Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #211
doconeill


Fastpass Jedi Master
 
doconeill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,833

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
Some rumors have some facts to give credibility. This system was tested in the Allstars and machines have been seen in other resorts.
I never meant to imply it wasn't happening. Only that Disney has not said a word, so there is no definitive timeframe either.
__________________
Doc - WDW Untangled - New: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - MagicBands - ADR Calculator - WDW MYW Ticket Price Calculator
"WDW is the reason more of us should have paid more attention in Math class." - Me
Commissioner, Official DIS Unplugged Fantasy Football League - MK Conf - EC Conf - HS Conf -2013 Champion oc_tony!
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #212
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran
 
Nancyg56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 15,478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post

Posters who dont like the time between fill policy...would U .prefer paying something like $6 or $7 for the mug and 75c or $1 per fill?
I think I would want to pay one price for the mug, deal with the refill delay, and then be done with it.

I understand why Disney would place restrictions, which is similar to the DDP restrictions, but I think that for the price of soft beverages, this may take some time getting used to.

When you buy soft beverages in fast food restaurants, and the beverage servers are available, most have free refills. I imagine that folks who purchase a meal in the CS restaurants in the resorts may think that policy is true as well, since they are parked smack dab in the middle of the restaurant. How does this policy affect those folks who are having a beverage with lunch or dinner?

I don't drink soda or any other soft beverage often enough to refill any cup, but I do drink coffee, and will often refill my cup. Would I need my refillable mug to do so? This would be inconvenient for me because I don't like to drag it around. I pay for the mug, but hate using it unless I am staying right in the vicinity or going back to the room, KNWIM?
__________________
Nancyg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #213
smitch425
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 11,705

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post
I think I would want to pay one price for the mug, deal with the refill delay, and then be done with it.

I understand why Disney would place restrictions, which is similar to the DDP restrictions, but I think that for the price of soft beverages, this may take some time getting used to.

When you buy soft beverages in fast food restaurants, and the beverage servers are available, most have free refills. I imagine that folks who purchase a meal in the CS restaurants in the resorts may think that policy is true as well, since they are parked smack dab in the middle of the restaurant. How does this policy affect those folks who are having a beverage with lunch or dinner?

I don't drink soda or any other soft beverage often enough to refill any cup, but I do drink coffee, and will often refill my cup. Would I need my refillable mug to do so? This would be inconvenient for me because I don't like to drag it around. I pay for the mug, but hate using it unless I am staying right in the vicinity or going back to the room, KNWIM?
For those just getting a drink with a meal, the paper cups will also be chipped. I read that it will likely be 4 fills for a one hour timeframe. The system is only set up for soda as of now, so coffee will not be affected.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #214
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran
 
Nancyg56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 15,478

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
For those just getting a drink with a meal, the paper cups will also be chipped. I read that it will likely be 4 fills for a one hour timeframe. The system is only set up for soda as of now, so coffee will not be affected.

That seems generous! Now the coffee......in the morning.....I will have to drag my mug
__________________
Nancyg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #215
luvdisney00
DIS Veteran
 
luvdisney00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,036

I think the whole thing is cheesy and cheap. Disney should be going for a more luxurious "help yourself" kind of feel and not nickel and diming something that is as cheap as soft drinks. Time limits on refills....really?? They endorse coke products and I doubt coke charges them much if anything for the soda. They are making a profit on the mugs. This is just going too far.
__________________
DH Me DD19 DD16 DD11

6/90 offsite
6/00 All Star Movies
7/07 Polynesian
9/08 Polynesian
8/10 Port Orleans Riverside
8/11 Beach Club
8/12 Beach Club
8/13 Port Orleans Riverside
luvdisney00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #216
robinb
DIS Veteran
 
robinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 31,571

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
Posters who dont like the time between fill policy...would U .prefer paying something like $6 or $7 for the mug and 75c or $1 per fill?
No, I would like to fill at will like at every other self serve soda station.

ETA: If they instituted a refill delay I guess I would just have to deal with it. I have not bought a mug in a number of years and I was thinking about getting one for my upcoming trip at All Star Movies in about 2 weeks. The drink refill stations are just more convenient than the ones at the DVC resorts where I usually stay. BUT ... if they have the RFID chip and the delay I may skip the mug anyway.
__________________
DVC Member since 1997
Walt Disney World 2013 * Disneyland Paris 2012 * Disneyland 2011 * Hong Kong Disneyland 2007 * Tokyo Disneyland 2007

Last edited by robinb; 07-19-2013 at 02:46 PM.
robinb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #217
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 22,927

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdisney00 View Post
I think the whole thing is cheesy and cheap. Disney should be going for a more luxurious "help yourself" kind of feel and not nickel and diming something that is as cheap as soft drinks. Time limits on refills....really?? They endorse coke products and I doubt coke charges them much if anything for the soda. They are making a profit on the mugs. This is just going too far.
Do you not think that tee shirt you buy has a huge mark up on it? Everything you buy does, at home or at WDW. Not sure why people think Disney shouldn't make money on pop for some reason, when they have no problem forking over $75 for a sweatshirt they probably paid $1 for.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #218
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,887

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdisney00 View Post
I think the whole thing is cheesy and cheap. Disney should be going for a more luxurious "help yourself" kind of feel and not nickel and diming something that is as cheap as soft drinks. Time limits on refills....really?? They endorse coke products and I doubt coke charges them much if anything for the soda. They are making a profit on the mugs. This is just going too far.
Bullseye

It's not really about the price...the prices are and will be ridiculous...but I pay them without complaint.
This is low rent type stuff...it's like Six Flags or south of the border.
It's either "greedy and embarrassing" or just plain "embarrassing"
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #219
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Bullseye

It's not really about the price...the prices are and will be ridiculous...but I pay them without complaint.
This is low rent type stuff...it's like Six Flags or south of the border.
It's either "greedy and embarrassing" or just plain "embarrassing"
I can't speak for their other parks, but going to Six Flags New England with a backpack is a pain. $1 for a locker every time you get on a ride. Evil stuff.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #220
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran
 
Nancyg56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 15,478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
I can't speak for their other parks, but going to Six Flags New England with a backpack is a pain. $1 for a locker every time you get on a ride. Evil stuff.

It is such a letdown. I remember when it was Riverside Park and even though there was a lot of charges for games, etc, it was not as bad as this place. Every time I read a thread about how expensive a day in Disney is, I compare what we spent in Six Flags to Disney, and then compare the value. That silly little walk about they call a parade comes to mind.............and having to buy something in a gift shop to get a plastic handle bag to carry around all the crap that Kady won at the exorbitantly priced games.
__________________
Nancyg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #221
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Do you not think that tee shirt you buy has a huge mark up on it? Everything you buy does, at home or at WDW. Not sure why people think Disney shouldn't make money on pop for some reason, when they have no problem forking over $75 for a sweatshirt they probably paid $1 for.
Didn't you hear? They're putting an RFID chip on T-Shirts, too. When you buy a Mickey Mouse shirt now, you need to pay a copyright license fee each day on top of the price of the shirt. If you don't scan the shirt each day and pay the appropriate fee, the image on the front will disappear. I don't get why people are annoyed at this. Must be a bunch of socialists or something.
Jonathan Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #222
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 22,927

I think it is pretty similar to stores that put those tags on their clothes, the ones that beep if you go to close to the store doors. They are a bit of an inconvenience, but one we deal with because of a few people that steal. This is the Disney version of it. Chips in your mug because too many people had the attitude that well, Disney gets the pop for free, so why shouldn't I help myself to it even though I didn't pay for it?

I wouldn't expect any business to turn a blind eye to blatant theft, not matter how small the items. I wouldn't expect a dollar store to not care if people stuff their pockets with merchandise. Theft is theft.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #223
luvdisney00
DIS Veteran
 
luvdisney00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Swift View Post
Didn't you hear? They're putting an RFID chip on T-Shirts, too. When you buy a Mickey Mouse shirt now, you need to pay a copyright license fee each day on top of the price of the shirt. If you don't scan the shirt each day and pay the appropriate fee, the image on the front will disappear. I don't get why people are annoyed at this. Must be a bunch of socialists or something.
__________________
DH Me DD19 DD16 DD11

6/90 offsite
6/00 All Star Movies
7/07 Polynesian
9/08 Polynesian
8/10 Port Orleans Riverside
8/11 Beach Club
8/12 Beach Club
8/13 Port Orleans Riverside
luvdisney00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #224
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I think it is pretty similar to stores that put those tags on their clothes, the ones that beep if you go to close to the store doors. They are a bit of an inconvenience, but one we deal with because of a few people that steal. This is the Disney version of it. Chips in your mug because too many people had the attitude that well, Disney gets the pop for free, so why shouldn't I help myself to it even though I didn't pay for it?
No, you paid for the mug and you paid for unlimited use. Disney wants to redefine "unlimited" just like many Internet providers have done in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I wouldn't expect any business to turn a blind eye to blatant theft, not matter how small the items. I wouldn't expect a dollar store to not care if people stuff their pockets with merchandise. Theft is theft.
I wouldn't call it theft. Using your unlimited use mug "too often" is not theft. If you're referring to using unauthorized mugs, then yes, I can see that. However, it's pretty freaking petty and bad business. If they want to lock down mugs, then give something back. Make it easier to get a drink than trekking to one or two places that have a machine. Put Coke Freestyle machines in a bunch of places, making additional beverage choices possible. Then maybe I would feel it's a fair trade. The RFID chip just takes things away and offers nothing in return.
Jonathan Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #225
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran
 
Yellowstonetim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Camp Hill, PA
Posts: 1,225

Is it confirmed in writing somewhere that there will be limited return windows for the refillable mug? Where is this?
__________________
I lift up my eyes to the hills - where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. Psalm 121:1-2

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: