Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
thinkerbell
DIS Veteran

MagicBand/ FastPass question

I have read lots of threads on this and I have just managed to get myself confused. I haven't seen the answer to my question. If it is out there, I apologize in advance.

I understand that they are not out yet, but if you have the MagicBand as your ticket into the park, do you have to do the FastPass + or can you still do just the regular FastPass? I really don't care to do the FastPass + from reading all these threads.

Thanks!
thinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkerbell View Post
I have read lots of threads on this and I have just managed to get myself confused. I haven't seen the answer to my question. If it is out there, I apologize in advance.

I understand that they are not out yet, but if you have the MagicBand as your ticket into the park, do you have to do the FastPass + or can you still do just the regular FastPass? I really don't care to do the FastPass + from reading all these threads.

Thanks!
Regular FP kiosks are not expected to be compatible with MagicBands.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

If you have a Magic Band, you will be unable to access regular (legacy) FP because the machines are not RFID enabled and the Magic Bands only work for RFID enabled devices such as the "Mickey Readers" at locations throughout the park. During the transition, it appears you can "opt out" using older style tickets which can communicate with the traditional FP machines. However, these will be phased out based on Disney Official sources and you will be limited to RFID only media.

Tests of the system as recently as last month have included a KTTW card that allowed access to both the FP and FP+ system. All indicators suggest this will not be the case with the final product.
agavegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
thinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Awwww. This all gives me a headache. It shouldn't affect us on our next trip--about three weeks away-- but we just bought AP's and are planning a trip next June with our kids and their families.
So... I have also read about people getting RFID tickets now. So, if offered that, we should opt out since we will be using the same tickets next year?
Old 07-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Awwww. This all gives me a headache. It shouldn't affect us on our next trip--about three weeks away-- but we just bought AP's and are planning a trip next June with our kids and their families.
So... I have also read about people getting RFID tickets now. So, if offered that, we should opt out since we will be using the same tickets next year?
If you ordered vouchers, when your AP's are issued at WDW they will be RFID plastic AP tickets.

If, for some reason, you do have the old Tyvek "paper" AP's, it won't hurt to exchange them
(free-of-charge) for new RFID plastic AP tickets... at any ticket booth or Guest Relations at WDW.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #6
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
RFID tickets are not an opt in opt out I believe they are the only way AP are issued now. The RFID won't affect either trip as there is still a magnetic strip on the AP so that you can get regular Fastpasses. It just makes it where you can use tap to pay and tap to enter with your AP.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #7
thinkerbell
DIS Veteran

OK. Thanks to all of you!! I think I understand much better now.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:21 AM   #8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You will have to do FP+. If you come into the park without "pre-ordering" your FP's you will go to an "ipad station" in the park and load the FP's on your band/park ticket or you can load them on with the MDE App (horrible at this time - IMHO). The "ipad stations" will essentially take the place of the legacy style FP machines. At least that is the way it has been explained to us. What actually happens in the future (?) who knows, things change in a heartbeat at WDW.

The NextGen team has been coming to our parade meetings several times the last couple of weeks extolling the virtues and functionally of the MDE App. I have been somewhat vocal in the fact that it is barely working for the ixxx products and is virtually useless for Android devices (which I have a couple of). Comments they don't want to hear and basically don't listen to. Went to some of the NextGen managers and told them the same thing to and got the cold shoulder there too. Just going to lay low for awhile before saying anymore.
11290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
Robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11290 View Post

The NextGen team has been coming to our parade meetings several times the last couple of weeks extolling the virtues and functionally of the MDE App.

I have been somewhat vocal in the fact that it is barely working for the ixxx products and is virtually useless for Android devices (which I have a couple of). Comments they don't want to hear and basically don't listen to. Went to some of the NextGen managers and told them the same thing to and got the cold shoulder there too. Just going to lay low for awhile before saying anymore.
That is very telling.
It is the way many corporate programs get rolled out.

"HEY, IT DOESN'T WORK!"
so often goes unheeded by TPTB
until the inevitable train wreck occurs...
with, and in front of, the paying customers.

That's scary, kids!

Old 07-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #10
Kellitinkerbelli
please stand clear of the doors, por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas

When will they all be changed over to rdif?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
Robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellitinkerbelli View Post
When will they all be changed over to rdif?
All WDW tickets being currently issued are RFID.
Any "old" tickets still remaining can be exchanged for RFID tickets, free-of-charge, at any ticket booth or Guest Relations.

Currently, both kinds of tickets (RFID and non-RFID) can be used to enter the park gates and
secure regular FP's.

At some point, the regular FP machines are to either be replaced with RFID readers...
or removed entirely... we don't know which or when, for sure.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
utkscvol1
DIS Veteran

So I have seen pics with magic band accessories at the parks. Are the magic bands being given upon check in to replace your key to the world cards? We have annual passes so our key to the world is just for charging and the room key
Old 07-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #13
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkscvol1 View Post
So I have seen pics with magic band accessories at the parks. Are the magic bands being given upon check in to replace your key to the world cards? We have annual passes so our key to the world is just for charging and the room key
No--those were intended for the test group and were for sale only at the resorts where testers stayed.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #14
Robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkscvol1 View Post
There are no MagicBands in use at WDW for "regular guests."
They are only being tested (on occasion) by a very small pre-selected sample of guests.

In the future, the bands will likely be sent to guests prior to arrival to guests who have
booked WDW resort packages.

Other guests (in the future, not yet) can opt to purchase MagicBands (unknown price) for use instead
of RFID tickets.

>>It is also the case that guests who wish to use their AP's for discounts, etc. must retain their
original Tyvek AP's for that purpose.
That situation will likely change over time.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #15
utkscvol1
DIS Veteran

Bummer we go at the end of next month. Looking forward to getting to use them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: