take the stance that "you get the points you pay the dues". However, the dues are calculated on a calendar year basis so the neutral position on dues in this situation would be that you pay 1/12 of the dues that were paid this past Jan and all of the dues coming up next Jan.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #6
Pirate Granny
DIS Veteran

All my contracts are December, all came with some current year points and 100% of all the December points. I paid the member fees. I got the price I wanted to pay for points, wasnt gonna haggle about the member fees.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
PaxsMom
Mouseketeer

I just closed on BCV. They have 72 points remaining. I had seller pay closing and MF on the 72 points.
PaxsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
lorie13
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Dec UY contracts pay their dues in advance, so by the time you receive your points on Dec 1st you have paid all of them or 11 months (if you are on auto withdrawal from Disney).

Asking the seller to pay them is optional, but if you really want the contract pay them. We just recently purchased a Dec UY BWV and we paid the 2013 dues.
lorie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorie13 View Post
Dec UY contracts pay their dues in advance, so by the time you receive your points on Dec 1st you have paid all of them or 11 months (if you are on auto withdrawal from Disney).
That is not correct. For December contract holders, the dues paid in January 2013 covered the last 11 months of the Dec 2012 UY and the first month of the Dec 2013 UY. They pay for the remaining 11/12ths of their 2013 UY in their January dues.

If you bought a Dec UY contract from Disney today with your first points being Dec 2013 points, Disney would charge you only 31 days worth of dues for 2013 to cover Dec 1-31, 2013. Are you getting an entire year's worth of points for only 31 days worth of dues? No, because you pay the rest of the dues on those 2013 points as part of your 2014 dues.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
iluvthsgam
Mouseketeer

I get the sense that more often than not people on here are of the opinion to "just pay the dues" if you want the contract. This can be negotiated. I put in an offer on a BWV contract and it had about 50 of 150 current 2013 points. My offer did not include me paying any of those dues and had the seller responsible for all 2013 dues. They accepted. Its not open and shut that the buyer should pay the dues for this years points. You should go in looking at total acquisition cost (price + dues + closing) and feel comfortable with that final number.
iluvthsgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:

thanks
Kevin
If you get the 2013 points in my opinion you should pay the dues. If you don't get the 2013 points you shouldn't
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
jkevinmcg
Mouseketeer

Thank you all, for your input. There were no points left in the 12 use year. 200 coming on Dec 1. we couldn't agree or come close to agreeing on the dues so I wasn't going to pay 1168 for points that did not exist. I offered 1/12th but TTS person I was dealing with could not fathom the calendar year vs. the use year concept so I had to walk away.

Kevin
Old 07-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #13
jkevinmcg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
That is not correct. For December contract holders, the dues paid in January 2013 covered the last 11 months of the Dec 2012 UY and the first month of the Dec 2013 UY. They pay for the remaining 11/12ths of their 2013 UY in their January dues.

If you bought a Dec UY contract from Disney today with your first points being Dec 2013 points, Disney would charge you only 31 days worth of dues for 2013 to cover Dec 1-31, 2013. Are you getting an entire year's worth of points for only 31 days worth of dues? No, because you pay the rest of the dues on those 2013 points as part of your 2014 dues.

Thanks Lisa. This is exactly how the system works.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #14
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I offered 1/12th but TTS person I was dealing with could not fathom the calendar year vs. the use year concept so I had to walk away.
I like TTS and used them when I purchased my resale contract. Unfortunately, they either don't understand this issue or don't want to have to explain it to the seller. As others have said, it's usually easier to make the equivalent adjustment on your offer (price/point) than to get a broker to support your point of view in reimbursing only a portion of the current calendar year dues.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
If you get the 2013 points in my opinion you should pay the dues. If you don't get the 2013 points you shouldn't
I agree but it's important to understand that most (11/12ths) of the dues on those 2013 points is paid as part of the 2014 dues. If the buyer reimbursed the 2013 dues in full, they would be paying for dues on 11/12ths of the 2012 points and in this situation all 2012 points have already been used by the seller.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: