Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How Far in Advance Were You Able to Book BLT Through CRO if You're Not DVC Owners?
11 Months Out 9 40.91%
10 Months Out 1 4.55%
9 Months Out 0 0%
8 Months Out 2 9.09%
7 Months Out 5 22.73%
6 Months Out 2 9.09%
5 Months Out 1 4.55%
4 Months Out 1 4.55%
3 Months Out 1 4.55%
2 Months Out 2 9.09%
We were never able to book/No availability 2 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #16
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Grumpy View Post
don't know for sure...but i would imagine that the day after the
7mos time frame would be when they had the most inventory.

we own 3 contacts there & that's when we can trade out-
...basically i think our points would be like 2 rooms. at
the 7mos. this year, we traded back out so we can spend 2 weeks
@ aulani this christmas. and i think many owners are
doing the same thing @ the 7mos. period, especially certain
times of the year.
Thank you! That is so helpful! So when you say 7 months, when in the month does that mean? For example, if we're looking at checking in on July 13, would our 7 month mark be December 13 or does the whole month open at once and our 7 month date would be December 1? Does that make sense?
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
SRUAlmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #17
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
Thank you This is so reassuring! We will also be using the Passholder discount, but we can book (if available) before that and then call and apply the AP discount once it's released, right?

OurBigTrip:
You're smart to have a back up, just in case. Our problem is that nothing else really fits our group unless we want to get 3 rooms somewhere else and end up paying double what we'd pay at BLT (in some cases even more than double.)
When I tried to apply passholder rate the past 2 Thanksgivings it was not available. Once due to block out dates and once due to resort being sold out so... It will depend on how busy. I do check daily when I really want something and sometimes I get lucky. Out of 40 stays I have not gotten some sort of discount only about 4 or 5 times.
trishadono is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #18
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishadono View Post
When I tried to apply passholder rate the past 2 Thanksgivings it was not available. Once due to block out dates and once due to resort being sold out so... It will depend on how busy. I do check daily when I really want something and sometimes I get lucky. Out of 40 stays I have not gotten some sort of discount only about 4 or 5 times.
Thanks! I know holidays are often blacked out, but I am worried about summer being a busy time. Unfortunately, I'm a teacher, so it's our only option! I went on Mousesavers and tried to look through the historical AP data and it looks like summer isn't usually blacked out, so fingers crossed that we at least have one thing working for us. You better believe I'll be checking daily I'm hoping, with the new Grand Floridian DVC opening soon, many BLT people will choose to give that a try this year instead.
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
Old 07-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #19
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Thanks! I know holidays are often blacked out, but I am worried about summer being a busy time. Unfortunately, I'm a teacher, so it's our only option! I went on Mousesavers and tried to look through the historical AP data and it looks like summer isn't usually blacked out, so fingers crossed that we at least have one thing working for us. You better believe I'll be checking daily I'm hoping, with the new Grand Floridian DVC opening soon, many BLT people will choose to give that a try this year instead.
DVC Salespeople are telling potential customers that they don't have any BLT to sell. That pretty much means it is sold out to members. You'll have to wait for members to trade that inventory for a non-DVC Disney trip, like DCL.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #20
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

There are 3 ways that DVC villas become available for cash reservations by non-members:

1) Disney retains ownership of a very small percentage (< 10%) of the room inventory at each DVC resort. You'll see these available for cash reservations. I'm not sure exactly when these become available, I'd guess sometime between 7-11 months out. When a new DVC resort is in the sales process, there's also a lot of developer inventory in DVC's possession - the percentage of the resort's room inventory that has not been sold to members. A good bit of this is also often available for cash reservations.

2) If members trade out of the DVC system, for instance to stay at DLP, or a non-DVC resort at DL or WDW, or take an ABD trip, or a DCL cruise, a villa of roughly equal 'value' is sent from the member inventory to be rented for cash to cover the cost of the trade. These don't appear in any particular time frame, just whenever a member trades out.

(The seven month window referred to by a PP is not really relevant in this situation. When a BLT member uses their points to stay at another DVC resort, like Aulani, a BLT villa does not go into the cash inventory. That's only when members stay at NON-DVC resorts.)

3) At 60 days out, any DVC villas not reserved by members go into the cash inventory to recover breakage income for that resort's owners. The difference with this example is, if a member then comes along and wants to rent one of these with their points, it gets pulled back out of the cash inventory and goes back to member inventory.

OP, the upshot of all this is that you just have to keep watching for BLT villas to appear in the cash inventory. There's really no hard and fast rule for when you'll see one appear.

Last edited by Lynne M; 07-09-2013 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention developer inventory.
Lynne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #21
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Deb & Bill and Lynne,

Thank you both so much for helping me to understand the process. It is making me lose hope, but it's good to see how it all works. I will just have to keep an eye on things. Would checking WDW.com be the best way to do it, or can you only book 2 bedroom villas over the phone? (I know at other resorts there are certain categories that can only be booked over the phone.)
Old 07-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #22
RapunzelsGoodMom
Mouseketeer

I booked a cash resize
Ast year in May for September. Definitely not as busy as full summer but no problem and got the AP discount too. Lots of choice when we were looking for May as well but we wanted AKL that trip so we did that instead. Both hotels are amazing.
RapunzelsGoodMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:56 AM   #23
Lil' Grumpy
Lil' Grumpy is really a Big Sweetie

your welcome....i still think it has merit ( meaning that what we
be doing for blt if we 're not owners. ). the reason why is
because we booked 2 weeks/2 bd room over christmas in
case we were unable to trade for aulani.....so i know we gave
up 2 rooms after we booked aulani. the reason we held onto
it, because we know others would try for it @ 7mos.

do you work @ dvc lynne? that is, trying to determine how
likely that is true....i don't think dvc is accurate with all info
they're telling members. and some times i seen where they
tweak their rules making it very un~predictable how they
manage inventory.....i have read others confirmed what you are
saying but then read different results some are posting.

not questioning your own resources...just trying to see how
you figure dvc resorts assigned their rooms. even though
we have been members prior to blt opening...we didn't stay
there until christmas 2110. though there were no rooms
when we called 11mos- {as soon as ms opened}, yet during
our stay, we met some who were not members that
were staying there. then there were some locals staying
day here /there during our stay & there was another room
that was occupied with wdw workers partying.

based on those factors you mentioned, would indicate a certain
inventory they could offer on a regular time schedules for
cash? and i would think the 7mos booking period & the day
after, would be when dvc would release rooms for cash
because they would know almost all the available rooms?

i also think 10% of all blt rooms would give them a consistently
inventory? which makes rap.gdmom 's input the norm?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #24
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

So, basically, I should check every day starting at 11 months? Even possibly at 12 months because of the 10% ? This is frustrating, but I'm not giving up hope!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #25
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
So, basically, I should check every day starting at 11 months? Even possibly at 12 months because of the 10% ? This is frustrating, but I'm not giving up hope!
If you have decided that you want to do a cash reservation and a BLT 2-bdrm TPV is a must, then you should begin looking as soon as it is possible to book for your dates. You can actually book a cash reservation (room-only) 500 days in advance! The catch is that the rate will not be guaranteed until Disney sets their rates for 2014.

If nothing is available, keep checking back on a regular basis. This is one instance when having a Disney TA could really be a benefit. A good one will do the checking for you and they will book it as soon as it becomes available.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #26
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much! They are releasing the 2014 dates and rates on Wednesday, so I will start checking then. Trust me, no TA will ever work as hard to get this as I will. They have many clients, I only have one!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #27
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Grumpy View Post
do you work @ dvc lynne? that is, trying to determine how
likely that is true....i don't think dvc is accurate with all info
they're telling members. and some times i seen where they
tweak their rules making it very un~predictable how they
manage inventory.....i have read others confirmed what you are
saying but then read different results some are posting.
No, I don't work for DVC or Disney, never have. All I know about DVC operations is solely from being a member for 12 years, and reading the DVC boards here on the DIS daily for 12 years.

Quote:
not questioning your own resources...just trying to see how
you figure dvc resorts assigned their rooms. even though
we have been members prior to blt opening...we didn't stay
there until christmas 2110. though there were no rooms
when we called 11mos- {as soon as ms opened}, yet during
our stay, we met some who were not members that
were staying there. then there were some locals staying
day here /there during our stay & there was another room
that was occupied with wdw workers partying.
I edited my post above to mention developer inventory, which explains what you saw at Christmas 2010.

When a new DVC resort first becomes available for sale, 0% of the room inventory belongs to the members - because no members have bought any of it yet. 100% of the inventory belongs to the developer, Disney Vacation Development. As shares of the resort are slowly sold off, that percentage begins to shift towards the members, until the resort is sold out, and Disney ends up with that <10% remaining inventory, with members owning the rest.

In 2010, DVD still owned a great deal of the room inventory at BLT. Probably more than 50%, I'd guess. Those rooms were Disney's to do with as they wished. Rent them out for cash to non-members, give them away to employees so they can have a party.

I think many here have noted that for awhile after a new DVC resort comes online, there are plentiful rooms available for cash reservations, and that number dwindles as more and more of the resort is sold to members. It never goes away entirely, for the reasons mentioned in my earlier post.

But - even leaving developer inventory out of the picture, you will ALWAYS find non-members staying at DVC resorts. Every single day. Whether they're locals staying on a cash reservation, people renting a reservation from a member, friends and relatives of members, even employees. .

Quote:
based on those factors you mentioned, would indicate a certain
inventory they could offer on a regular time schedules for
cash? and i would think the 7mos booking period & the day
after, would be when dvc would release rooms for cash
because they would know almost all the available rooms?
Booking by members doesn't end at the 7 month window, members continue to book (and availability changes) right up till the check-in date. It's possible to book a room on points the day you'll be checking in, if you can find one available.

Quote:
i also think 10% of all blt rooms would give them a consistently
inventory? which makes rap.gdmom 's input the norm?
It's not 10%, it's some number less than that. And part of the reason they maintain that small bit of inventory is in case they need to pull rooms out of service to be refurbished, or to have maintenance work done. They can swap in some of that <10%. And I don't believe there's a consistently predictable date when they know they won't need that set of inventory and can release it for cash reservations.

Since we're now straying into territory that's more appropriate for the DVC boards than the Resorts board, I'd suggest that if you have further questions about how DVC handles member inventory, you post on the DVC Member Services or DVC Mousecellaneous boards.

Last edited by Lynne M; 07-09-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Lynne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #28
twodogs
Mouseketeer

Booked a cash reservation online at 7.5 months out for late April of this year in September 2012. It was a 2 bedroom lake view and I got a 20% AAA discount! All views were available at that time in 2 bedroom with the AAA discount (didn't check standard view) , even TPV. Good luck with your booking!

Also booked a 1 bedroom LV in January 2012 for May 2012 as cash reservation. The dates were pretty limited in availability but I also waited fairly late to decide that year.
twodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #29
TigrLvsPooh
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Anthony's Girl
Got my way

I just checked the passholder site and entered a random set of dates for this month and I can book a 2 bedroom villa at BLT. $869 for lake view and $959 for TPV.
TigrLvsPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:11 AM   #30
Cobern
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigrLvsPooh View Post
I just checked the passholder site and entered a random set of dates for this month and I can book a 2 bedroom villa at BLT. $869 for lake view and $959 for TPV.
Ok so we are debating getting seasonal passes for Disney. We are planning on going in January 2014. Can anyone tell me what the discount is for blt for that time frame (historically is fine). We are looking at a 2 bedroom and trying to crunch the numbers if it is cheaper than 2 rooms at the poly. Thanks!
May 2014 - Coronado Springs
May 2014 - Villas at Wilderness Lodge Studio
Cobern is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: