Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
DisneyDreamer1974
Mouseketeer

Didn't get trip insurance, any words of wisdom?

I have not gotten any insurance on my trip this year as we just did'nt know whether or not we will be going for sure anymore when we book. Well as of now it does look as if we will be going. (As of now) It is next month, third week.

I have one of those extremely great priced packages booked with a certain TA at the Yacht Club. It does come with a great cancellation policy, 5 days before I think. We do drive, only around 550 miles away. But I will admit I am a little nervous right now. I will really be nervous after we hit the 5 day cancellation period.

Anyway, the only two things that bothers me is a possible hurricane and a family emergency back home. The latter bothering me more. I do remember years ago when I would book a package or cruise I would get insurance immediately because I was very sure we would get to go. But it is just not like that anymore.

The trip is paid in full, with the exception of the fact that I am going to add another days ticket to it here at the end of the month.
DisneyDreamer1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
Cadyrose
Mouseketeer

We are going August 20-26 and I did add insurance when I booked our flights. I think we may have gone through the same TA as we are staying at GF but could have also chosen YC.

Here was our take. I booked a trip with insurance in '08 and didn't need it. Didn't think about it when we went in August '11 and yup, hurricane developed when there. We did luck out. Irene hit the coast of Florida mid week. It was more like a tropical storm with side ways rain and really gusty winds....it was awesome getting stuck on an Epcot boat dock in the middle of it (holding up sarcasm sign)! When we went to fly home on that Saturday, it was looking iffy since the storm was heading up the east coast on our flight route. Thankfully it worked out. We were able to fly home over the storm and got home to Mass just in time for Irene to hit us the next day (the irony). We lucked out though cause each day it was creating nerves for us, wondering what we would do if flights got cancelled and we had no insurance.

Now that we are going back again in August, I did get the insurance... the extra $100 is worth not having the worry...
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
vinotinto
Just Keep Swimming

What is the cancellation policy of the package that you booked? It should be in your docs. The Disney cancellation policy for a room-only reservation (which sort of sounds like what you have) is quite lenient - full refund of one-night deposit up until 5 days. Within 5 days, you lose the 1-night deposit.

You can add travel insurance separately from Disney through ***************** at any time, but since you didn't book it at the same time as your package, it may exclude pre-existing conditions. If your cancellation policy is Disney's then the price of the insurance would likely be similar to your one-night deposit and may not be worth it.

Aug 2014 - YC Jan 2014 - Disney Dream and WL Oct 2013 - PBH Oct 2012 - BC (DxDP) Oct 2011 - YC (DxDP) May 2011 - PBH and AKL (DxDP) Sept 2010 - Poly (DxDP) Oct 2009 - BC (DDP) May 2004 - RPR April 1995 - AsMu
vinotinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
DisneyDreamer1974
Mouseketeer

It is more than a room only because we have tickets with it. I will be asking my TA to give me much more details about the cancellation policy when I email her to ask about adding another day to our tics. We are not flying, so I have no worries there.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Many, many people do a WDW vacation without purchasing trip insurance. Of the ones the do purchase trip insurance, the vast majority do not have to file a claim.

In the OP's case (driving, very sure they are going and its almost time for the trip) I wouldn't buy trip insurance. But then again, I'm more willing to take the risk.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
DisneyDreamer1974
Mouseketeer

I think we will be ok with such a close cancellation policy in hand. But this will be the first one that I have'nt bought it. Maybe I am worrying just too much.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
WishingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer1974 View Post
I have not gotten any insurance on my trip this year as we just did'nt know whether or not we will be going for sure anymore when we book. Well as of now it does look as if we will be going. (As of now) It is next month, third week.

I have one of those extremely great priced packages booked with a certain TA at the Yacht Club. It does come with a great cancellation policy, 5 days before I think. We do drive, only around 550 miles away. But I will admit I am a little nervous right now. I will really be nervous after we hit the 5 day cancellation period.

Anyway, the only two things that bothers me is a possible hurricane and a family emergency back home. The latter bothering me more. I do remember years ago when I would book a package or cruise I would get insurance immediately because I was very sure we would get to go. But it is just not like that anymore.

The trip is paid in full, with the exception of the fact that I am going to add another days ticket to it here at the end of the month.
How did you pay? My credit card includes travel insurance.
2013 - Pop Century, MNSSHP
Me DH DD15 DD4
WishingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

Well you won't need insurance on flight because you are driving. So, you'll only need it on room and tickets. If you have any dinner reservations I think most can be canceled 24 hours (or maybe 48 hours) with full refund or avoiding any charges.

So, how long is your stay? If it is only a few days I'd probably suggest no insurance. If your stay is 5 or more nights stay then I'd say get the insurance. You never know. And the whole time you're watching those hurricane storm tracks, you won't have to worry (financially).

It's peace of mind that will help you be more relaxed on your vacation.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
DisneyDreamer1974
Mouseketeer

Well I contacted my TA and she said that if I cancel before the 5 day timeline I will get a full refund, but if I have to cancel within the 1-5 day time frame, I will just lose my deposit. So I do feel a little better about it now.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Trip insurance might be pretty reasonable, have you priced it out? We are going in September, which is hurricane and tropical storm season. I got the insurance not so much to recoup costs if we cancelled, but to have options in case of disruptions while we are already there. I'll be happy if we never have to use the insurance, but it gives me peace of mind knowing that I don't have to worry about emergencies while on vacation. I think ours was about $200 and it covers our family of 5 for an 8 night trip. It's an extra $5 per person per day - basically the cost of a snack each.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
dis_guy
DIS Veteran

We don't usually bother with trip insurance for trips to WDW because we have a travel visa card with tons of benefits, our work benefit plan has a very good medical travel clause, and Disney cancellation fees are less unless you cancel less than 6 days before your arrival.

I'd suggest that you find out if you already have some travel coverage (CC, bank, Credit Union, workplace, AAA, etc) and see. The tricky part is the airline cancellation policy (which you don't need to worry about), I think you need some sort of coverage there, just in case, but for the resort, maybe, maybe not, depending on your comfort level. Just my two cents worth.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer1974 View Post

Been to Disney World over 60 times and one Disney cruise. The only time I did trip insurance was for the cruise and that's because my mother-in-law paid for it and insisted on it because of weather.

If you have a family emergency, call Disney immediately and let them know. They are really understanding about things like that. Even within the five days cancellation policy, you can probably move the trip.

And a hurricane? Disney is even more understanding. You can slide things around quite nicely. I'm proof, having done that twice.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
DVC-Don
DIS Veteran

Location: Saratoga County, New York and Poinciana (Solivita), Florida in the winters

I only purchase trip insurance for cruises, and I only get it for the medical evacuation coverage.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #14
Jewel3k
Mouseketeer

We wait until last payment to buy the insurance. Between hurricane season and a health issue that could pop up we don't risk it.
Jewel3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #15
rickers353
I'm All Ears

When my family went with my brother's family I was out numbered against the insurance. I kept telling him and the DW that I was buying it no matter what, because you never know. We went in June and was scheduled for 5 nights 6 days. The day after we arrived we were on the monorail, my wife stepped out, collasped breaking her shoulder. Our portion of the trip ended in less than 24 hrs. Turned out one of her new meds reacted in a negative way causing her bp to drop.

We got a full refund for the unused part of our trip. For me its just not worth the gamble to invest that kind of money the have it ruined no matter what the cause was.

I will not pass up the insurance again, I'm much willing to by pass a signature meal or some other extra. Like I told all of them....you just never know!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: