Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
bugzy
Earning My Ears

WDW Magic Kingdom doesnt feel magical

As a first time visitor to WDW but a longtime visitor to Disneyland I have to admit I'm underwhelmed at the Magic Kingdom. Epcot and Animal Kingdom have been amazing and fun. Me and my wife have both loved those. We are heading to Hollywood Studios tomorrow so we can't speak on that part yet. The magic kingdom honestly just felt boring and incomplete. Disneyland feels more magical, more complete and more fun. I'm I the only one who feels like this?
Old 07-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Moving to the Theme Parks board...
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
mch521
Mouseketeer

I have only been once but the Magic Kingdom did feel magical to me, however, the crowds were an eye opener our first time. We definitely enjoyed Epcot more since it didn't feel like we were walking on top of each other.
mch521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
wishing4PA
Wants to be in Pennsylvania or WDW or PA or WDW or ... and stuck smack dab in the middle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
As a first time visitor to WDW but a longtime visitor to Disneyland I have to admit I'm underwhelmed at the Magic Kingdom. Epcot and Animal Kingdom have been amazing and fun. Me and my wife have both loved those. We are heading to Hollywood Studios tomorrow so we can't speak on that part yet. The magic kingdom honestly just felt boring and incomplete. Disneyland feels more magical, more complete and more fun. I'm I the only one who feels like this?
I haven't been to DL yet, but I found myself wondering the other day whether I will feel that way about it when/if I get there. It's got to be weird, with all the similarities between DL & MK!

I hope you have a great day at DHS tomorrow!
* 7/2013 (YC with DD), 1/2012 (Poly - me, DD, DN, DN, DSis, thanks! ), 7/2010 (FW - the Poly5+Mom), 2/2009 (DD4 & DH's 1st visit! ASMo), Day trip ~1990, Overnight "Jazz Night" with HS band (1978?), ~10 Day trips in 1970's-80's (E tickets!)
* Disney World Preview Center (1970?) An amusement park here, in the middle of nowhere, far from the beaches, nowhere near anything, even dinky little Orlando? That'll never fly!
wishing4PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #5
fabulousfive
DIS Veteran

Quote:
MK is so magical to me I get tears in my eyes just walking down Main Street. I think DL may be just special to you that nothing else compares. Since the two are similar, you may just be gravitating to the newer parks at WDW that you had never experienced in California.
fabulousfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
wordwitt
Mouseketeer

As a native of Southern CA who grew up at DL, MK is my least favorite park at WDW. That said, I find WDW in general far more magical than DL.
wordwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:49 AM   #7
Cais
DIS Veteran

As a native of California transplanted to Orlando, I have to say MK is my favorite of the parks out here. But only the west side. Tomorrowland leaves much to be desired out here.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:29 AM   #8
Oh So ONO
Earning My Ears

Epcot is my favorite WDW park. I am also from CA. Going back to DLR this week, and to WDW in Sept. I think MK does have the Disney "Magic". But it just isn't Disneyland. Sure we Californians are partial to our park for sentimental reasons. But it's also Walt's park. There's something truly magical and awe-inspiring about walking in the park that Walt Disney built. I love everything about WDW. It's the true vacation destination that DLR never will be. I'll spend 2 days at DLR. I'll spend 10 days at WDW. It's nice to be spoiled.
Oh So ONO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #9
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Completely agree. MK was my least favorite park because I kept expecting it to be like DL. HS was actually my favorite. I really liked MK and Epcot too. Loved the water parks! On the whole I loved the experience of the WDW vacation but I think that was in large part due to my love of our resort. The parks were secondary. In general I prefer DL and CA to the WDW parks.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:38 AM   #10
lizzi6692
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh So ONO View Post
Epcot is my favorite WDW park. I am also from CA. Going back to DLR this week, and to WDW in Sept. I think MK does have the Disney "Magic". But it just isn't Disneyland. Sure we Californians are partial to our park for sentimental reasons. But it's also Walt's park. There's something truly magical and awe-inspiring about walking in the park that Walt Disney built. I love everything about WDW. It's the true vacation destination that DLR never will be. I'll spend 2 days at DLR. I'll spend 10 days at WDW. It's nice to be spoiled.
Disneyland may be Walt's park, but Disney World was Walt's dream. Disney World has become everything that Walt wished he had done differently with Disneyland.
December 2011: Pop Century
lizzi6692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:20 AM   #11
MeeskaMooskaMickey
Mouseketeer

I love Disney and love magic kingdom. I cannot compare to Disneyland as I haven't been there but certainly think that MK at WDW is lacking in a certain 'ambience' compared to the main park at DLP. It's difficult to explain exactly why as they are so similar, perhaps more piped music and random character appearances in Paris? Don't get me wrong, still love MK, but still can relate to the OPs feelings.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
MeeskaMooskaMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:34 AM   #12
dlinne
Mouseketeer

I felt the same way when we visited last year. I think for me the spacing has something to do with it--DL feels more intimate and all space is used. Many more rides and attractions in DL compared to MK. I love the whole WDW experience though. At WDW I feel like I'm in some kind of alternate Disney universe whereas at DL reality creeps in more easily (probably because we stay off site. Love both though and can't wait to return in Nov to WDW.
dlinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:40 AM   #13
DreamSweetsLove
Loves Mickey

MK is our least favorite too. That being said, it does look like they are taking some steps to address some of the problems. They are starting to add things like the new Fantasyland and the long overdo new day parade is coming and the concept art for the new parade looks really nice. Maybe we will see a new Electrical parade soon too? Maintenance at that park is an issue, I guess the excuse is most of the guests are on once in a lifetime trips but I think they would rather have the attractions look nice and working than have one or two attractions down. The other big problem is there is a lot of angry or rude people, sometimes guests, sometimes cast it's a weird thing about that park in particular. No idea what the reason for that is because right next door at Epcot the cast was very good and people seemed more relaxed. Maybe the expectations are higher and the high cost of vacation stresses out the guests and cast? Maybe there is higher turnover at MK? Who knows.

We love Epcot and Animal Kingdom though and as a whole WDW is a really interesting and fun resort with so many activities and great hotels. There is just something off at MK for some reason, but it's only my opinion.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:41 AM   #14
magicbob
DIS Veteran

I grew up near WDW and it has always been magical to me. But I can understand longtime DLers feeling that the Magic Kingdom is not as magical as DL.

I've been to DL once. Some things that I thought were better at DL are:
Pirates of the Caribbean
Tomorrowland (Star Tours, better version of Space Mountain, etc.)
The Matterhorn! (‘nuff said)
Still have a sub ride (even if it's "Finding Nemo" instead of "Captain Nemo")
Toon Town (WDW's version didn't even come close to DL)
Mr. Toad hasn't been evicted by Pooh (Harder to do since the ride is actually located in "Toad Hall"... see my next comment below)

But the one thing that I do recall being "more magical" at DL is Fantasyland. Peter Pan, Small World, etc. have very elaborate buildings/facades in DL. In comparison, Peter Pan, Small World, etc. at WDW are more reminiscent of those ride trailers at carnivals. There are also rides for Alice & Pinocchio that were left out at WDW. More representation of classic Disney stories in the ride selection coupled with the more immersive setting make DL's Fantasyland extremely magical.

Don't get me wrong, I love WDW, but imagine how much better the "old" Fantasyland would be if the buildings had the same level of detail as "new" Fantasyland (or at least the original DL Fantasyland). They got this right at Disneyland Paris as well. It's a shame that WDW built the Fantasyland ride buildings so generically.

Ratatouille, the Ride!

magicbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:15 AM   #15
mummabear
DIS Veteran

I love both Disneyland (5 adult visits) and WDW (3 adult visits). I find CAP, HS, AK fun (and Epcot meh) but both Magic Kingdoms are magical to me they are the reason we visit. I am also one who tears up on leaving them not knowing how long until we can get back is so hard.
There are things that are "more" magical about both, walking in Walts footsteps at DL is special and taking the ferry as the castle comes into view in Orlando just takes your breath away a bit more then crossing a busy road from cheap motels and gas stations.
mummabear is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: