Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #286
lilmomma00
Earning My Ears
 
lilmomma00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Beach club
Posts: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizCaptain View Post

Honestly, I doubt system abuse is the root cause of this implementation.
I agree!
__________________
Dixie landings(1994),BCV(2002) BCV(2004)BCV(2007)BCV(2010)BCV(2012)

lilmomma00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #287
Lewisc

DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 18,288

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Seems they may have lost the race already, given how popular the Coke Freestyle machines are now. I can go to Five Guys, Burger King or the local theater and get unlimited refills and tons of different flavors. And there are "fill-limited" versions in use on Royal Caribbean ships.

I'm actually extremely surprised that Disney didn't go back to Coke after this test and go with Freestyle machines, except that maybe they didn't want to deal with syrup maintenance.

Maybe when they finally run out of Beverly syrup, they'll put Freestyles in Club Cool...
Not all validfill is the company which has technology which allows the valve to be controlled via RFID. Validfill control technology is available for Coke Freestyle Machines and Royal Caribbean is one of their "Reference Customers". I doubt Validfill cares which type of machine Disney uses.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #288
doconeill


Fastpass Jedi Master
 
doconeill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
Not all validfill is the company which has technology which allows the valve to be controlled via RFID. Validfill control technology is available for Coke Freestyle Machines and Royal Caribbean is one of their "Reference Customers". I doubt Validfill cares which type of machine Disney uses.
I actually learned that earlier today - ValidFill adapted their technology to the Freestyle machines for Royal Caribbean. Not sure if anyone else is currently using it. It turns out that Coke and ValidFill struck an exclusivity agreement last year, which probably let to incorporating it in the Freestyle machines.

ValidFill also provides "standard" drink stations with their technology built in, which I believe is what Disney is using.
__________________
Doc - WDW Untangled - New: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - MagicBands - ADR Calculator - WDW MYW Ticket Price Calculator
"WDW is the reason more of us should have paid more attention in Math class." - Me
Commissioner, Official DIS Unplugged Fantasy Football League - MK Conf - EC Conf - HS Conf -2013 Champion oc_tony!
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:50 AM   #289
Lewisc

DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 18,288

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill

I actually learned that earlier today - ValidFill adapted their technology to the Freestyle machines for Royal Caribbean. Not sure if anyone else is currently using it. It turns out that Coke and ValidFill struck an exclusivity agreement last year, which probably let to incorporating it in the Freestyle machines.

ValidFill also provides "standard" drink stations with their technology built in, which I believe is what Disney is using.
The agreement with Coke goes back to May 2011. There is a typo on validfill.com. Click through and look at the date on the press release. Makes sense, Royal Caribbean won a 2011 award for using of RFID to dispense soda.

I think Disney is being used a large test. I suspect places which currently dispense soda behind the counter, to control quantities, might be convert to self service. I've seen signs at a few places (food "court" front of some Targets?) suggesting only one refill or "only" an hour of refills is included with your purchase. They don't want store employees getting soda all day. I have no idea how the honor system is working. Places which offer free internet might want to limit refills. How many hours should a person be allowed to use a table while drinking free beverages? The current option is to either eliminate self service, increasing labor costs or accepting customers actions at the self service machine. It's not realistic for employees to count the number of refills or impose a time limit.

Last edited by Lewisc; 07-26-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #290
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!
 
patsal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Snowy, blowy and cold!
Posts: 9,137

Just back on Tuesday and these are not being used anywhere yet. However the soda machienes at AoA are equipped for the transition already. Contemporary, Beach Club, and OKW were not any different than the p ast andthe food court at Sunshine Seasons has not had any change in dispensers either. This was a huge discussion for us (we change resorts a bunch of times in one trip and don't like the idea of filling landfills with all those cups) and as a result we noticed things that others were doing since it was on the forefront of our minds, we saw a lot of "transgressions" just while eating at AOA.
__________________
patsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #291
doconeill


Fastpass Jedi Master
 
doconeill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsal View Post
Just back on Tuesday and these are not being used anywhere yet. However the soda machienes at AoA are equipped for the transition already. Contemporary, Beach Club, and OKW were not any different than the p ast andthe food court at Sunshine Seasons has not had any change in dispensers either. This was a huge discussion for us (we change resorts a bunch of times in one trip and don't like the idea of filling landfills with all those cups) and as a result we noticed things that others were doing since it was on the forefront of our minds, we saw a lot of "transgressions" just while eating at AOA.
They seem to be starting with the values, so I wouldn't be surprised that AoA has something...but what do you mean by "equipped for the transition"? Are the new dispensers in place? In use (but RFID-disabled)?

If CBR has it when we go, we might get it, then we can use it at OKW (RFID or not at OKW, I've licensed it)...but if I have a split stay in that direction (RFID to non-RFID). In the other direction, it obviously would not...
__________________
Doc - WDW Untangled - New: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - MagicBands - ADR Calculator - WDW MYW Ticket Price Calculator
"WDW is the reason more of us should have paid more attention in Math class." - Me
Commissioner, Official DIS Unplugged Fantasy Football League - MK Conf - EC Conf - HS Conf -2013 Champion oc_tony!
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #292
smitch425
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 11,181

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
They seem to be starting with the values, so I wouldn't be surprised that AoA has something...but what do you mean by "equipped for the transition"? Are the new dispensers in place? In use (but RFID-disabled)?

If CBR has it when we go, we might get it, then we can use it at OKW (RFID or not at OKW, I've licensed it)...but if I have a split stay in that direction (RFID to non-RFID). In the other direction, it obviously would not...
From what I have read, POP's machines are in use, but not the RFID part. And I think I read something in this thread about guessing that ASSpo would not be getting them until after their refurb, but the plan is to have drink stations and grab and go stuff in the arcade, so the refurb should not affect the installation.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #293
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!
 
patsal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Snowy, blowy and cold!
Posts: 9,137

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
They seem to be starting with the values, so I wouldn't be surprised that AoA has something...but what do you mean by "equipped for the transition"? Are the new dispensers in place? In use (but RFID-disabled)?

If CBR has it when we go, we might get it, then we can use it at OKW (RFID or not at OKW, I've licensed it)...but if I have a split stay in that direction (RFID to non-RFID). In the other direction, it obviously would not...
Dispensers with code readers installed on them were in place but the readers were not turned on.
__________________
patsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #294
Ravenne
A queen is never late. Everyone else is simply early.
 
Ravenne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,232

I don't suppose there's any news or info out on how this would work with hot beverages like tea, coffee, and hot cocoa?

Water out of these dispensers remains free and unlimited, right?
__________________
"Have a magical day!"
~R
5/24/2014 - Land & Sea: AOA, Dream, POR trip report
Ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #295
mytripsandraces
DIS Veteran
 
mytripsandraces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,043

Disney Food Blog Post about Rapid Fill Machines

Has anyone seen this yet? There's a very interesting video about how the machines work.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013/0...efillable-mug/
__________________
mytripsandraces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #296
doconeill


Fastpass Jedi Master
 
doconeill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytripsandraces View Post
Has anyone seen this yet? There's a very interesting video about how the machines work.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013/0...efillable-mug/
Nothing really new, other than they've installed a fill station at BC. Seems like these may be rolled out near-simultaneously.

But, "RFID bar code"?
__________________
Doc - WDW Untangled - New: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - MagicBands - ADR Calculator - WDW MYW Ticket Price Calculator
"WDW is the reason more of us should have paid more attention in Math class." - Me
Commissioner, Official DIS Unplugged Fantasy Football League - MK Conf - EC Conf - HS Conf -2013 Champion oc_tony!
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #297
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?
 
bookgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In a OK state
Posts: 5,865

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsal View Post
Just back on Tuesday and these are not being used anywhere yet. However the soda machienes at AoA are equipped for the transition already. Contemporary, Beach Club, and OKW were not any different than the p ast andthe food court at Sunshine Seasons has not had any change in dispensers either. This was a huge discussion for us (we change resorts a bunch of times in one trip and don't like the idea of filling landfills with all those cups) and as a result we noticed things that others were doing since it was on the forefront of our minds, we saw a lot of "transgressions" just while eating at AOA.
Since the non RFID cup is still offered with 2013 Dining I doubt the new system would start until after the New Year. (there was talk that the cups would not be a give away with 2014 Dining plans).
__________________
DL 3/2000 OFFSITE WDW 1/2009 ASMu WDW 9/2011 BC&POFQ WDW/IOA 10/2012 AoA/POFQ/ASMu WDW 10/2013 POR WDW 3/2014 AllStarSports

UPCOMING: 7/14 Offsite & 10/14 F&W Festival (in planning) WL

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #298
doconeill


Fastpass Jedi Master
 
doconeill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
Since the non RFID cup is still offered with 2013 Dining I doubt the new system would start until after the New Year. (there was talk that the cups would not be a give away with 2014 Dining plans).
Why would it matter if someone on the dining plan get a non-RFID cup or an RFID cup?

If this wasn't going into place until the New Year, they wouldn't be taking valuable space to put the dispensers in today.
__________________
Doc - WDW Untangled - New: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - MagicBands - ADR Calculator - WDW MYW Ticket Price Calculator
"WDW is the reason more of us should have paid more attention in Math class." - Me
Commissioner, Official DIS Unplugged Fantasy Football League - MK Conf - EC Conf - HS Conf -2013 Champion oc_tony!
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #299
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?
 
bookgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In a OK state
Posts: 5,865

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Why would it matter if someone on the dining plan get a non-RFID cup or an RFID cup?

If this wasn't going into place until the New Year, they wouldn't be taking valuable space to put the dispensers in today.
They will want to use up as many of the NONRFID mugs as possible before switching over so right now they give them away with DDP.

If the cost goes up in technology they may take the refilable mugs away from the dining plans (they have only been part of the DDP for a year or two) and make you get a one time cup with your meals at CS locations. Thus people even on the DDP would have to buy the cup like they used to do a few years ago.

It would just make sense to start the new program after the new year with the new 2014 dining plans.

Maybe even start the new cups with a new theme which traditionally has rolled out in Janurary. So again starting in the new year.

As for doing the upgrade in machines now, well it's going to take a while to put the technology in place so starting 6m out is not a bad idea.

I'm just putting ideas out there, it's not like I or anybody else knows exactly what, when or why they are doing anything.
__________________
DL 3/2000 OFFSITE WDW 1/2009 ASMu WDW 9/2011 BC&POFQ WDW/IOA 10/2012 AoA/POFQ/ASMu WDW 10/2013 POR WDW 3/2014 AllStarSports

UPCOMING: 7/14 Offsite & 10/14 F&W Festival (in planning) WL

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #300
doconeill


Fastpass Jedi Master
 
doconeill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
They will want to use up as many of the NONRFID mugs as possible before switching over so right now they give them away with DDP.
They've been giving them away with the DDP all year. And perhaps they are already running low on the non-RFID mugs. Don't know. They could sticker the non-RFID mugs if they wanted to make them RFID. They could also sell them elsewhere as non-refillable souvenir mugs. Don't really need to wait.

Quote:
If the cost goes up in technology they may take the refilable mugs away from the dining plans (they have only been part of the DDP for a year or two) and make you get a one time cup with your meals at CS locations. Thus people even on the DDP would have to buy the cup like they used to do a few years ago.

It would just make sense to start the new program after the new year with the new 2014 dining plans.
Or they can make it look like the DDP is a better value. Especially since the incremental cost for Disney has probably been fairly minimal.


Quote:
Maybe even start the new cups with a new theme which traditionally has rolled out in Janurary. So again starting in the new year.
I don't think new designs traditionally rolled out any any particular time. I remember it happening in September once. It's when the old stock runs out that the new design appears. They don't have to really change anything...they just need to get the RFID "embedded", which might be simpler than it sounds, and I believe the mug manufacturer does this already with the same mug forms.


Quote:
As for doing the upgrade in machines now, well it's going to take a while to put the technology in place so starting 6m out is not a bad idea.
It's not going to take that much time to get the machines in place. It appears that four resorts already have them installed, and that's just what we've heard. And that's in, what, 3 weeks?

How long for training, etc. is a different matter. But it sure seems like this is coming fast.
__________________
Doc - WDW Untangled - New: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - MagicBands - ADR Calculator - WDW MYW Ticket Price Calculator
"WDW is the reason more of us should have paid more attention in Math class." - Me
Commissioner, Official DIS Unplugged Fantasy Football League - MK Conf - EC Conf - HS Conf -2013 Champion oc_tony!
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: