Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #61
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Plaza Restaurant

For this meal I was able to meet up with my two friends that had just gotten married this week and we dined together. I had never been to the Plaza before but I chose it because I wanted to try something new and because it's a relatively cheap sit down.

I ordered the Vegetarian sandwich (fresh mozzarella, hummus, basil pesto, cucumber, roasted red pepper, tomato, and lettuce on a freshly baked foccaccia):

This was pretty good. A well balanced amount of ingredients, though nothing terribly special. The fries were really good though! I'd give the dish a 7.5 out of 10.

My friends both ordered the Angus Chuck Cheeseburger (served on a flour-dusted kaiser roll with lettuce, tomato, and onion. Choose from the following toppings: Cheddar, American cheese, Bacon, Grilled Mushrooms and Grilled Onion):

I think they both liked it. Honestly, we were so caught up in talking to each other that we didn't pay much attention to the food!

They were on the dining plan so they each got a dessert. One of my friends didn't want hers, however, so she gave me her banana split. This was a lot of ice cream!

I ate about 2/3 of it, but it was very good. 8 out of 10.

Overall I'd give the Plaza a 7 out of 10. It's good if you want to sit down and be served but don't want to spend a fortune, or you can't get a reservation anywhere else. Or if you're a picky eater and just want burgers, sandwiches, and salads. But it's really nothing all that special, and I would definitely prefer to go other places in the future.

I don't have the TiW discount here because my friends were kind enough to secretly pay for my meal!
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #62
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

The Plaza is one of our favourite TS locations inside the parks, purely for the reasons you've stated - it's relatively cheap, the food is basic but tasty and it's quite easy to get a walk-up (or last minute ADR).

That banana split looks great
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #63
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
The Plaza is one of our favourite TS locations inside the parks, purely for the reasons you've stated - it's relatively cheap, the food is basic but tasty and it's quite easy to get a walk-up (or last minute ADR).

That banana split looks great
It's definitely cool that there's a place you can get a table in air conditioning with service for just a little bit more than a counter service meal!
Old 08-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #64
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
And it's centrally located, which for my family is a huge benefit.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #65
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
And it's centrally located, which for my family is a huge benefit.
Another very good point!
Old 08-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #66
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Count me in an another fan of the Plaza

It's not much more expensive than grabbing counter service and so much more relaxing !
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #67
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

Another Plaza fan.....BEST fries in the World!!!!!
Old 08-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #68
boundfordisney
I think my finger prints are still on the grab bars to this day

great report so far! Im jealous as Id love to do a solo trip, hopefully in the future I will , I just have to plan it in secret as whenever I talk about planning a trip friends and family hop onboard with it , even dh is eager to go.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #69
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Count me in an another fan of the Plaza

It's not much more expensive than grabbing counter service and so much more relaxing !
Yes, definitely a good way to spend a meal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerKat View Post
Another Plaza fan.....BEST fries in the World!!!!!
Those fries were really fantastic! I could use some now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boundfordisney View Post
great report so far! Im jealous as Id love to do a solo trip, hopefully in the future I will , I just have to plan it in secret as whenever I talk about planning a trip friends and family hop onboard with it , even dh is eager to go.
I know what you mean - a lot of my friends have that problem too. In fact, we planned a girls trip last February that was supposed to be girls only but there were a few husbands there because they couldn't stand not going for a trip. In some ways I get sad that my DH isn't ever really eager to go to Disney, but I guess it has some benefits too!
Old 08-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #70
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

The Mara

I had spent the morning in Hollywood Studios but none of the counter service options there were appealing to me, so I headed back to AKL and decided to try the Mara.

For my lunch I got the chicken pita with french fries (chicken breast served on a warm pita with sun-dried tomato hummus, cucumber, tomato, and mixed greens with mint yogurt sauce):

Yum, yum, yum! This was so good! Maybe it was partially because I was starving, but I thought it tasted great. The pita was very soft and delicious, but also sturdy enough so that the sandwich didn't fall apart. All of the flavors worked so well together. I couldn't pick out the individual components but together they created a great flavor. I'd give this sandwich a 9 out of 10.

I also treated myself to dessert: a giraffe cupcake (orange marmalade):

As I was going out the door with it, someone opened up the door very quickly and knocked the cupcake out of my hand. Of course it fell frosting side down right on my exposed foot! Since I was only wearing flip flops, I was covered in it. Luckily, Disney was awesome and helped me get cleaned up - and they got me another cupcake! It was very yummy. I liked the frosting the best. There was a good deal of orange marmalade in the center - almost too much, as it got very messy! But I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

My total cost at the Mara including tax was $13.83.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #71
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Wow! More great reviews. All the pizza looks delicious, and the Plaza food looks pretty darn tasty too. I have to say though, the Mara lunch looks really yummy - and totally different, which is a huge plus. I really want to stay at AKL at some point - nice that it has such a good CS option. We love the BW, but there is no real CS at all there.
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #72
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Wow! More great reviews. All the pizza looks delicious, and the Plaza food looks pretty darn tasty too. I have to say though, the Mara lunch looks really yummy - and totally different, which is a huge plus. I really want to stay at AKL at some point - nice that it has such a good CS option. We love the BW, but there is no real CS at all there.
Yes, I agree - the Mara definitely has some "different" options, which is great for me because I love things that are more interesting than just hamburgers or chicken fingers! AKL is gorgeous, the only downside is that if you stay at Kidani village the CS place is at Jambo House - it's a short bus ride away but still slightly inconvenient. But I asbolutely adore AKL so if you get the chance to stay there definitely do it!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #73
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
Yes, I agree - the Mara definitely has some "different" options, which is great for me because I love things that are more interesting than just hamburgers or chicken fingers! AKL is gorgeous, the only downside is that if you stay at Kidani village the CS place is at Jambo House - it's a short bus ride away but still slightly inconvenient. But I asbolutely adore AKL so if you get the chance to stay there definitely do it!
You know, the ONLY thing that has kept me from booking AKL in the past is my fear about the amount of time transportation would take. How did you find the bus transportation to the parks? Did you feel like you spent an inordinate amount of time commuting? (For reference, we have stayed at the BW the last two trips largely because of the ability to get to two out of four parks quickly and easily.) I would LOVE to stay at AKL, and I am thinking that my concerns are probably unfounded - with a small child who no longer merits a stroller, I don't exactly get to use the walking path to DHS or even Epcot all that much from the BW anyway. Hmmmmmm
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #74
CallieS
Oh, it's a Pineapple Float, not a Dole Whip

My husband and I found Mara by accident. We were visiting AKL just to look around, decided we were hungry, and found Mara. We split the falafel pita, and it was one of the best meals I've ever had. No joke, I still think about it. At some point in the future we're going to have to go back.
CallieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #75
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
You know, the ONLY thing that has kept me from booking AKL in the past is my fear about the amount of time transportation would take. How did you find the bus transportation to the parks? Did you feel like you spent an inordinate amount of time commuting? (For reference, we have stayed at the BW the last two trips largely because of the ability to get to two out of four parks quickly and easily.) I would LOVE to stay at AKL, and I am thinking that my concerns are probably unfounded - with a small child who no longer merits a stroller, I don't exactly get to use the walking path to DHS or even Epcot all that much from the BW anyway. Hmmmmmm
The transportation wasn't too bad. Once you got on the bus it took about 15-20 minutes to get to DHS, Epcot, and MK. I think the longest I ever waited for a bus was maybe 10 minutes, so it wasn't bad at all. It seems about on par with the other on property places I've stayed, which are POR, Old Key West, and Caribbean Beach. And on the plus side AK is right there, so it's only about a 5 minute bus ride! I am so in love with AKL that I definitely think it's worth it and the transportation isn't too bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallieS View Post
My husband and I found Mara by accident. We were visiting AKL just to look around, decided we were hungry, and found Mara. We split the falafel pita, and it was one of the best meals I've ever had. No joke, I still think about it. At some point in the future we're going to have to go back.
I'm sure the falafel pita was just as good as the chicken one! I stayed at AKL again this past August and got to try a few more things on the menu - all good, but the chicken pita has definitely been my favorite so far!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: