Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #76
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

I really need to get myself over to the Mara one of these days - the menu looks great

I really want to try the falafel pitta

Yay for Disney replacing your awesome looking cupcake
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #77
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Sorry double post !
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #78
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
I really need to get myself over to the Mara one of these days - the menu looks great

I really want to try the falafel pitta

Yay for Disney replacing your awesome looking cupcake
Yes, you definitely should try the Mara - I would recommend hopping over for lunch while visiting Animal Kingdom. It's not far at all and I like the Mara better than the AK counter service options!
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #79
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Tomorrowland Terrace

I've been to the Tomorrowland Terrace for the dessert party, but I never tried it for dinner. It's not often open since it only serves food seasonally, but it was 4th of July week and the parks were getting pretty packed, so they were serving food! Since it's called the Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station I was excited to try it, since pasta is pretty much my favorite food in the world. I went with the pasta primavera with shrimp:

This was not quite as good as I had hoped. The shrimp was big and juicy and great. The pasta itself was good. But the dish was covered with balsamic vinegar. I've had pasta primavera a number of times, and it's never had balsamic vinegar before, so I'm pretty sure that's not standard and not at all what I was expecting. It just had the whole dish taste very vinegar-y. Everything else was good but that taste was so pervasive. It was still good, but nothing great. I would give it a 7 out of 10. Definitely much better with the shrimp! I didn't get a drink because I had just filled up my reusable mug at the resort, so my total was $10 and change.

For dessert later that evening I headed over to Aloha Isle for a Dole Whip:

I went with the pineapple and orange swirl. It was good, but not nearly as good as the wonderful citrus swirl I had discovered earlier in the trip!
Old 09-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #80
shalom
DIS Veteran

That Mara sandwich looks terrific! Less excited about the cupcake now I know it's orange marmalade. But WDW has so many terrific desserts, I doubt I'll ever get any at Mara anyhow -- too much other unique stuff to try there. Everything we've had there I've liked, although I do think we lucked out with one combination and I wouldn't have liked either dish as much without the other.

The pasta primavera looks good to me, and sounds potentially good as well (I like olive and vinegar dressing). But I expect pasta primavera sauce to be maybe garlicy, but otherwise mild -- usually the sauce is lightly flavored to let the flavors of the vegetables shine (garlic is a vegetable, right? ) -- so if I was in the mood for pasta primavera, not sure I'd like it. That's really an odd variation.

Are you an orange julius fan? and do you like Creamsicles? I've never liked either, so have never given the citrus swirl a shot, but the orange pineapple one sure sounds good.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #81
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
That Mara sandwich looks terrific! Less excited about the cupcake now I know it's orange marmalade. But WDW has so many terrific desserts, I doubt I'll ever get any at Mara anyhow -- too much other unique stuff to try there. Everything we've had there I've liked, although I do think we lucked out with one combination and I wouldn't have liked either dish as much without the other.

The pasta primavera looks good to me, and sounds potentially good as well (I like olive and vinegar dressing). But I expect pasta primavera sauce to be maybe garlicy, but otherwise mild -- usually the sauce is lightly flavored to let the flavors of the vegetables shine (garlic is a vegetable, right? ) -- so if I was in the mood for pasta primavera, not sure I'd like it. That's really an odd variation.

Are you an orange julius fan? and do you like Creamsicles? I've never liked either, so have never given the citrus swirl a shot, but the orange pineapple one sure sounds good.
Haha I know Orange marmalade isn't for everyone! But you're right about the variety of desserts. Just the amount of different cupcakes they have around WDW is astounding! Have you had the infamous zebra domes?

Yeah, it's not that the pasta primavera was bad - it's just that I don't think it was pasta primavera and was not what I was expecting! They should just change the name or advertise it differently.

I've always liked creamsicles but never loved them, so I was surprised by just how good I found the Citrus Swirl. But if you're not a fan of that combo then the orange pineapple is probably a very good bet!
Old 09-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #82
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
The transportation wasn't too bad. Once you got on the bus it took about 15-20 minutes to get to DHS, Epcot, and MK. I think the longest I ever waited for a bus was maybe 10 minutes, so it wasn't bad at all. It seems about on par with the other on property places I've stayed, which are POR, Old Key West, and Caribbean Beach. And on the plus side AK is right there, so it's only about a 5 minute bus ride! I am so in love with AKL that I definitely think it's worth it and the transportation isn't too bad!
Sorry for the delay in response - I had posted to your TR from WDW, and then we boarded the Disney Fantasy and I had no more access to the internet. Been back a couple of weeks and trying to get caught up on real life, starting a trip report, and hoping to start a dining review in the next few days.

Anyway, thank you so much for the info on transportation. The bus transportation at AKL doesn't sound bad at all. We were never HUGE AK fans before, but that changed a lot this trip. So given that I am a big, big, big fan of AKL, the fact that we have a new love of AK - well, that is a big selling point. I think I will finally give in and stay there the next time we go (whenever that may be) - it is really pretty much my top resort to try aside from transportation. So to heck with it - we should do it!

How odd about the balsamic vinegar! I really, really like balsamic, but I'm not sure whether it would taste right even to me on that particular dish. Now my 6-year-old daughter insists on dipping quesadillas in balsamic vinegar (yeah, I don't know ), so maybe she would approve!
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #83
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Have you had the infamous zebra domes?
Nope. They were on my wish list once for about ten minutes -- right up until I discovered they were mocha flavored.

Completely OT, but no one in my home family likes coffee-flavored anything (my parents and siblings, different story), but mocha is one of the most popular flavors at church. Every year we do a big cookie exchange, where everyone brings so many dozen and takes home so many dozen, and every year I wonder why our family keeps joining in on it, because half of the luscious-looking chocolate cookies are mocha! The kids love the social aspect, is the thing, but we end up wasting a lot of cookies.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #84
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom

Nope. They were on my wish list once for about ten minutes -- right up until I discovered they were mocha flavored.

Completely OT, but no one in my home family likes coffee-flavored anything (my parents and siblings, different story), but mocha is one of the most popular flavors at church. Every year we do a big cookie exchange, where everyone brings so many dozen and takes home so many dozen, and every year I wonder why our family keeps joining in on it, because half of the luscious-looking chocolate cookies are mocha! The kids love the social aspect, is the thing, but we end up wasting a lot of cookies.
My house is like that too. I don't get the zebra dome thing. I don't like coffee and alcohol flavored dessert.
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #85
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Sorry for the delay in response - I had posted to your TR from WDW, and then we boarded the Disney Fantasy and I had no more access to the internet. Been back a couple of weeks and trying to get caught up on real life, starting a trip report, and hoping to start a dining review in the next few days.

Anyway, thank you so much for the info on transportation. The bus transportation at AKL doesn't sound bad at all. We were never HUGE AK fans before, but that changed a lot this trip. So given that I am a big, big, big fan of AKL, the fact that we have a new love of AK - well, that is a big selling point. I think I will finally give in and stay there the next time we go (whenever that may be) - it is really pretty much my top resort to try aside from transportation. So to heck with it - we should do it!

How odd about the balsamic vinegar! I really, really like balsamic, but I'm not sure whether it would taste right even to me on that particular dish. Now my 6-year-old daughter insists on dipping quesadillas in balsamic vinegar (yeah, I don't know ), so maybe she would approve!
Ooh, I hope you had a great time on the Fantasy! Let me know when you post your TR, I'd love to follow along!

Wow, a 6 year old that likes balsamic vinegar seems pretty unusual in itself, but quesadillas? That's quite a combo!

Quote:

Wait... they're mocha flavored?? Haha I had no idea! I also don't like coffee flavored things but I thought the zebra domes weren't bad. I didn't notice a coffee flavor at all, I thought it was just chocolate I wasn't super impressed with them though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiths02 View Post
My house is like that too. I don't get the zebra dome thing. I don't like coffee and alcohol flavored dessert.
I usually avoid anything with a coffee flavor at all costs!
Old 09-10-2013, 12:05 AM   #86
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ooh, I hope you had a great time on the Fantasy! Let me know when you post your TR, I'd love to follow along!

Wow, a 6 year old that likes balsamic vinegar seems pretty unusual in itself, but quesadillas? That's quite a combo!
The Fantasy was AMAZING! Thank you!

I have started my TR. And I decided to do my first dining review as well! Would love to have you join along, but please don't feel like you have to.
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #87
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wait... they're mocha flavored?? Haha I had no idea!
Ooops! Apparently they were mocha flavored, but aren't any more.

http://fromscreentotheme.com/SundayB...ebraDomes.aspx

That would explain why the mocha aspect is so rarely mentioned, which puzzled me at the time.

I guess we should give them a try next time we're out, but I'm not sure what I'll think of them -- it's hit or miss with me when it comes to white chocolate stuff. But I'm sure I can find someone to finish them off if I don't like them. Traveling with teenage boys has its advantages.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #88
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
The Fantasy was AMAZING! Thank you!

I have started my TR. And I decided to do my first dining review as well! Would love to have you join along, but please don't feel like you have to.
I will check it out!

Quote:
Ooops! Apparently they were mocha flavored, but aren't any more.

http://fromscreentotheme.com/SundayB...ebraDomes.aspx

That would explain why the mocha aspect is so rarely mentioned, which puzzled me at the time.

I guess we should give them a try next time we're out, but I'm not sure what I'll think of them -- it's hit or miss with me when it comes to white chocolate stuff. But I'm sure I can find someone to finish them off if I don't like them. Traveling with teenage boys has its advantages.
Oh, that would explain it! I'm not a big fan of white chocolate but I thought they were okay. My favorite part was actually the texture rather than the flavor. I'm not sure how to describe it but they had a very satisfying crunch without being actually crunchy...
Old 09-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #89
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Tables in Wonderland Savings

So I only saved $14.20 with TiW on this trip. That was due to a few things, the major one being that people paid for my meals when they really shouldn't have!! I was expecting to pay for myself at Cape May and the Plaza, and both of those were covered for me. I also ate at more CS than usual since I was by myself, and because I was by myself I didn't spend near as much money as we normally would with 2 or more people.

But added on to my other trips, it brings my total savings with TiW up to $175.38! So if you subtract the $100 I paid for it I have now saved myself $75.38! Plus I have two more trips to go this year
Old 09-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #90
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

The End

And thus ends the dining review. I headed home very early the next morning and I think I just grabbed a bagel at the airport before sleeping on the flight home!

But don't worry, I have more dining goodness to come! I've just started my dining review from my past August trip. If you're interested in following along, you can find it here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=49532721

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: