Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
RoseRoni2
DIS Veteran

How do you use your QS meals?

This is my first time getting QS dinning plan, so I am kinda nervous about how to use them. Usually, in the past we would eat breakfast at the resort then a snack at the parks or qs place, then we would eat dinner at the resort. I was wandering if it would be cheaper just to pay out of pocket for breakfast, then use the qs credits for lunch and dinner? How do you work your meals at Disney?
Old 07-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
shell8558
DIS Veteran

This was our first year getting QS plan instead of Regular dining . We really enjoyed not bring tied down to reservations . We would eat breakfast in our rooms and then use one QS for lunch and another QS for supper .
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

You may want to take some oatmeal/cereal packets for your first couple days, but after that, you'll probably find yourself using the QS desserts for your breakfast. By the end of the week or vacation, you'll probably have lots of snack credits to use up, so I would suggest using some of those for breakfast as well.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
Eeyore's Wife
DIS Veteran

It is not a good use of your counter service credits to get a breakfast.

One option is to pack some breakfast items in a small suitcase. I personally like Lara Bars, oranges, peanut butter, whole wheat crackers, dried apricots and the like. My kids know that they only get pop tarts when we are on vacation, so a few of those might be a nice vacation option for any kids along. Grab your breakfast items and your refillable mug and head down to the food court and get some tea or hot chocolate and enjoy your drink and breakfast items.

When the bag is empty at the end of your stay it becomes the extra space you need to bring back all the little extras you had to have while visiting the great and mighty Mickey.

Another option is to use your snack credit in the morning to purchase a smoothie, large muffin, bagel, fruit, or junk food and pair that with your refillable mug. That should get you moving for the day and fuel you until lunch time.

Another option is to ask for whole fruit, or a muffin, or junk food as dessert from your counter service meal and then save it for breakfast the next morning along with that refillable mug.

I find counter service offerings and the ease of mug use great in some hotels and miserable in others. If you are at the Contemporary or Wilderness lodge you just zip down the elevator and there you are!

If you are at the Poly or Boardwalk Inn it can be a much more convoluted journey to get your mug filled.

Breakfasts are the least expensive meal. So pick up an oatmeal for a couple of dollars and a piece of whole fruit for a dollar and have a wholesome, hot, and nutrient filled breakfast for a few dollars.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

Another option we've done is to split a big breakfast platter, maybe adding a snack credit pastry, and then splitting a big CS meal for lunch or dinner, and having a full meal for the other meal.
many of the CS options are very big, and easy to split, and will tide you over especially if you utilize a snack during the day.
We always find we have too much food at CS places.
DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
xbatman
Mouseketeer

Location: Nittany Lion country, but then again, isn't everywhere Nittany Lion country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMom5 View Post
Another option we've done is to split a big breakfast platter, maybe adding a snack credit pastry, and then splitting a big CS meal for lunch or dinner, and having a full meal for the other meal.
many of the CS options are very big, and easy to split, and will tide you over especially if you utilize a snack during the day.
This is what we do as well. With 3 of us, we get one platter at breakfast along with a bagel or 2. We can then split 2 CS meals at lunch and have our own dinner.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
kaybird
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMom5 View Post
We are splitters as well. So many great CS options, we split so we can try more. We do love the breakfasts at Wolfgang puck express, SO worth a CS, then the rest of the time we just go after what ever sounds interesting. Have never had to pay OOP, so use your credits first, then pay later if you need to. More often than not, we are trying to use them up at the end!

kaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
mymankeith
Mouseketeer

I know it would be easy to split a CS meal, but is it frowned on to split a meal during a TS meal? Me and my daughter just think the dinning plan for us is almost too much food, but we want to eat at some good TS restaurants, so we talked about splitting meals, and then buying one or two days LESS of the DDP?? Is that possible?
mymankeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymankeith View Post
I know it would be easy to split a CS meal, but is it frowned on to split a meal during a TS meal? Me and my daughter just think the dinning plan for us is almost too much food, but we want to eat at some good TS restaurants, so we talked about splitting meals, and then buying one or two days LESS of the DDP?? Is that possible?
Yes, you can split TS meals within your party.

No, you cannot buy LESS days of the DDP. It is tied to the number of nights you are staying at the resort. You could make two separate reservations with the first reservation including the DDP and then make another one for the remaining nights you don't want the DDP, but your credits would expire at midnight of the last day of the first reservation, so I'm not sure that will help you.

If you share, you just get to do more meals!
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
mymankeith
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe View Post
Yes, you can split TS meals within your party.

No, you cannot buy LESS days of the DDP. It is tied to the number of nights you are staying at the resort. You could make two separate reservations with the first reservation including the DDP and then make another one for the remaining nights you don't want the DDP, but your credits would expire at midnight of the last day of the first reservation, so I'm not sure that will help you.

If you share, you just get to do more meals!
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure how that worked.
mymankeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #11
RoseRoni2
DIS Veteran

After reading all of these again

I think I am going to pay out of pocket for breakfast then use my QS credits for lunch and dinner. One last question?

I know I will get a dessert can I go back and get it after I eat, I can see the MICKEY Bars melting before I am done with my meal?
Old 07-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #12
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseRoni2 View Post
I think I am going to pay out of pocket for breakfast then use my QS credits for lunch and dinner. One last question?

I know I will get a dessert can I go back and get it after I eat, I can see the MICKEY Bars melting before I am done with my meal?
Qs desserts aren't typically melty, at least not where I've eaten. Mostly rice crispy treats, cupcakes, a few of those cheesecake in a cup deals... Stuff like that.

I've heard mention of being able to come back for your dessert up to an hour after ordering upon request by that may just be at the resort.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
disneyworldaddict
Mouseketeer

Usually in food courts they will mark your receipt if you are choosing an ice cream dessert option.

We use snack options for a light breakfast, such as yogurt, bagels, or cereal. We use the QS for meals on the first or last day. We usually arrive very early and leave very late, so we are short 2 meals. Some of QS are huge "real food" meals. In Epcot at Sunshine Seasons they have a delicious roast pork dinner, that's a quick service! I'm sure this a list on here of the most popular QS that serve the best meals.

disneyworldaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #14
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

If you are at an eatery where the dessert is frozen, you can asked to have your receipt stamped so you can return (usually within a short time of the time stamp...not a lot later or days later) and get your item.
For example...at Pop Century Food court, we asked the check out person to add a sundae as our dessert. A sundae was added as our dessert for our CS credit, and then our receipt stamped that it had not been received.
We went up to the sundae counter after finishing our entree, ordered our sundae, took it and our receipt to the check out where they marked the receipt as dessert received.
DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: