Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #376
RandomPrincess
Earning My Ears

Can't wait to read about how the machines work in reality.

DL- Yearly 1978 to 1992, 1997, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007 (Disney Dream Job), 2008, 2009 (D23 Expo & Daughter's First Trip), 2010

Upcoming - WDW - October 2013 & DL - May 2014
RandomPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #377
luvdisney00
DIS Veteran

Just left POR and the lines were so long for the machines all day long, I cannot imagine if only 2 can go at a time.
This should be interesting...

6/90 offsite
6/00 All Star Movies
7/07 Polynesian
9/08 Polynesian
8/10 Port Orleans Riverside
8/11 Beach Club
8/12 Beach Club
8/13 Port Orleans Riverside
luvdisney00 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #378
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdisney00 View Post
Just left POR and the lines were so long for the machines all day long, I cannot imagine if only 2 can go at a time.
This is not sounding good......
Old 08-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #379
WyoLars
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdisney00 View Post
I was on board with this until now, only 2 can be filled at once isn't very cool.
WyoLars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #380
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

This sounds perfect... For Disney

Long lines will deter usage...

"I give you a mug with parental lock on it...you give me $17.99...you may or may not have the time and patience to use it"

Even the hard core capitalist defenders of Disney in the mug debate will eventually start to see the inherent danger in this new idea
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #381
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic
This sounds perfect... For Disney

Long lines will deter usage...

"I give you a mug with parental lock on it...you give me $17.99...you may or may not have the time and patience to use it"

Even the hard core capitalist defenders of Disney in the mug debate will eventually start to see the inherent danger in this new idea
That's the reason for the tests. Either the issue is with guests with non RFID mugs, in including recent purchases, needing attention or Disney needs additional machines.
Why the rush to judgement?
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #382
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post

That's the reason for the tests. Either the issue is with guests with non RFID mugs, in including recent purchases, needing attention or Disney needs additional machines.
Why the rush to judgement?
Why would they put in 20 additional machines to satisfy lines?

Why not just let the system become more profitable?
I have too little faith perhaps...you have far too much

Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

Old 08-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #383
Andrew015
WL Guru

I really think this whole idea has a chance to go out to pasture and never come back. I'm quite sure that some bean counter at WDW Headquarters came up with this grand idea, and on paper, it probably looks really good. "We will save WDW Resorts $2.5 million in soda expenses over a one year period..." (I'm totally winging that number). Everyone around the boardroom nods in agreement, and the PO is placed to bring in the RFID equipment.

What most bean counters fail to see is anything beyond a good looking balance sheet. The $2.5 million (or whatever number it might be) that WDW Resorts will save in soda expense is literally, a drop-in-the-bucket for this multi BILLION dollar company.

Walt Disney was founded on some very basic principles, with one of the most important ones being all about the customer and keeping them happy, ensuring the absolute best guest experience possible with service that is second to none.

Standing in a 10 minute line with an RFID bracelet to get my $.15 cents worth of Coke Zero doesn't sound like a premium guest experience to me. Rather, it sounds like a herd of cattle. What's coming next... Fast Pass Plus for soda fountains? Will I have to book my fillup using My Disney Experience on my smart phone? Do I need to do this 3 months in advance prior to travel?

I know the system is put in place for Disney to better control their costs, and to eliminate the "cheaters" who abuse the system. But at what cost is that $2.5mm savings going to be captured? I, for one, will not be buying a $17.99 refillable mug to stand in a cattle line for a refill. I'll stick to the water fountains from here on out, and maybe splurge on a $2.99 bottle in the park if need be.

What Disney will be saving on the front end, they will be losing on the back end, as I think many others will have similar sentiments to my own...

Sinecerely,

A very frustrated, roughly 20 year owner of refillable drink mugs...
Old 08-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #384
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew015 View Post
I really think this whole idea has a chance to go out to pasture and never come back. I'm quite sure that some bean counter at WDW Headquarters came up with this grand idea, and on paper, it probably looks really good. "We will save WDW Resorts $2.5 million in soda expenses over a one year period..." (I'm totally winging that number). Everyone around the boardroom nods in agreement, and the PO is placed to bring in the RFID equipment.

What most bean counters fail to see is anything beyond a good looking balance sheet. The $2.5 million (or whatever number it might be) that WDW Resorts will save in soda expense is literally, a drop-in-the-bucket for this multi BILLION dollar company.

Walt Disney was founded on some very basic principles, with one of the most important ones being all about the customer and keeping them happy, ensuring the absolute best guest experience possible with service that is second to none.

Standing in a 10 minute line with an RFID bracelet to get my $.15 cents worth of Coke Zero doesn't sound like a premium guest experience to me. Rather, it sounds like a herd of cattle. What's coming next... Fast Pass Plus for soda fountains? Will I have to book my fillup using My Disney Experience on my smart phone? Do I need to do this 3 months in advance prior to travel?

I know the system is put in place for Disney to better control their costs, and to eliminate the "cheaters" who abuse the system. But at what cost is that $2.5mm savings going to be captured? I, for one, will not be buying a $17.99 refillable mug to stand in a cattle line for a refill. I'll stick to the water fountains from here on out, and maybe splurge on a $2.99 bottle in the park if need be.

What Disney will be saving on the front end, they will be losing on the back end, as I think many others will have similar sentiments to my own...

Sinecerely,

Andrew,

A romantic notion... But I think you know that ship has sailed.

A more likely solution if this doesn't work is a discontinuation of the mug program.

The hardware is bought... Which means they are more
Likely to disable the radio readers and go to pay per use than not get
Their way with the mugs.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #385
Andrew015
WL Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Andrew,

A romantic notion... But I think you know that ship has sailed.

A more likely solution if this doesn't work is a discontinuation of the mug program.

The hardware is bought... Which means they are more
Likely to disable the radio readers and go to pay per use than not get
Their way with the mugs.
Perhaps, but perhaps not. I happen to be one of the said “bean counters” that I am trashing in my above post, just not at WDW. There’s a good chance that the folks who sold the RFID vending equipment actually pitched the program to Disney, and WDW management bought into the notion. Often times, in an instance like this, the purchase agreement is written as such that the equipment must generate “X” amount of revenue (or savings), or the agreement will be terminated. Or perhaps Disney has a trial period (30, 60, 90 days) in which they can terminate the agreement and return the equipment if it does not meet their expectations. By the sounds of the initial trial, that could be in the realm of possibilities.

That being said, I am a realist, and you are probably right. I’m 85% sure that the RFID drink stations are here to stay (usually, anything that I want to stay “goes”, and anything I want to go “stays). However, I just don’t see how anyone (other than the bean counters) can view this as an improvement to the guest experience. I would just think that the $2.5mm (or insert whatever dollar amount you see fit) that is lost to the “cheaters” would be chalked up as a “loss leader”, or at the very least, is accounted for in the $15.99 price that the non-cheaters pay for our mugs.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #386
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:

Sinecerely,

Nice thought but that really isn't Disney. Disney is all about making money while giving the guest the illusion of being treated special. They restrict the mug refills but let you refill at any resort. Sounds good right, but who is going to other resorts to fill their mug?

The mug program never made much sense to my family anyway. The mugs are so small and the dispensers are usually far from the room. Walking 20 minutes for swig of coke just isn't our thing.

The RFID soda dispensers are becoming standard in the industry and the ability to modify the program by making software changes allows for all kinds of changes and special promotions.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #387
Andrew015
WL Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Nice thought but that really isn't Disney. Disney is all about making money while giving the guest the illusion of being treated special. They restrict the mug refills but let you refill at any resort. Sounds good right, but who is going to other resorts to fill their mug?

The mug program never made much sense to my family anyway. The mugs are so small and the dispensers are usually far from the room. Walking 20 minutes for swig of coke just isn't our thing.

The RFID soda dispensers are becoming standard in the industry and the ability to modify the program by making software changes allows for all kinds of changes and special promotions.

Bill

Bill,

I'm not sure that I agree that RFID soda dispensers are becoming "industry standard". I, for one, have never encountered one EVER, but will for the first time on my upcoming September WDW trip. Where else have you seen one in action? Did I miss something new at Starbucks? (Cue in the "I hate Starbucks on Mainstreet" posts... NOW...)

While I do agree that WDW is in the business of making money, I think you're missing my point. I think that this newly implemented circus will turn enough people off, that revenue will actually go in the opposite direction as intended. Save a nickel to lose a dime...

To your point, the system is a pain... walking a mile to fill your mug, then you are either stuck carrying your mug to the park, or you have to make a special trip back to the room to drop it off... now you have to wait in the 5-10 minute long cattle line to scan the mug and get your refill (sounds more like a jail mess hall than a luxury resort)... and by the way, you now have to pay $2.00 more per mug for the pleasure? Count me out...
Old 08-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #388
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

FYI, RFID mugs are NOT in use at CBR yet. They are still selling the old mugs, old price, old restrictions - but the manager said to keep the receipt in case the next resort in out split stay has them.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #389
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Bill,

I'm not sure that I agree that RFID soda dispensers are becoming "industry standard". I, for one, have never encountered one EVER, but will for the first time on my upcoming September WDW trip. Where else have you seen one in action? Did I miss something new at Starbucks? (Cue in the "I hate Starbucks on Mainstreet" posts... NOW...)

While I do agree that WDW is in the business of making money, I think you're missing my point. I think that this newly implemented circus will turn enough people off, that revenue will actually go in the opposite direction as intended. Save a nickel to lose a dime...

To your point, the system is a pain... walking a mile to fill your mug, then you are either stuck carrying your mug to the park, or you have to make a special trip back to the room to drop it off... now you have to wait in the 5-10 minute long cattle line to scan the mug and get your refill (sounds more like a jail mess hall than a luxury resort)... and by the way, you now have to pay $2.00 more per mug for the pleasure? Count me out...
Coke's new free style dispensers are being offered with RFID and they will be in a million locations, Burger King is in the process of changing to RFID, Several Cruise lines have implemented RFID dispensers and so has Universal.

Most people will learn to accept the changes as they do with all Disney changes. People said that the changes to the DDP would stop people from buying it years ago and it is still going strong. People said the constant ticket price increases would hurt Disney's bottom line but their attendance continues to increase.

Check out the early posts about the Magic Band, people stated that the public wouldn't go for it but now they are excited about the program and they are buying bling to add to their band. Disney says that that RFID technology at POS is projected to increase sales revenue by 15% to 20%.

At Disney if you build it, they will come!

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #390
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

The only place that I know of currently using freestyle machines is RC ships. I doubt you'll see them in most typical applications...mostly in long-term use conditions like resorts and ships.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: