Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #16
Lisadaa2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlsGal View Post
I've stayed at both and prefer PoR. I liked the food choices better. I liked the room better. Liked the feel of the resort better.

Just didn't care for CSR even though it was nice enough.

That's what makes it a hard decision. I know I already like POR so trying something new is scary. We have stayed at AK and WL and loved them both but POR seems to be a better fit for us. But maybe we will love CSR too?
Lisadaa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #17
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

We were not fans of CSR BUT...I firmly believe everyone should try things once and see for themselves. I would stick with CSR and go with an open mind. If you don't like it - you can ask to be moved, or you can stick it out and know for next time that it's not your cup of tea. Or, you may end up loving it and want to stay there every time!

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #18
DJFan88
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisadaa2 View Post
Thank you for the replies! I like hearing both sides. I know if we end up staying at CSR we will have a blast. I am getting excited to try something new... PM question. We like to grab food to go. Thats ok and no tipping? We like to eat breakfast in our room so its quicker. DH goes to get it while we are getting ready. We are a rope drop family.
First off, don't be afraid to get the food in the Pepper Garden. Café Rix really has nothing. We got our food frequently and ate it outside at one of the tables. There's no tipping when you do this. We did eat inside once and we had horrible service (actually no one waited on us at all) and I just went up and got my drinks from the drink guy anyway. So we actually enjoyed the food selections, but much preferred sitting outside. Also, brought back to our room too when others were beat.

They were offering a brunch buffet last year, but not sure if that is still going on or not. When we went it was just regular all day/night.

-----------------------------------------------------------
1997 - off property 1999 - Caribbean
2009 - Caribbean 2010 - Coronado
2012 - POR 2014 - POR/YC
DJFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #19
BigAlsGal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's what makes it a hard decision. I know I already like POR so trying something new is scary. We have stayed at AK and WL and loved them both but POR seems to be a better fit for us. But maybe we will love CSR too?
Only you know your tastes in ambiance . For me I love that river town feel of PoR. CSR was very Mexico. As you know each resort plays music throughout their buildings and buses that reflect that theme. So on all the buses they played like mariachi music. Same for the pepper market. I really felt like I was in my local Mexican restaurant all day long. It got old. Don't get me started on CBR. If I heard that "tally me banana" song one more time I thought I was gonna puke.

PoR plays more banjo music. Banjo and crickets. What is it about banjo music that makes me think Disney??
Old 07-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #20
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlsGal View Post
I've stayed at both and prefer PoR. I liked the food choices better. I liked the room better. Liked the feel of the resort better.

Just didn't care for CSR even though it was nice enough.
I agree with this completely. Nothing bad to say about CSR. We love POR. CSR was lacking in the Disney feel to us. We feel the magic everytime at POR. Just one opinion. When we stayed at CSR I had my original ressie at POR and changed it. I spent the trip wishing I was at POR!
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #21
thumperjr9
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at CSR 3 times and POR twice. We enjoy them both equally. If my DS13 were to choose the resort he would probably choose CSR. We like POR for the boat to DTD and there is lots of shade which I think makes it feel cooler as you are walking around the resort. CSR has an awesome main pool and the bus transportation has been better than POR. The fact that CSR is a convention resort was never an issue for us. I say go for it and try CSR, it may turn out that you don't like it as much as POR but I doubt you will be disappointed. Its a beautiful resort!
Old 07-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #22
Lisadaa2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post

I agree with this completely. Nothing bad to say about CSR. We love POR. CSR was lacking in the Disney feel to us. We feel the magic everytime at POR. Just one opinion. When we stayed at CSR I had my original ressie at POR and changed it. I spent the trip wishing I was at POR!
What "Disney feel" was missing at CSR that was there at POR? I love being submerged in the "Disney feel" so I'm curious what made it lack.
Lisadaa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #23
Flrancho
Mouseketeer

I like CSR. We stayed there a few years ago and the rooms did not appear worn then. Someone even told me they've gone through some sort of refurb since that time and had the doors changed to the new tap to enter? I don't know what else they did though. I'll be staying there again last part of August and early September.

The pool is nice and there are several quiet pools as well. CSR seems to suffer from the same bus issues you described at POR. However, because it is a convention resort, there seems to be less people going to the parks, so the buses are usually less crowded. If you want a moderate that doesn't have those bus issues with crowds or multiple stops stay at POFQ.

I enjoyed Pepper Market as well. They always had a great variety of food to choose from so that everyone in your party would be happy. Plenty of selections that kids would go for too. I've taken people there that really love the place and have requested special trips out there to have lunch because they liked it so much.

If you've never stayed at CSR though, I'd say go for it. You never know until you try it. We've stayed in the ranchos once and then the castias another time. Ranchos were my favorite.

Last edited by Flrancho; 07-10-2013 at 07:38 AM. Reason: adding additional information
Flrancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #24
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

Quote:
What "Disney feel" was missing at CSR that was there at POR? I love being submerged in the "Disney feel" so I'm curious what made it lack.
ya know, it's hard to say, but it just didn't feel like we were at Disney World there, it felt like an offsite resort, again I stress, I have nothing negative to say about CSR. I think I saw more families out and about at POR and it felt a little more 'alive' to us. I really like the theming at POR too, the lobby, the gift shop, and most of all I prefer the Riverside Mill food court over Peppermarket for ease with my kids. I think the 'feel' is a very subjective thing for people. There are probably some that have the Disney 'feel' at CSR, it just wasn't there for us. I hope this helped, kinda vague!
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: