Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
snowwhite84
DIS Veteran

Need help choosing a resort!

Hi all! Let me preface this by saying I've been to Disney 30 plus times and am very familiar with the resorts I'm considering. I'd just like some opinions to help me make a darn decision!

We are going for five nights in March and this will be for my 30th birthday

We are two adults who will be having dinner at every one of the monorail resorts at some point. Knowing this, I had settled on the Contemporary. But then I kind of remembered not loving the pool there, which is something we are looking forward to.

Then I had the idea of staying at WL, as the pool there is lovely and I figure we will still have easy access to the monorail resorts. Once I got to thinking WL though, my mind started thinking about AKL, which is in my opinion one of the best values among the deluxes.

But of course, AKL isn't convenient to the monorail hotels. So then I threw my hands up in the air and decided we should stay at Poly--good location, great pool.

Do I sound nuts or what? 2014 rates open Wednesday and I'd like to make a decision. Im split between Contemporary, WL, AKL and Poly. What would you all do?

snowwhite84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

Out of your choices, we've stayed at Poly and WL. We aren't fans of WL. It just wasn't the resort for us. Poly is our absolute fave out of ALL the resorts we've stayed at. When budget allows, we'll ALWAYS choose Poly. Watching Wishes from the beach is an awesome extra. We love having the monorail, and also being within a short walk to the TTC. The resort is just so peaceful and beautiful.

I actually tried to talk my kids into trying the CR for our upcoming trip - just for the walkability to MK, but they weren't interested. Not enough theming there.

We like a few of the mods, but the Poly will always be our "home!"
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
Sue M
DIS Veteran

We love WL. You are right, getting to and from the monorail resorts from AKL isn't as convienent. Poly is great, but they are building DVC there so you may run into construction in March. Check out Tikiman web site or our Poly thread, to get more info on construction updates. What about GF? They have nice pools too.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
kmb584
DIS Veteran

While AKL is a spectacular resort (and a top 3 favorite of mine) I'd cross it off of the list first as its location interferes with your plans for this trip.

Between the remaining choices, I'd have a hard time choosing between Poly (my #1) and WL (my #2). Though WL is not on the monorail line the monorail is still easily accessible given the resorts proximity to MK. I'd probably go with WL simply because I love the look and feel of the entire resort.

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
flamark
Mouseketeer

POLY certainly can't be beat! Apparently though, I'm in a GF mood tonight, because I was going to suggest GF as a choice also.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
mickey2minnie1
DIS Veteran

The Poly is so tropical and romantic! The GF would be my second choice.
Nov/Dec 2010 5 nights at the Poly with my 3 children
June 2010 3 nights at the Poly w/ DH
Oct/Nov 2009 8 nights at the Poly GVCL
Oct/Nov 2007 9 nights at the Poly

Me DH DS 17 DS 14 DD 12 Sebastian 6
mickey2minnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #7
andi95
Earning My Ears

Based on what you're doing I'd say no to AKL, although a great resort. I love WL. It's the best of both worlds seclusion like AKL but close to the magic!! That's my vote. Have a great time!!
andi95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowwhite84 View Post
Hi all! Let me preface this by saying I've been to Disney 30 plus times and am very familiar with the resorts I'm considering. I'd just like some opinions to help me make a darn decision!

We are going for five nights in March and this will be for my 30th birthday

We are two adults who will be having dinner at every one of the monorail resorts at some point. Knowing this, I had settled on the Contemporary. But then I kind of remembered not loving the pool there, which is something we are looking forward to.

Then I had the idea of staying at WL, as the pool there is lovely and I figure we will still have easy access to the monorail resorts. Once I got to thinking WL though, my mind started thinking about AKL, which is in my opinion one of the best values among the deluxes.

But of course, AKL isn't convenient to the monorail hotels. So then I threw my hands up in the air and decided we should stay at Poly--good location, great pool.

Do I sound nuts or what? 2014 rates open Wednesday and I'd like to make a decision. Im split between Contemporary, WL, AKL and Poly. What would you all do?
Out of your choices, we've stayed at WL, AKL, and Poly and my choice would be the Poly. The tropical atmosphere is beautiful and it's great having the beach for relaxing and watching the fireworks .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #9
maryj11
DIS Veteran

I would choose Poly or GF

maryj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:26 AM   #10
Daycogs
Earning My Ears

Location: NJ but born and bred in NYC....still teach there, too!

I would choose the WL. We have stayed there numerous times and have loved it. You are a six min boat ride from the MK! It actually lets you out closer than the monorail does. Additionally this resort doesn't get as much traffic as the Poly, GF, or Contemporary. This gives you a chance to enjoy it even more!
Daycogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:31 AM   #11
snowwhite84
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the tips! So, does the ferry go direct between WL and MK? I know the boats at GF and Poly make several stops. Thoughts?

Old 07-06-2013, 01:52 AM   #12
hotjez
Earning My Ears

yes!

we were just there and took boat from MK to WL. 5 min.
hotjez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:54 AM   #13
hotjez
Earning My Ears

i also need help

i just bought DVC for SS. we should close in sept. ANY chance getting any res dec 30-jan 5???
hotjez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #14
snowwhite84
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the tips everyone! I've definitely crossed AKL off my list. Poly seems a heavy favorite here. My only concern would be the rumored construction. Guess I will have to marinate on this a bit longer!

Old 07-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #15
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I'd chose WL. It's my fav of your choices. The pool is nice, 2 options for TS restaurants, the boat to MK is great and there is a boat option to the CR, love the little gift shop.

I would normally say Poly but with all the construction going on there, I can't imagine it would be relaxing.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 10 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (3), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: