Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #271
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrastrike View Post
The most economical route would be to simply affix RFID stickers to the base of the cup (we use these for DoD shipments). To have them actually embedded would increase their cost quite a bit. This also would allow for someone who's chip stopped working (read pulled off to see what's inside) to quickly get it replaced instead of having to get a whole new mug.
The cups have a hollow section. Simplest route would be to have the chip inserted in that section at the time the cup is assembled. Paying CMs to put stickers on thousands of mugs has to cost more. You'll also avoid customers removing the stickers.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #272
LarryBoy
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know if the new RFID mugs have appeared yet at the All Stars? I'm arriving at ASM in 3 days! If so, what do they look like?
Register to remove

Old 07-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #273
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBoy View Post
Does anyone know if the new RFID mugs have appeared yet at the All Stars? I'm arriving at ASM in 3 days! If so, what do they look like?
I have not heard it has started yet. One of the food courts (Sports) is actually closing soon for a few months rehab, so I expect they will get it after the fact.

I believe they will look the same, but might have different lid/handle/insert colors, but not having seen the design yet I'm not 100% sure.

I'm trying to think back...were the mugs used during the test the same but had a "tie-on" RFID tag on the handle? For some reason I'm picturing that...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #274
LarryBoy
Mouseketeer

Wasn't sure, since the original post said starting in July.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #275
TeresaWen
Mouseketeer

The only objection I have is that they cannot be put in the microwave. I use these as drink cups at home all the time and I frequently re-heat my coffee.
TeresaWen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #276
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaWen View Post
The only objection I have is that they cannot be put in the microwave. I use these as drink cups at home all the time and I frequently re-heat my coffee.
I was checking the vendor site, and it does say specifically they are not microwave safe. Unless they make the RFID removable, they can't really help it. And making it removable presents an abuse problem (unless the process of removal renders the RFID void/inert).

Another reason this should link to MagicBands instead...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 07-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #277
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

It's such a gimmick, chipping cups. The more I think about it, it isn't bad, but how on earth is it good? It stops, what, a few soda stealers? Totally worth investing such a hefty sum into what is otherwise a cheap commodity with a negligible amount of lost profit.

They might as well chip the plates at the buffets too. If you're asking what good that'll do, it does exactly what chipping cups does, nothing.

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #278
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizCaptain View Post
It's such a gimmick, chipping cups. The more I think about it, it isn't bad, but how on earth is it good? It stops, what, a few soda stealers? Totally worth investing such a hefty sum into what is otherwise a cheap commodity with a negligible amount of lost profit.

They might as well chip the plates at the buffets too. If you're asking what good that'll do, it does exactly what chipping cups does, nothing.

I can pretty much guarantee that Disney is not "investing" in this tech. It is actually off-the-shelf tech from a vendor, which I'm certain is giving Disney a huge break on it...and in the process, Disney raises revenues by raising prices for the average stay lengths, gets some income from shorter stays where guests didn't previously bother buying it because they weren't there long, AND stop the abusers...this, the more I think of it, was probably a way for Disney to raise revenue WITHOUT added expense.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #279
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I was checking the vendor site, and it does say specifically they are not microwave safe. Unless they make the RFID removable, they can't really help it. And making it removable presents an abuse problem (unless the process of removal renders the RFID void/inert).

Removing them after your trip should not give anyone the ability to abuse the system. You pay for the length of your trip to be on the chip. Even if someone finds a chip in the trash, it wouldn't work because it would be expired.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #280
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
Removing them after your trip should not give anyone the ability to abuse the system. You pay for the length of your trip to be on the chip. Even if someone finds a chip in the trash, it wouldn't work because it would be expired.
After the trip, yes...I was referring to if they were removable while still usable.

It does appear that they are "embedded" in some fashion though - I think like a PP said, it's likely the same sticker as on the cups, but between the cup and liner.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #281
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
After the trip, yes...I was referring to if they were removable while still usable.

It does appear that they are "embedded" in some fashion though - I think like a PP said, it's likely the same sticker as on the cups, but between the cup and liner.
Oh. In that case, it would be faster for the thief to take the whole cup than try to pry something off of one before being caught.

I can't wait to see how this will all go down. Seeing so many people abusing the system at POP for the last several years has been interesting. I imagine there are going to be a lot of confused and angry people at the machines this year.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #282
WisconsinDad
Mouseketeer

Any word if these are available at CR yet? We will be there in 3 1/2 weeks. I'm also curious about WL and the POLY. I would like to know if I can take our mugs with us if we go to either of those places for a QS lunch or dinner?
WisconsinDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #283
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinDad View Post
Any word if these are available at CR yet? We will be there in 3 1/2 weeks. I'm also curious about WL and the POLY. I would like to know if I can take our mugs with us if we go to either of those places for a QS lunch or dinner?
I don't even know if they are active at the resorts that were supposed to be done first, nor do I know how rapidly they plan to roll out.

And as I said before, I don't even think Disney's confirmed it yet.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #284
TeresaWen
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I would be fine with this...if we could remove the chip after our stay then the cups are more useable back home and less would end up in landfills. I guess we can't have everything. It is a shame that abuse of the system for years results in this. My cup will become trash after my trip. Too bad
TeresaWen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #285
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaWen View Post

I would be fine with this...if we could remove the chip after our stay then the cups are more useable back home and less would end up in landfills. I guess we can't have everything. It is a shame that abuse of the system for years results in this. My cup will become trash after my trip. Too bad
Honestly, I doubt system abuse is the root cause of this implementation.

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: