Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #256
huhwhat
Mouseketeer

I am not so sure I want RF in my cup...who knows the possible health issues....I can see it now RFID chips cause of cancer
PoP 2010,2011,2011
WDL 2008
huhwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #257
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhwhat View Post
I am not so sure I want RF in my cup...who knows the possible health issues....I can see it now RFID chips cause of cancer
So drink bottled water and blame it on the plastic.

No trips planned for now but fingers crossed for DCL in 2015.
darnheather is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #258
kmac2384
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlecouture2011 View Post

Honestly it's really hard for CMs to be the bad guys in this situation at all. I worked in a resort on my CP and I know many of the QSR resort locations have tons of college kids working there...it's hard for a 20 year old to try and enforce rules because there's always the fear that it will come back to haunt us and we'll get in trouble, and besides that sometimes guests are just MEAN. I had a grown man with his children make me cry once when I was working an extra parade shift. I was always way more scared to "be the bad guy" after that. And even when I did see people with old mugs (which was ALL the time), even if we explained the rules it's not like we could follow them to make sure the rules were enforced. People who don't mind cheating just wait five minutes until you aren't looking and do it anyway.

Not all guests are courteous and listen to CMs just because they are CMs, unfortunately.
People are mean! And CP or not no one should be yelled at to the point of tears. ( That particular moment is when I tell a customer to get out, no one will EVER treat my staff that way, I know Disney doesn't have the same philosophy.) The customer/ guest is not always right. It is also very uncomfortable for most people to confront situations like that. In that respect the microchip will help eliminate a scene.

Totally unrelated but- as a CP I am sure you remember those handicap guest access cards. Well, we were waiting in a character line and a make a wish family came in. In the meantime this woman and handicap child cuts over to the CM and shows the card. The CM states that they must wait in line for meet and greets. Well, this woman throws a fit and asks why the make a wish kid gets to cut ( UM HELLO YOU MORON). I was so angry I couldn't keep my mouth shut and I chewed this lady a new one because the CM was so nice and patient. I felt so bad for the MAW family and CM. Anyway, that's my rant for today but I totally feel for you guys!
Old 07-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #259
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhwhat View Post
I'm just going to assume you are joking...but in case you aren't joking...

The embedded RFID chip in the mugs and the sticker on the cups are passive devices. They don't emit ANYTHING unless they are placed within a magnetic field of sufficient strength to induce a current through the chip, and then they send a weak radio signal.

The magnetic field is in the dispenser.

The only health issues regarding RFID in this case would be if you stuck your head in the dispenser where the cup goes, and leave it there for, oh...several years. In that time, you've probably got a lot of other health problems to deal with. Like starvation.

If you're worried about the health effects of RFID devices, stay away from MagicBands. But also stay away from cell phones. ALL cell phones. They are far more powerful than the MagicBands...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Last edited by doconeill; 07-21-2013 at 09:32 PM.
doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #260
kmac2384
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post

I'm just going to assume you are joking...but in case you aren't joking...

The embedded RFID chip in the mugs and the sticker on the cups are passive devices. They don't emit ANYTHING unless they are placed within a magnetic field of sufficient strength to induce a current through the chip, and then they send a weak radio signal.

The magnetic field is in the dispenser.

The only health issues regarding RFID in this case would be if you stuck your head in the dispenser where the cup goes, and leave it there for, oh...several years. In that time, you've probably got a lot of other health problems to deal with. Like starvation.

LMAO, I know a few people who's head I would like to put in the dispenser. Hahaha.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #261
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?

This NYT article is an excellent reference anytime someone asks, "Does X cause cancer?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/ma...s-t.html?_r=3&
Jonathan Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #262
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

At this point I'm not sure what's a "real" fact and what's an "internet" fact. At least one poster said the RFID chipped cups shouldn't be put in a microwave oven.

I use my refillable mugs at home. I've microwaved cold coffee. OK not the best tasting coffee. I might do the same at WDW if I was staying in a unit which had a microwave oven.

Hot day, I'd like to be able to fill the cup with ice and still get a 12-16 oz pour. I'd be happy if we had an option to get a 20 once mug. Give us the choice of a 16 oz travel mug or a 20 oz regular mug. At one time CSR offered a 64 oz mug. My memory is there smaller mug was larger then the 16 oz mug offered in other resorts.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #263
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
At this point I'm not sure what's a "real" fact and what's an "internet" fact. At least one poster said the RFID chipped cups shouldn't be put in a microwave oven.
That is indeed a problem with RFID microwave ovens...they will destroy the chip, and, in some cases, cause a fire. Most anyone with a microwave oven knows you don't put any metal in one...well, RFID chips and their antennas contain metal...

I don't know of any RFID chips that are "microwave-safe" at this time. As far as I know, they'd have to be encased in a material that would reflect the microwaves away...and would likely do the same for the signals...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 07-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #264
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
That is indeed a problem with RFID microwave ovens...they will destroy the chip, and, in some cases, cause a fire. Most anyone with a microwave oven knows you don't put any metal in one...well, RFID chips and their antennas contain metal...

I don't know of any RFID chips that are "microwave-safe" at this time. As far as I know, they'd have to be encased in a material that would reflect the microwaves away...and would likely do the same for the signals...
Are the chips part of some kind of sticker which we could remove when we get home?
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #265
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
Are the chips part of some kind of sticker which we could remove when we get home?
I don't recall if they were as part of the test. They were on the paper cups. Whether they are or not going forward with new mugs remains to be seen. I can see problems with using the stickers for more than a few days (especially if you put it in the dishwasher in a villa...)

Old 07-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #266
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?

This sums up my attitude on the RFID idea: http://youtu.be/GFRLSAPnIG0
Jonathan Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #267
Cobrastrike
Mouseketeer

The most economical route would be to simply affix RFID stickers to the base of the cup (we use these for DoD shipments). To have them actually embedded would increase their cost quite a bit. This also would allow for someone who's chip stopped working (read pulled off to see what's inside) to quickly get it replaced instead of having to get a whole new mug.
Cobrastrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #268
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrastrike View Post
The most economical route would be to simply affix RFID stickers to the base of the cup (we use these for DoD shipments). To have them actually embedded would increase their cost quite a bit. This also would allow for someone who's chip stopped working (read pulled off to see what's inside) to quickly get it replaced instead of having to get a whole new mug.
It makes the most economic sense...but how easily will it come off after a few washes?

How will they know you paid for it? Are they going to make me keep my receipt all the time?

Will they know the old ID and deactivate it, if the sticker is missing? Otherwise I could skillfully remove it, put it on another one, and then claim it fell off...

Old 07-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #269
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

To the person that suggest that the machines only dispense to people that have a RFID bracelet, Disney is now selling the mugs to people not staying on property. Therefore, they won't necessarily have the RFID bracelets. So that isn't a solution either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal824 View Post
I'm ok with this too except for the price increase, which I knew was going to happen because the cost of the mugs with the chip is more. $17.99 for a reusable mug we use once or twice a day is probably outside of what I am willing to pay. We always got them on each trip previously. We also got the dining plan each trip until 2011 when it got so expensive that it wasn't worth it anymore. I'm not sure at what point, Disney will just become too expensive and we will find a new destination. This is coming from someone who has loved Disney her entire life. I did the CP twice. I have been every year with the exception of one year since 2004.
We have thought about this too. We have been vacationing at Disney "on property" since 1990, twice a year most years. We have a daughter that did the College Program also. This past 4th of July, we decided to stay 5 minutes off property - $79 a night with a full breakfast buffet, a pool, large hot tub, exercise room, free coffee & tea 24/7. We found that we actually enjoyed our vacation just as much as we did on property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal824 View Post
I also realize that for the most part, Disney does not seem to place a high value of return customers, and I think that the decisions they are making are with that in mind. They are shooting for those once in a lifetime, break the bank and never look back guests. Which is why they may not care that they are charging a lot of money to keep a few soda snitchers from snagging an extra coke.
Disney needs to think about those people that come back. Over the years, we first brought our children and then our grandchildren. We have talked Disney to our friends, who now vacation there too. The hard core Disney fans are the free advertising that Disney gets and the loss of that, would hit Disney hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post
I actually have no problems with the limits, but the whole thing has me wondering if Disney's DDP is waning for families. The mug was included in our last plan. We did not use it at all because we stayed CL, and used that beverage station, but we saw just about everyone in the Marketplace using the mugs. I have no idea how much it costs to install the paraphernalia to implement this system, but it seems to me that Disney must believe the cost justifies the means.

I believe that the fees associated with this system may actually lower revenue, rather that raise it. If a family buys one or two mugs rather than one for the whole family since the cost increased, and each member shares it, Disney has lost not only the sale of those additional mugs, but the family used more beverages.

I am just trying to think about my own family and how we would use the mugs. I drink almost no soda, and generally just have a sip or two. I buy the mg because i like it, but with teh cost increases, I probably would pass on my own as well as my DH. We would just have whatever beverage comes with the meal, and water. my DSIl is the only one in our family who drinks enough soft beverages to justify the cost. depending on the cost, this system could actually cost Disney more than if the current system stayed in place.
I totally agree with this. I know that DH and I often share drinks because we drink the same thing. Maybe Disney can hire Cast Members to walk around the dining area to make sure that people are not sharing a drink.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #270
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
To the person that suggest that the machines only dispense to people that have a RFID bracelet, Disney is now selling the mugs to people not staying on property. Therefore, they won't necessarily have the RFID bracelets. So that isn't a solution either.
They've always sold them to anyone that purchased them...I don't believe they've every verified that you were actually staying at the resort, even though the terms were "the length of your stay at the resort it was purchased". Technically, that stay could just be a few hours...

They are still pretty useless if you aren't really staying at the resort - right now.

And off-site guests are supposed to be able to get MagicBands as well (for a price, if they don't already have one).

So I don't think requiring an MB would be far-fetched (and could open up many other possibilities), but they could have "non-MB" mugs as well.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: