Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #76
EAWildman
Mouseketeer

OK, so while I intially didn't like the idea of RFID chips in my refillable mugs or cups, I think it provides Disney a solution to a multitude of problems.

My family's problem with the refillable mug program was that we are annual passholders taking 4-6 small (3-5 day) trips per year. I could not justify buying 4-6 sets of mugs per year. However, I could justify buying one set of mugs per year and using them on multiple visits to get our monies worth out of them.

Why can't Disney offer a Annual Pass level to their mug pricing plan? They could simply set the mug to expire on your annual pass experation date. I am not sure what a refillable mug like that would price out at, but it would be a great option for us Annual Passholders.

I am hoping that such an option will be adopted in future phases of this program. Along with getting refills in the parks.

We feel the same way about Photopass, by the way. It would be great to have an Annual Pass option where you could collect photos thru the year and buy one CD. But that's off topic!

Eric
--Billy Joel
----------------------------------------------
Charter Member of D23
EAWildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #77
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAWildman View Post
OK, so while I intially didn't like the idea of RFID chips in my refillable mugs or cups, I think it provides Disney a solution to a multitude of problems.

My family's problem with the refillable mug program was that we are annual passholders taking 4-6 small (3-5 day) trips per year. I could not justify buying 4-6 sets of mugs per year. However, I could justify buying one set of mugs per year and using them on multiple visits to get our monies worth out of them.

Why can't Disney offer a Annual Pass level to their mug pricing plan? They could simply set the mug to expire on your annual pass experation date. I am not sure what a refillable mug like that would price out at, but it would be a great option for us Annual Passholders.

I am hoping that such an option will be adopted in future phases of this program. Along with getting refills in the parks.

We feel the same way about Photopass, by the way. It would be great to have an Annual Pass option where you could collect photos thru the year and buy one CD. But that's off topic!

Eric
I can't see an "AP option" for refillable mugs...the problem is that different people would get different levels of value...frequent visitors would get more value than those who get them for just a couple trips.

Perhaps something like an "X-day No Expiration" option.

But the other strike against appears to be that they DO NOT WANT old mugs used, for whatever reason they have.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #78
going/again
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
The "length of stay" is good for 14 consecutive days and all mugs can be used at any resort. So as long as the trip is 14 days or less, there won't be a problem with split stays.

For more than 14 days, perhaps they'll have to issue a new mug or something like that. Probably not a seamless process but not a terrible inconvenience over such a long stay. Brief stop at the front desk.
We go for 25 days so length of stay is not length of stay at all
going/again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #79
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by going/again View Post
We go for 25 days so length of stay is not length of stay at all
The information posted here states that $17.99 is the price for any length of stay. What isn't clearly communicated here is how stays longer than 14 days will be handled.

By default, all length of stay mugs will be coded to expire in 14 days. I would say the logical options for a longer stay are:

1) Code it for more than 14 days at issuance.
2) Require the guest to stop at front desk on Day 15 to have the RFID chip re-enabled.
3) Require the guest to claim a new mug on Day 15.

Regardless of which administrative approach Disney uses, the fee is still $17.99 one time for any length of stay.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #80
EAWildman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I can't see an "AP option" for refillable mugs...the problem is that different people would get different levels of value...frequent visitors would get more value than those who get them for just a couple trips.
Well, the same is true for annual passes in general right? If I use my Annual Pass 25 times a year, I get more "value" than the person who uses their Annual Pass just 15 times a year.

I figure they would price an Annual Pass refillable mug at a high enough price where it would make someone who knew they were only coming once or twice decide not to get it. Then Disney would have to decide if there would be demand for such a product.

I think it would be worth offering...I would get one right away!

Eric
--Billy Joel
Charter Member of D23
Old 07-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #81
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Well, the same is true for annual passes in general right? If I use my Annual Pass 25 times a year, I get more "value" than the person who uses their Annual Pass just 15 times a year.

I figure they would price an Annual Pass refillable mug at a high enough price where it would make someone who knew they were only coming once or twice decide not to get it. Then Disney would have to decide if there would be demand for such a product.

I think it would be worth offering...I would get one right away!

Eric
But costs to Disney are a bit different. The "cost" of you going to the park another day is minimal (it's sort of a virtual cost), but another day's worth of soda can add up (direct capital cost). Especially, for whatever reason, you can't use the old mug and another needs to be provided (I still think health codes are a factor, but I don't know why you can use one up to 14 days, as the risks of cross-contamination exist at day 1...)
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 07-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #82
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
The economics of it would seem to be different, though.

A theme park has certain minimum staffing levels which must be maintained regardless of crowd levels. If those staffing levels aren't significantly impacted by the Passholder population, then it costs Disney little to accommodate the heavy AP users.

Additionally, there is a presumption that Passholders will end up spending additional dollars during their visits: food, drink, trading pins, vinylmation, etc.

With the refillable mug, there's a very real cost associated with the product delivered at each refill. And I don't see the mug spurning additional sales.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #83
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfreak View Post
So people are upset that they won't be able to break the rules anymore? TS. If you don't like it, don't buy the mug. I'm glad they're doing this. We buy new mugs every time we go (or get new ones with the meal plan) and it bugs me when I see people filling 12 year old Wilderness Lodge mugs and milk cartons with beverages that they should be paying for.

You can justify it however you want, but if you didn't pay for the mug on your current visit and you're using an old one (or something else) to fill for free, YOU ARE STEALING.

Whatever Disney pays (or doesn't pay) for the syrup is beside the point. If you don't pay, you are stealing. Sorry, but that's it. Plain and simple.
To be clear, those 12 year old Wilderness Lodge mugs you see have "lifetime refills" chiseled into them. Those people, me included, have lifetime refills at those resorts. No ifs, ands, or buts, the mug is a contract, and if they're being used, it's not stealing.

On the topic of APs and mugs or DVC and mugs, I'm with ya on wanting some kind of plan to make several trips utilize one mug, even if paying the fee over again.

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #84
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

I would like to echo the sentiment that the time has come for a new design. I don't mind having to get new mugs every time I come, but it would be nice if they were themed for each year. The number of identical mugs I have sitting around is a bit sad.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #85
dgramling
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
I would like to echo the sentiment that the time has come for a new design. I don't mind having to get new mugs every time I come, but it would be nice if they were themed for each year. The number of identical mugs I have sitting around is a bit sad.
If I had to guess this will make any new designs less often. In the past they changed designs to stop people from bringing old mugs now with the chip, old mugs won't work so there will be less need to change. But it also doesn't mean Disney has to stick with the same design either because the chip can be in any mug and the fountain can do the policing then they could have "limited" mugs or resort specfic.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #86
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgramling View Post
If I had to guess this will make any new designs less often. In the past they changed designs to stop people from bringing old mugs now with the chip, old mugs won't work so there will be less need to change. But it also doesn't mean Disney has to stick with the same design either because the chip can be in any mug and the fountain can do the policing then they could have "limited" mugs or resort specfic.
They haven't been changing the designs frequently as it is...I don't think it had much to do with stopping people from bringing them, especially since it didn't...

The mugs are actually two pieces - a shell and a liner (plus handle and lid), and act something like a flask (helping to keep the drink hot/cold). The design is only on the shell. The chip can be in the lid, or liner, or handle...parts that don't change just with the design...

Old 07-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #87
rantnnravin
Whaddya mean there's no room in the suitcase? YOU CAN LAND A PLANE IN THERE!!

The way I look at, my souvenir costs just went down!!!! Since

1) we usually only use the mugs for coffee and maybe the occasional iced tea (we don't even drink soda at home)
and
2) there are coffee makers in the rooms
3) We are RARELY at the resort to eat at quick service/fill it
4) I usually buy the mug primarily for use at home (then the picture wears office with frequent use and i get a new one on my next visit)
5) They are a pain in the neck to fill on the way to a park then cart around all day

Therefore, I can buy the mug for the ONE DAY option, thereby reducing my souvenir cost by $7!!!

Thanks Disney!

In all seriousness, for a resort that claims to be green/eco-friendly, I would have hoped that they might offer a Reduce/Reuse/Recycle option (ie. RFID re-activation only)

I honestly believe that WDC thinks these ideas up halfway, then floats them to us to hash out solutions for all the scenarios they never even considered. I swear they should offer the DIS a residual for R&D input.

rantnnravin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #88
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
They haven't been changing the designs frequently as it is...I don't think it had much to do with stopping people from bringing them, especially since it didn't...

The mugs are actually two pieces - a shell and a liner (plus handle and lid), and act something like a flask (helping to keep the drink hot/cold). The design is only on the shell. The chip can be in the lid, or liner, or handle...parts that don't change just with the design...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantnnravin View Post
The way I look at, my souvenir costs just went down!!!! Since

1) we usually only use the mugs for coffee and maybe the occasional iced tea (we don't even drink soda at home)
and
2) there are coffee makers in the rooms
3) We are RARELY at the resort to eat at quick service/fill it
4) I usually buy the mug primarily for use at home (then the picture wears office with frequent use and i get a new one on my next visit)
5) They are a pain in the neck to fill on the way to a park then cart around all day

Therefore, I can buy the mug for the ONE DAY option, thereby reducing my souvenir cost by $7!!!

Thanks Disney!

In all seriousness, for a resort that claims to be green/eco-friendly, I would have hoped that they might offer a Reduce/Reuse/Recycle option (ie. RFID re-activation only)

I honestly believe that WDC thinks these ideas up halfway, then floats them to us to hash out solutions for all the scenarios they never even considered. I swear they should offer the DIS a residual for R&D input.
You know, Doc's comment actually lit a light bulb for me on what might be the simpliest way for disney to offer a cheaper "re-use" option.

since the mug design itself never changes, I don't see any reason they can't place chips in lids they can sell for a little less money to help encourage reuse/recycling older mugs. A guest comes in with an older mug from a previous trip (even a DVC or AP holder), Disney sells them a new lid for slightly less than what the new mug costs (even if it's just a 10% discount from the new mug cost), And then the guest will now have lid which enables the RFID fountains to work on their old mugs.

The biggest issues with this idea would be if there actually is a health code reason for the lack of re-activation options so far, and the fact that lids can be easily misplaced or left at a table when a guest goes for the refill. (which also brings to mind another question on what the range of the fountains are, and if it would be a pain to hold the lid near enough the machine to get your refill)
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #89
EAWildman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
The economics of it would seem to be different, though.

A theme park has certain minimum staffing levels which must be maintained regardless of crowd levels. If those staffing levels aren't significantly impacted by the Passholder population, then it costs Disney little to accommodate the heavy AP users.

Additionally, there is a presumption that Passholders will end up spending additional dollars during their visits: food, drink, trading pins, vinylmation, etc.

With the refillable mug, there's a very real cost associated with the product delivered at each refill. And I don't see the mug spurning additional sales.
Ok, perhaps we are some odd exception. We live in Georgia, so we are not local. We have stayed up to 25 days at WDW with annual passes and have ALWAYS stayed on property, though we could always stay offsite too. Having an Annual Passholder refilable mug would encourage me to stay onsite on subsequent visits, especially since the mug would work at ANY WDW resort I choose. Having an annual passholder stay on property would seem to be a plus for Disney, as it would certainly spur additional spending.

Not to mention that having a mug at the resorts tends to suggest eating at the resorts as well. Even if you charged $25 for annual passholder mug, and assuming you used it 25 days, that would still be a buck a day and Disney would still be making a profit, unless you hang out at the drink station all day.

Eric
--Billy Joel
Charter Member of D23
Old 07-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #90
Topper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizCaptain View Post
To be clear, those 12 year old Wilderness Lodge mugs you see have "lifetime refills" chiseled into them. Those people, me included, have lifetime refills at those resorts. No ifs, ands, or buts, the mug is a contract, and if they're being used, it's not stealing.
Can you take and post a picture of this "chiseling" on the so-called "forever" mugs?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: