Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #31
super mike b
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1) Have you seen the Western, "Dead Man", with Depp?
That was another "special" movie!
super mike b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:03 AM   #32
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
this movie was plagued by replacements and rewrites in production...it was rumored that johnny depp was kinda pushing it through into production.

Maybe disney will learn...when this happens, the film is DOA. It's not going to have major story/production problems and gross 500 million. not gonna happen.

it does parallel john carter in that respect.

Concentrate on making a good star wars, you fools...that is 75% of your future profit if done right.
THiS..... A movie with this many re writes is always a disappointment on release.

Perhaps studios need to start telling Depp "NO!!!"

His last few movies have not been great......
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #33
Maleficent53
Have fun storming the castle...

I saw Lone Ranger last night. I rarely go to movies in the theater if I think I will be buying it on DVD. I was glad I saw this on the big screen. I enjoyed it, laughed out loud a couple of times (along with the other people in the theater) but did feel like it was a little slow in a few spots.

I don't pay much mind to critics reviews - I look for a film with a story line that I will find interesting with actors/characters that will be fun to watch. Lots of people saying that Depp is always playing the same character, just in different costumes. Maybe, but I enjoy watching his portrayals.

Also, I heard that Depp and Hammer did much of their own stunts and was amazed by the things that they were able to pull off.

I will be picking this one up for my permanent collection. I like rewatching, because you pick up on little things that you have missed in earlier viewings.

1979-1983-1988-1989-1992-1993-1995-1996-1997-1998-1999-2000---and at least once every year since!
Maleficent53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #34
JoWiJo
Longing to go back

Now that I have finally seen The Lone Ranger, I can fairly speak my own opinions about JC=TLR.

The marketing for John Carter was awful. It was as if they expected me already to know his name. For me, if someone wants me to see their movie at the theaters, they need to give me a reason directly. The name of someone I've never heard of won't do it.

The movie John Carter was interesting, but very confusing. I wasn't sure what was happening. Even after watching it again.

The marketing for The Lone Ranger was questionable. As others have said, it's too deep in Depp. I understand trying to use the big name to draw in extra attendance, but making it apparent that he was in the movie as a major supporting actor would have been sufficient for that. Instead, the goofiness seen in Jack Sparrow was splattered on screen. That was a poor decision.

The movie itself was good, but it was unnecessarily long.

Contrary to a previous post, it isn't a wholesome move. Far from it. It is one of the least wholesome Disney movies I've seen, if not the absolute least. It involves a visit to and a discussion of an establishment called Reds. I would say what exactly kind of place that was, but it might get edited out by a moderator. Most of you can probably figure out what that place is on your own by reading between the lines.

Then there are the thematic elements of genocide and barbaric racial hatred, and an instance of a tortuous murder. Plus, a lot of innocents are shot to death. Personally, I don't consider those elements wholesome. Wholesome Disney Westerns would be more like the Apple Dumpling Gang movies.

As for the refusal to use a gun? He does use the gun, people. The first time, he kills two people in one shot. Plus, the hesitance of using the gun at all from the onset is a part of character development and the storyline. It also speaks to his nobility. He actually wants to kill the antagonist himself, quite strongly in fact, but he restrains himself. He prefers justice instead of revenge.

There are criticisms I have about the movie, but since the discussion is JC=TLR, I'll limit what I will to say in response to other posts already in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1) Disney lands another "bomb" of a movie.
2) Everyone KNOWS the Lone Ranger story.
3) Why did Disney think they could re-write it?
4) Even with Johnny Dep?
5) Critics think the movie will lose $100+ million.
6) Just because it's Disney, doesn't mean
. . . "if they make it the public will come"
7) Still needs to be a good flick.

NOTE: Even U.S.A. losers can make up the loss in worldwide
release. But, the worldwide market doesn't jump on Westerns
like they do for science fiction.
1) That's what poor marketing can do to a movie.
2) That reminds me of A Christmas Story where the mom says that everyone knows that the Lone Ranger's nephew's horse is named Victor. I don't KNOW the story of The Lone Ranger. I'm aware of it for sure, but I didn't watch the old TV series when I was a kid. I know just enough who he, Tonto, and Silver are. And of course, the theme music is from the William Tell Overture.
3) It's Disney's specialty. I mean really, how many stories have they come up with entirely on their own? They mostly take stories someone else has already told and put their own spin on it. For a while they were even doing poor rewrites of their own movies.
4) The trailers were certainly too focused on Depp. And his portrayal of Tonto in them discouraged me from seeing the movie until the movie hit the discount theaters. His actual performance was mixed. Overall, I thought he did a nice job of Tonto (of course, I don't have the original Tonto to gauge him by). With that said, there were certainly several instances where he came off as the dufus I saw in the trailers.
5) Well, maybe DVD/Blu-Ray sales will compensate.
6) Yup. That's why I waited to see John Carter until it was on TV.
7) The Lone Ranger was a good movie. Not a great one, but a good one.

NOTE: Horse operas have pretty much gone the way of soap operas.
Fourth visit 2009 -- Celebrated birthday by visiting Animal Kingdom.
Next visit -- Who knows?
JoWiJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #35
jamarmiller
Mouseketeer

For what its worth = http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=loneranger.htm

Lone Ranger has made back its production budget and is still making a little more overseas.

And it has home release, pay per view, ect type stuff to make some more money for disney

This makes me feel a little better LOL.

So wish this could have turned into a franchise.
jamarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #36
aimeeinohio
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
The story was so different from what we had been lead to believe by the adverts. Everyone in our family (older teens and adults) liked it. Not a great movie, but an interesting one.

And it made me want to read the book, which was pretty terrible....that John Carter was one guy who really had a major ego. I was glad it was short and that ego didn't come through in the movie storyline.
I agree with all of this. My hubby loves the movie, I thought it kind of cheesey (the jumping thing, and the woman who was the lead I didn't like much), but it was neat in a way, and I too read the book after and didn't like John Carter much in the book- he was much more likeable in the movie.

I was super excited for the Lone ranger but haven't seen it yet.
Walt Disney World All Star Movies August 2013

...Hoping for a Disney cruise in 2015 for our 20th wedding anniversary...

aimeeinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #37
Whatsthegoodword
Mouseketeer

OK - I've seen 'em both now.

John Carter was entertaining! I liked it. I suppose it was the victim of bad marketing and zero star power.

I can't decide which is the WORST movie I've seen this year: Planes or The Lone Ranger. They were both so completely awful that I'm scratching my head saying, "How do you spend this much money and produce something SO bad?"

Planes was mindless. They just sat up one afternoon and made a riff on Cars - but called it Planes. "Hey - this oughta sucker some folks into giving us some money!" Awful movie.

The Lone Ranger was trying to do too much. It had all of these adult themes (gun control, prostitution, genocide, racism, etc) wrapped up in what's supposed to be a fun story - aimed at families? ...and then you have an man's heart pulled out and eaten on screen? I almost got up and walked out at that point.

So by debating this, I guess I've decided that TLR is the worst movie I've seen this year. Planes was just boring - at least it didn't offend me and scare my kids.
Whatsthegoodword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #38
mvk
Mouseketeer

Not all movies have to be Academy Award winners, and Planes didn't strive to be. It was a $50M movie (when most big Disney animated movies are in the $150-$200M range) that was aimed as entertainment for kids. It more than did its job, it was a very enjoyable movie that my kids and all of their little friends really enjoyed.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #39
quexzea
Earning My Ears

Just chiming in to say I enjoyed The Lone Ranger a lot. I saw it twice My one complaint is the segments with the young boy and old Tonto - they could have been cut. I know I'm in the minority, but I'm all the happier to have expirienced it on the big screen. Everyone in my theater laughed and applauded at the end, so I was shocked it bombed. I thought the film was rather violent for a Disney movie, so I don;'t get anyone saying it was too family friendly. A man cuts out a mans heart, there are prostitutes, and multiple murderings and shootings. I let my 8 year old watch POTC pt. 1, but will hold off on TLR a few more years.

For the record I thought John Carter was terrible....

Last edited by quexzea; 10-08-2013 at 02:48 PM.
quexzea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #40
ls1jt
Earning My Ears

I was entertained by both of these movies. John Carter was bad marketing for sure. Lone Ranger could have been better, like more action scenes and less character development.

I enjoyed sitting in the theater, eating my popcorn and watching them both on their opening weekends. It was a fun trip to the movies
Old 10-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #41
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeeinohio View Post
I agree with all of this. My hubby loves the movie, I thought it kind of cheesey (the jumping thing, and the woman who was the lead I didn't like much), but it was neat in a way, and I too read the book after and didn't like John Carter much in the book- he was much more likeable in the movie.

I was super excited for the Lone ranger but haven't seen it yet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: