Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #16
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by burly View Post
I'm in!
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerfan77 View Post
Such a beautiful wedding! I've never been to a Disney wedding but I have looked up tons of pictures. I love that Donald and Daisy were color coordinated with the wedding colors. Ahh, the Wedding Pavilion....sigh
I know, I had seen tons of pictures too! And I actually have another friend getting married down there next month and I'm attending her wedding too! Same locations and everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbailey View Post
Enjoying your trip report! I had no idea how they do weddings at Disney. I love this! I can't wait to read the rest!
Thanks! It was a really cool experience to be at a Disney wedding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
Wow, what a beautiful wedding. So cool to have Donald and Daisy show up.
I was always curious what a "Disney Wedding" looks like. Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
WDW Wedding and a solo trip- 2things on my bucket list! Can't wit to hear more!
They were both on my Disney bucket list too! As well as a few other things that I got to check off this trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieODC View Post
I'm in! (and following your dining report too!)

Fun wedding - great pictures!
Glad to have you along!
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #17
shalom
DIS Veteran

Those ribbon wands are brilliant!

And the bride's shoes are neat -- fun, themed, the right colors (well, the castle foot at least), and (I would guess) comfy. You have to stand so much as a bride, sensible shoes are the way to go.

I agree with you about the yellow and blue. Daisy and Donald look very dapper! Trust Disney to get the details right.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #18
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
Those ribbon wands are brilliant!

And the bride's shoes are neat -- fun, themed, the right colors (well, the castle foot at least), and (I would guess) comfy. You have to stand so much as a bride, sensible shoes are the way to go.

I agree with you about the yellow and blue. Daisy and Donald look very dapper! Trust Disney to get the details right.
The ribbon wands were fun - and they made a great souvenir for my cats when I got home! I think the bride wore different shoes for the ceremony and then changed into these during the reception. Definitely a good choice!
Old 07-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #19
JessM
We all have a dream

What a beautiful wedding!

I have to go to Sanford for work in the next couple weeks and I'm thinking of adding a weekend at the world after. I'll be solo so I'm excited to hear what you thought of your solo trip!
JessM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #20
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessM View Post
What a beautiful wedding!

I have to go to Sanford for work in the next couple weeks and I'm thinking of adding a weekend at the world after. I'll be solo so I'm excited to hear what you thought of your solo trip!
Spoiler alert: I loved it Don't get me wrong, there were definitely times that it would've been nice to have someone around, but overall I really enjoyed being alone. I did meet up with a few friends occasionally, so it wasn't 5 straight days by myself, but I imagine a weekend would be just fine! I have a blog that I think I'm going to write a post on my thoughts and experiences doing Disney solo, so I'll definitely share that when it's up!
Old 07-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #21
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Checking In and the Fantasmic Dessert Party

So I left Atlantic Dance Hall and waited for a boat to Hollywood Studios. I guess my timing was off, since I think one had just left I ended up waiting about 20 minutes. I got on, got to HS, and went to the bus stop. Luckily I didn't wait too long for an AKL bus, so I hopped on that and before I knew it we were pulling into Kidani Village!

I was so excited about this, since I'd never been to AKL and I'd been dying to stay here. The safari at Animal Kingdom very well might be my favorite thing in all of Disney World, so a resort with the animals around sounded perfect.

I made my way to check in and the process was very easy. I didn't have to wait at all. I mentioned that I had dropped my luggage off at the Grand this morning and he said they would get it and someone would send it up to me shortly. So I made my way to my room.

Unfortunately, the way that Kidani is set up you basically have the lobby, and then two long stretches of hallway in either direction. It's kind of like a very large V shape. Well, my room was basically at the very tip of one of the ends, so I had to walk forever to get to it. Later in the trip I wore my pedometer and it told me it took .37 miles to get from my room to the bus stop. It wasn't too bad for me, but I could only imagine if I had my parents with me or someone who isn't as good walking a ton. Especially getting back from a long day at the parks it was kind of a bummer.

But the room made everything worth it! I had a studio, which felt huge for just me. There was a queen bed and a couch. But of course the greatest part was my balcony with a savanna view!

I immediately rushed out to see if I could spot any animals, and I saw these guys right below me:

Grabbing my camera, I sat outside to take pictures and watch for other animals. I literally had almost nothing on me, since everything was in my suitcase. I checked in around 4:30 and was planning to leave around 6:30 to be at the Fantasmic dessert party. I waited for my luggage, and found some more animals to take pictures of as the time passed:

And I was still waiting for my luggage. I decided if an hour passed I would call down, but shortly before then around 5:20 I got a call from bell services saying they couldn't find it. I tried not to panic because I knew it had to be around somewhere. They said they would call the Grand and see what was going on. Finally about 15 minutes later they called and said the Grand had sent my luggage to Jambo house instead of Kidani, but they were getting it and would bring it soon! I was just relieved to hear it was okay! They didn't show up until around 6, and I unpacked a couple of things and then headed for a bus for Hollywood Studios.

Not before getting a picture of this guy outside of the lobby, though:

So I arrived at HS shortly before 7, and many of the other wedding guests were gathering. A few hours earlier they had made the call to move the dessert portion inside (though we would still be led to view Fantasmic from the special seating). I didn't know where the inside location would be. The guides seemed a little disorganized, as it took quite a long time to get everyone into the park and on their way. And we started walking out in the opposite direction of Fantasmic. And kept walking. And kept walking. Finally we were led to a room off the side of the American Idol building, down past Indiana Jones and near Star Tours.

The room was kind of small for the group. It really didn't hold 60 people, and a lot of people ended up sitting outside at the slightly damp picnic tables. The desserts looked good, though:

Until someone noticed that the fruit platter had moldy fruit. That's just unacceptable of Disney to put out something like that. They quickly replaced it, but it still should not have been there. My poor friend - there was a lot going wrong with this dessert party and I know she was getting a little upset by it. On top of the room being too small for everyone, it was also only accessible by stairs, so her 3 guests in wheelchairs couldn't come down to the main level.

Aside from all of that, though, the desserts were delicious. I was counting this as my dinner, since I hadn't had anything else. I was very pleased to see Mickey pretzels, since those were a little more filling for "dinner." There were also ice creams, the fruit, and cake pops. The cake pops were adorable!

Around 8:30 they started leading us to Fantasmic. It needed to be then because it literally took us almost a half an hour to get to the viewing location. Once we were there everything was really nice, though. The private viewing area is in the back, so while you may not have the best view in the world you do have the fun of having your own private location. It was great to see it from this perspective.

Then we had to wait a million years for the guides to lead us back out of the parks. They insisted it would be faster than trying to get through the Fantasmic crowds, but I'm pretty sure that was not the case. At the nearest opportunity I slipped away from the guides and made my way into the crowds and moved much more quickly!

I got back to my room at AKL around 11, called my husband briefly, and then headed right to bed - I had a lot planned for the next day!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #22
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Wow, what a lovely room. Even if I never do stay at AKL, visiting it will be a priority next trip.

Thank goodness your luggage was found. Good on you for not panicking. I lost my wallet this past April in Disney (it thankfully was found), so I know what that can feel like.

So strange for Disney to have a set up like that and, GAWD, moldy fruit. That's just so un-Disney.

Those cake pops are cute though.
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #23
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Great pics!
Old 07-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #24
beachta1
Mouseketeer

Just joining in!

Sounds like you got a lot accomplished on your first day at WDW. Wedding looks beautiful. Did they serve breakfast at the Dance Hall? And where is this special seating at F? I've read a lot of trip reports but it always seems couples go to Epcot for their dessert party. Having it at HS is cool and different.
beachta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #25
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
Wow, what a lovely room. Even if I never do stay at AKL, visiting it will be a priority next trip.

Thank goodness your luggage was found. Good on you for not panicking. I lost my wallet this past April in Disney (it thankfully was found), so I know what that can feel like.

So strange for Disney to have a set up like that and, GAWD, moldy fruit. That's just so un-Disney.

Those cake pops are cute though.
Yes, you should definitely visit AKL! Try to get a food reservation there - I ate at Boma and it was fantastic. I've heard Jiko and Sanaa are also great and I'll be trying them next time I'm there! AKL also has lots to do. During the day they have talks about the animals or cultural information, and at night there are night vision goggles so you can view the animals at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Great pics!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachta1 View Post
Just joining in!

Sounds like you got a lot accomplished on your first day at WDW. Wedding looks beautiful. Did they serve breakfast at the Dance Hall? And where is this special seating at F? I've read a lot of trip reports but it always seems couples go to Epcot for their dessert party. Having it at HS is cool and different.
The food was really lunch food at Atlantic Dance Hall. The wedding started at 10am but by the time we got around to the reception and eating it was almost 1, so it made sense for it to be lunch. The pre-reception did have some pastries and muffins though.

I agree that the Fantasmic dessert party was unique! The special seating is way in the back, behind everything else. It's pretty much dead center but behind the walkway that is behind the last row of normal seats. It's really just a big slab of concrete behind some railings, but they set up chairs for us there.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #26
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

My Thoughts on Traveling to Disney Solo

In case anyone is interested, I wrote a post for my blog about traveling to Disney solo. It's basically all the advantages (as well as a brief mention of some of the negatives!) that I experienced while doing Disney alone!

http://disneyinyourday.com/2013/07/1...o-disney-solo/
Old 07-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #27
ThePin Princess
disney princess

Just joining now! That wedding looked amazing!
ThePin Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #28
nutz2notz
Mouseketeer

Looks like you had a great start to your solo trip. Looking forward to reading more.
March 2011: OKW First Solo
Janaury 2011: SSR then AKV Kidani
January 2010: Grand Californian
December 2007: SSR
January 2007: SSR
January 1996: Offsite
nutz2notz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #29
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

Joining in! Loved the wedding photos - we were married on June 27th and our colors were the same! (that was a billion years ago tho but wish we had done a Disney wedding or at least Disney themed - loved the colors and the cake was so beautiful!).

Your room has a fantastic view and so pretty! Can't wait to read more of your solo trip

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
heaven2dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #30
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Becky, I read your blog post on Disney solo and I just have to tell you that you absolutely nailed it!
Honestly I could not have laid it out any better, both the positives and they negatives.

Everything you mentioned is exactly right from being able to do what you want when you want without the worry that your affecting anyone else. That's the biggest plus of all.

And yup, the biggest negative (for me anyway) was whenever you had to wait in a line because, you're right, there's not a lot to do. Sometimes that can be overcome if you are able to strike up a conversation with someone else in the line (which I did on occasion), but that's not always doable.

Nonetheless, I agree that the pros far out way the cons. Well done!!
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: